Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon FM2 and using DSLR lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Nikon FM2 and using DSLR lenses Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I have a Nikon D2x with a bunch of lenses. I really want to buy a manual focus Nikon SLR, like a Nikon FM2 or FM, to use because I miss all the sounds and noises and technical knowledge needed to use it.

Most of my lenses will work with a manual focus Nikon, but I wonder about my Tokina 12-24mm f4 lens and my Nikon 18-200mm. They are designed for a DSLR, and they don't have aperture rings on them. Does anyone know if it will work on a manual focus Nikon camera like the FM2? It seems to me it would work but only at the max aperture setting...

On a separate note, does anyone know of a good online place that will develop my film and scan them?

Thanks for all your help!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they will not work properly, only at one aperture setting (wide open). There is no way to control the aperture using these lenses on an FM or FM2 plus the fact that they are DX format & the image circle is less than the size of the film so there will be vignetting . The only film cameras that can change the aperture using these lenses are a couple of the newer AF models & you still have the DX vs FX issue...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to your question on film developing: what country are you in?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
No, they will not work properly, only at one aperture setting (wide open).

Worse, fully closed and not AI coupled, so that the meter won't work either.

Sevo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
With regard to your question on film developing: what country are you in?

I am in the US. I found a place locally that will process my negatives and scan them (8x12, 300dpi) for 7 dollars for a 24 roll. I thought that was a pretty decent price...

But, if there are better ones online, I would love to hear it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon FM2 and using DSLR lenses Reply with quote

I take my film to the local Walmart and request "process only, no prints" for $1.79 per roll (24 or 36!) then I take them home and scan with my Epson V700 at 4800 dpi. I order my film online for $2.00 average (36 frames) so I'm happy with $4.00 total! Incidently, I am looking for a D2x to wet my feet with digital Smile. Are you happy with yours?
SiloMunke wrote:
Hi everyone.
I have a Nikon D2x with a bunch of lenses. I really want to buy a manual focus Nikon SLR, like a Nikon FM2 or FM, to use because I miss all the sounds and noises and technical knowledge needed to use it.

Most of my lenses will work with a manual focus Nikon, but I wonder about my Tokina 12-24mm f4 lens and my Nikon 18-200mm. They are designed for a DSLR, and they don't have aperture rings on them. Does anyone know if it will work on a manual focus Nikon camera like the FM2? It seems to me it would work but only at the max aperture setting...

On a separate note, does anyone know of a good online place that will develop my film and scan them?

Thanks for all your help!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon FM2 and using DSLR lenses Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:

Nikon "G" lenses will not work properly on any of the manual F cameras. They will work, but you'll not have any control over the aperture.

One of the side benefits of the great autofocus invention: we get most expensive completely useless doorstops once we want to use them on a manual camera.