Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first post, Pentacon electric repair?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: My first post, Pentacon electric repair? Reply with quote

Hello, I've been reading the forum for a while and I've started collecting manual lenses to use with my Olympus E-510.

Today I received a Pentacon electric 200mm f3.5 (made in Japan!?). I have taken some shots with the lens and I cannot see any problems with the image quality.

However, there is some "slack" in the focus ring. It works fine and focuses well, I just don't like the little clunk I can feel when changing focus direction. Is it possible to easily adjust this slightly annoying problem?

Pete

Last edited by Mad_Sunday on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UP

Welcome, Pete.
Smile

Sorry. I don't know the answer.
Surely, some experts will answer you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete

I am not familiar with the lens. However it might be similar to the Pentacon Electric 2.8/135. This lens is similar to (but not identical with) the Pentacon Auto 2.8/135 for which there is a partial disassembly guide...

http://forum.mflenses.com/pentacon-auto-2-8-partial-disassembly-and-cleaning-t9836.html

If the two (three) lenses are similar, then if the guide rod (see link) is loose this could account for backlash in the focusing and a slight "clunk" when you change direction.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Olivier........Thanks for the welcome Smile

@ John, thanks for the link I'll take a look and see if I feel up to the task.

I also have a Chinon 200 f3.5 which is in absolutely first class condition, and to be fair, it appears to be at least as good as the pentacon. I'm going to do a few more side by side tests. If there is little or no difference I'm planning on keeping the Chinon and selling the pentacon.

Pete

p.s. John I've had a look at your "how to". Do you think it might just be a case of the two screws holding the guide rod being loose? I'm tempted to have a quick exploration Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My first post, Pentacon electric repair? Reply with quote

Mad_Sunday wrote:
Pentacon electric 200mm f3.5 (made in Japan!?)

In the final days of communism, East Germany government licensed the names of Zeiss and Pentacon to some Japanese maker (or makers). Those lenses have nothing to do with the East Germany lenses. They are likely common production lenses such as Sigmas, rebranded with the names of Zeiss and Pentacon as a (rather cheap) marketing strategy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Pete!

Please show to us an image from your lens!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information Orio, I knew that Helios had some lenses made in Japan but didn't know about Pentacon and Zeiss.

Here is my flickr page, I've only been doing this for a few weeks so I don't have many Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mad_sunday/

Pete

Last edited by Mad_Sunday on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad_Sunday wrote:

p.s. John I've had a look at your "how to". Do you think it might just be a case of the two screws holding the guide rod being loose? I'm tempted to have a quick exploration Smile

Quite possibly - I've seen this sort of thing happen with other lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see image from lens itself to identify it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL sorry Atilla........my error!

OK, I'll take a photo of the lens and upload that Smile

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have failed at the first hurdle, the mount is different from the one in John's excellent post.

However the Chinon looks the same mount as the one in his post! Smile ??

Here are some pics of the pentacon electric 200 f3.5 lens.

Pete

Last edited by Mad_Sunday on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:54 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw a German Pentacon like this, in my opinion, this is Japanese. Which probably means that the optical scheme is different from the Pentacon 4/200 and therefore you might not be able to use the latter as a guide for your repairs.
But these are just my speculations...