Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Latest acquisitions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Latest acquisitions Reply with quote

I stopped by the shop and picked up a bunch of things today. Some are a bit curious, if anyone knows the background on these lenses I'd love to know.

Vivitar 200/3.5 (M42) - It looks like there's a lot of versions of this.

Wide open:

Yashica Auto Yashinon 35/2.8 (M42) - I haven't been able to turn up much on this lens through Google, here or eBay.

Petri 55/1.8 (M42) - Can't find much on this lens either. The aperture ring is step-less and turns smoothly.

Kenko 180 Degree Fisheye Converter
This thing's a piece of junk! The CA is unbelievable. But I'm sure I'll find a use for it, and it was only $5. The image circle is too small on anything under 50mm, and with 100mm or longer its so soft you can tell in the viewfinder. Paired with a Zuiko 50/1.4 at f2 with the adapter at f8-16, it's good enough to play around with. I want to try it with lightning.

I also picked up a Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 in PK mount and a Super Takumar 28/3.5.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that Kenko thing. For no good reason. I just love it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintoid wrote:

I was able to dig up some information on the Kenko with Google. Apparently one was used as the prop eye for HAL 9000?
http://dpanswers.com/lenses_waconv.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike!
These samples show some promise ehe?
That Yashinon is a rare bird.
Maybe the performance is not unusual as there are many amazing 35mm lens offerings about.
That model is not often seen ....Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Yashinon may be from the first or second version Yashica M42 SLR's, where the focal lengths seem to have been in cm, known as "Reflex 35" or "Penta J", or "J3". A side view of the aperture scale styling may identify it.

The 135 may have been an auto lens also. The other (preset tele) lenses were listed as Yashinon-R's, and those were Tokinas (aka Tokyo Koki). But there is no way to be certain who made this auto lens, Tokina, Tomioka ?

In any case that is certainly a find, you don't come across these every day.

The Vivitar seems to be from the "serial number" era, if so, and if I'm reading the fuzzy serial number as beginning with a "28", thats a Komine lens.

If the Petri is an M42 that could be the "normal" on one of the 1970's Petri models possibly made by Cosina. It doesn't look like one of the early Petri lenses from 1958 that were likewise M42. " target="_blank">Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Vivitar. What are the 1st 2 numbers of the serial number. I can't tell if it's 28 (Komine) or 22 (Kiron).

The fish eye could be fun with a bit of PP.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I really like the Vivitar. What are the 1st 2 numbers of the serial number. I can't tell if it's 28 (Komine) or 22 (Kiron).

The fish eye could be fun with a bit of PP.
Probably a Komine with a 28 serial number. I just bought one myself. A very sharp lens and a keeper fer sher. Like the Yashinon thingy.. Just kidding with the thingy but it should be a keeper as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest acquisitions Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
....I also picked up a Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 in PK mount and a Super Takumar 28/3.5.

The VS1 28-90 is a very good lens. Mine is in PK mount too, but it has fungus Sad I don't know whether the fungus played a role or not, but mine is very sharp at 90mm, but gets softer at 28mm.

The Tak 28 is also a nice little gem, I like the colors that come out of Takumars. Get a hood for it, it's a necessary accessory. I even put one for my S-M-C version despite being multi-coated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check the serial on the Vivitar when I get home tonight.

Last night I checked the lenses with a flashlight and it seems the Petri has some pretty widespread fungus on the second element from the rear. The Yashinon also has a lot of internal dust in the rear elements, enough so it's difficult to tell if there's any fungus. Everything else seems to check out OK.

I'll get a picture of the aperture scale on the Yashinon as well. Hopefully it's possible to disassemble it so I can clean it up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petri 1973/4 single coat lens. Not cheap in this time (yes, it's true).

Average lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintoid wrote:

+1 for the Kenko Smile I should get one myself just for the fun of having a ciscular fisheye for cheap. I wouldn't print circular fisheye images, and the lens seems to have enough sharpness in it to produce quality Web-sized shots.

Vivitar 200/3.5 is unbeatable for the price. I have a non-SMC Takumar 200/4, and the Viv is almost as sharp as the Tak wide open (albeit with more purple CA).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: kenko/spiratone aux fisheye Reply with quote

I remember seeing good reviews of the spiratone AKA kenko, reprints from modern or pop photography 1970s at the spiratone store in manhattan. Gist was sharp in the center, lousy at edges but results close to a conventional fisheye at a fraction of the cost.

And what a great store was spiratone. Imagine, a camera store staffed by people from this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar is #28633509, so Komine it is then.

Here's the aperture ring on the Yashinon:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it looks like the 50mm "normal" Yashinon for the Yashica "J" series.

The style is a predecessor to the famous Yashinon-DX series.

Early-mid 1960's I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may be allowed to resurrect my dead thread... I finally got that shot I wanted with the Kenko fisheye:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the kenko fish effect.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHoa !!! Great capture!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lightning shot! And, well, if I could own a lens that used for HAL9000, I would gladly pay $5 (despite the fact that I have an $800 circular fisheye from Sigma Laughing )

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
If I may be allowed to resurrect my dead thread... I finally got that shot I wanted with the Kenko fisheye:

amazing shot. great timing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot - Congrats.
I never ever saw a lightning shot with a fisheye.
I am impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Mike Deep wrote:

http://mikedeep.smugmug.com/photos/566992843_4naKA-L.jpg

Sweeeeeet shot! IC what you're meaning by soft. The edges/trees are nothing to write home about. Hey Mike... I can't get any EXIF data from the image. Got this for me?

Oh, and see you're a SM'r in Tampa. Drop me an email some time... MooreFoto AT gmail DOT com ...I spent 4 years in Cocoa Beach and many more in St Pete Bch. Or I may drop you one sometime. Found yours on the site. l8tr

Sure thing.

Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Shooting Mode: Aperture-Priority AE
Shutter Speed: 3.2
Aperture Value: 1.8 (Actually f16)
Metering Mode: Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation: 0
ISO Speed: 100
Focal Length: 50.0mm (Actually ~9mm)
Image Quality: RAW

The host lens was a Yashinon 55/1.2@1.2 and the Kenko was set @f16 (The M42 adapter has an AF confirm chip that reports the lens as a Canon EF 50/1.8).

The full gallery from last night is here, but that was the only successful fisheye shot. It was interesting going back and forth between the two cameras and keeping up with the lightning, which shifted from E to S. Ultimately I think I let the Rebel fire blindly once it got dark enough, and I manned the 30D manually.