Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The "Universal 28mm" Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: The "Universal 28mm" Lens Reply with quote

I recently picked up this Argus-Cintar 28 from an ebay auction with these two Argus STL 1000 bodies. The Miida lens is a purchase from some years ago. Back in the early 1970s, this 28 was sold with many labels. Hanimex was most familiar to me, followed by Tamron "F System". Elicar, Miida, Chinon, are just a few of the others. The origin of this lens was a subject of much discussion on this forum some years ago. Myself and others attributed it to Tomioka as it shared the leather grain focus grip with lenses labeled Chinon-Tomioka. Time passed and that seemed increasingly unlikely, mostly due to the "Nikon/Pentax focus direction. I tend to rule out Chinon as the manufacturer as they made lens barrels but not lenses, though there's room for argument there. The consensus seems to have settled on Sun as physical attributes most closely resemble Soligors with the Sun serial number prefix.

This Argus makes things interesting. Look closely at the Argus and Miida side by each. Styling is identical but for different rubber focus grips. Both take 62mm filters. Aperture rings share the same orientation but look at the distance engravings. These lenses focus opposite each other!

What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun. The left to right ascending aperture is typical for (not unique to) Sun and the Plastic A/M switch shape is a dead give away. Also diamond on a stick focussing mark.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is even an Universar Universal 28/2.8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick survey of ebay listings show the M42 Argus-Cintar in two variants, early and Multi Coated. Curiously, the F-stop scale is opposite on the pre MC versions I saw listed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several "Elicar" labelled lenses that seem to be from the same manufacturer (identical engravings including the funny point above the f2.8 position, two silver rings around the focusing grip [or an entirely silver barrel], same aperture ring, M/A switch ... you name it:

Elicar Automatic 1:2.8 f=35mm
Elicar Automatic 1:2.8 f=135mm

An Elicar Automatic 1:2.8 f=100mm looks very similar, too.

S

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
An Elicar Automatic 1:2.8 f=100mm looks very similar, too. S

Curious to see your 100mm. I have a "Hanimar" branded 100 with an all metal focus grip and 690xxx serial.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
stevemark wrote:
An Elicar Automatic 1:2.8 f=100mm looks very similar, too. S

Curious to see your 100mm. I have a "Hanimar" branded 100 with an all metal focus grip and 690xxx serial.

Here it is:

And here are the two other lenses mentioned - while it's not easily visible, they have the same typical silver strips just next to the rubber focusing grip:

Elicar 100mm 1:2.8 has Minolta SR mount, the two others are M42. All these ölenses are marked "Made in Japan".

BTW I have other (Carenar branded) lenses with some superficial similarities (such as the double silver strip above/belof the focusing rubber), but they are marked "Made in Korea".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On most of the non-Soligor examples, I am fairly sure the first two digits of the serial number are the year of manufacture. If true, that lens was made for at least 8 years, as I have two with a '70' serial. In my experience,the lens is quite competent for a third party effort in that period, which may have a bearing on how long it stayed on the market, and the vast amount of different badges it appeared under, as well as the vast number of slightly different stylings you can find for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Silver 135 but I believe it differs from your Elicar. I'll have to dig it out. I also have a Soligor 28 that is not a Tokina but differs from these "Sun" lenses by having a 58mm filter rather than 62.

Alun, I think you are correct regarding the serials being the year of manufacture.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prinzflex Auto Reflex 200 / 3.5. It looked nice, it was in mint condition. It was one of the worst lens' I've ever had. I gave it away, I wouldn't sell it.

I've had a few lenses with the silver bands around the rubber grip, and I don't think any have been much good, barely making it to average.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be worse than this Makina Prinzflex 200/3.3
Prinzflex Auto MC 1:3.3 200mm by The lens profile, on Flickr

This one also made by sun is pretty decent though (Chinon 200/3.5)
Auto-Chinon 200mm F/1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prinzflex was one of the line of lenses that was sold by the Dixons elecrtrical chain stores back in the 70's - and they sold some junk. Mostly rebranded Zenit and Practika, and lenses from whoever was the cheapest! The Zenits would often not come with a Helios.

They did sell Chinon camera's and lenses as their 'premium range' but that doesn't make them any better as a photographic dealer. The majority of stuff they sold was crap. And a lot of the cheap lenses they sold had the distinctive silver bands around the grips, and they often sold the same lenses with different 'brand' names, you could visit different stores and find the same lens with a different brand, or completely different lenses of the same focal length and aperture sold as the same brand. It was a lottery. The only thing you could guarantee was that the lens would be the cheapest junk they could find.

I've mentioned Chinon, and the did make many lenses with the double silver bands, as did Takumar. Here's my Chinons - the first one is the 55 / 1.7 and is a very good lens. The second is a 28 / 2.8 and very average, I've got better. But the 55 / 1.7 is vastly different to these other cheap lenses that were probably made in a shed in a back street of Tokyo. The 28 / 2.8 ? It might be from the shed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
... It was one of the worst lens' I've ever had. I gave it away, I wouldn't sell it.

The same goes for my similar looking (silver) Elicar 2.8/35mm and Elicar 2.8/135mm lenses. Pretty much the worst lenses in their forcal length I know - and I have quite a few 35mm and 135mm lenses ...

S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I've mentioned Chinon, and the did make many lenses with the double silver bands, as did Takumar. Here's my Chinons - the first one is the 55 / 1.7 and is a very good lens. The second is a 28 / 2.8 and very average, I've got better. But the 55 / 1.7 is vastly different to these other cheap lenses that were probably made in a shed in a back street of Tokyo. The 28 / 2.8 ? It might be from the shed.

The 28mm is an earlier effort from Mitake. Their earlier lens ranges were not great but they did improve. They also had a more upmarket range of faster lenses, 135/1.8, 35/1.8, 28/2 and 24/2.5 that were somewhat better. But in general they were a bit like Makinon, well made physically but usually not great optically.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My battered Berolina. True Sonnar, superb image quality.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Berolina has to be the same manufacturer as the Prinzflex 200.

I tried to like it, I had it for years and would often try it, maybe in the hope it matured with age like a fine wine. Rolling Eyes But it didn't, and I don't think the lens was decentered or damaged. in any way - it was soft and had no contrast or colour to it.
I had it attributed to SUN, but that was quite possibly wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I don't think the lens was decentered or damaged. in any way - it was soft and had no contrast or colour to it.

At fifty years of age many of these have probably spent a lot of time ignored and stored badly. After receiving the Argus I pulled out the Miida and found that while the focus ring moved nicely, the aperture ring was stuck hard at f-4. Upon disassembly, I found the mechanism covered in thickening oil and the element immediately forward of the iris coated with oil. I don't think this example would have made good images. I have to go back in with something stronger than alcohol to get all of that oil cleaned up. Perhaps your lens suffers the same ailment.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That Berolina has to be the same manufacturer as the Prinzflex 200.

I tried to like it, I had it for years and would often try it, maybe in the hope it matured with age like a fine wine. Rolling Eyes But it didn't, and I don't think the lens was decentered or damaged. in any way - it was soft and had no contrast or colour to it.
I had it attributed to SUN, but that was quite possibly wrong.

I am not sure if you mean 135 or 200mm. I can vouch for 135mm F3.5. Found many samples taken a time ago with the above battered lens. See bottom of this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/need-help-identifying-lens-dimension-135mm-f3-5-t53724.html