Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trying out CZJ 135/3.5 with an extension ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Trying out CZJ 135/3.5 with an extension ring Reply with quote

The same plant, but on different days. Both shots at f/5.6. Nikon D200, ISO 400

1. Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 with a simple M42 - Nikon adapter and a PK-13 extension ring (27,5 mm).

2. Micro-Nikkor 105/4 AI-S

From this pair, I prefer CZJ colours. This is pre-set lens on a Nikon body, so not so easy to use. And the focusing is stiff, so it tends to unscrew from the adapter when changing the focus.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor image is much better under all accounts IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look great.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent colours.

Great pics.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the comments.

Yes, the Nikkor picture is better, composition, background, maybe lightning, too, but the in my eyes, the CZJ does a decent job here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Thank you for the comments.

Yes, the Nikkor picture is better, composition, background, maybe lightning, too, but the in my eyes, the CZJ does a decent job here.

Yes, the subjects not the same in both.

The nikkor is a cold lens while the CZJ is warmer (I prefer this last)

And in the "white detail" I see better resolution in the CZJ. Specially the second to fourth from our left.

I can't comparate the bokeh.

The nikkor seems to be with more contrast, but perhaps it's only a colder effect. Nikkor excesive cold for my taste

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too prefer #2. I think the colours are more accurate in the nikkor shot too - if this is a "Dutchman's Breeches/Bleeding Heart/Dicentra". Of course it could be my monitor, but....

Rino
I have heard the "cold colours" comment in the past about nikkors, but I have never been sure what that means. To me in very general terms, Canon over-saturates (a bit), Zeiss tends to have a lot of "contrast" and so on, but for the most part with today's technology (software) much of the look of a photograph on the screen can be manipulated. This is of course a double-edged sword Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way the Nikkor separates the cold green of the leaf from the warm green of the background. In the CZJ image all greens look similar.

Also the Nikkor has better micro-contrast and this makes the stem 3-dimensional while the CZJ stem looks flat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I like the way the Nikkor separates the cold green of the leaf from the warm green of the background. In the CZJ image all greens look similar.

Also the Nikkor has better micro-contrast and this makes the stem 3-dimensional while the CZJ stem looks flat.

I think it is just about impossible to compare the technical merits of the lenses based on these images as they are rather different in too many ways - light, possibly white balance, different view of the object, and there is just too much post processing (or in camera jpeg-processing, I don't know) for me to make really any sensible comparisons. Half of the details has gone with noise reduction.

Still, nice plants/flowers - I wonder what those are?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images are too different to compare. Both look good to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu

That is the dicentra spectabilis, sometimes known as the "Dutchman's Breeches" or "Bleeding Heart"

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Patrick - I think I will try to go out tomorrow to find some of those beautiful samples of flora.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, nice images but simply too many variables to make a proper comparison between how the two lenses compare.