Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best and practical Contax lens set/ your opinion please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Best and practical Contax lens set/ your opinion please Reply with quote

Which Contax set could serve right and well your photographic needs?

[from ultra wides to long teles]

Mark the lens that you have most time on your camera.

Please answer taking in account no collecting needs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distagon 1.4/35 Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it depends on the application, but in gerneral:

#1 Planar 1.4/50
#2 Distagon 2/28
#3 Distagon 2.8/21
#4 Planar 2/100

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax? Hmmm... Zeiss!
I would opt for the complete new Zeiss ZE set.
That would be perfect for my Canon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time I go to Athens, I can bring some lens so you try them and make your opinion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
next time I go to Athens, I can bring some lens so you try them and make your opinion

That's very kind of you. I am waiting. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that it's summer (almost) there is light outside. We are liking the 35-70/3.4 more and more. Other CZ that we have are 35/2.8 and 50/1.7, but they don't get used at all since we got the 35-70.

I know it's a zoom, but even Zeiss says it *is* better than their primes at the fl. Very Happy So if you don't mind zoom, go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you speaking plural, bawang?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plural - perhaps when photography is concern it's always a race to the camera in my house between my daughters and yours trully. I usually 'lost' the Dslr to them. Luckily they don't appreciate the TLRs yet.

And as time passed, we generally come to the same conclusion. So in this case the 35-70 got 2 votes Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with the 35-70, which by all accounts is a wonderful lens, is that you would still have to carry a fast 50mm for low-light shots. And on a full-frame body the wide and tele ends are neither wide nor tele enough for my needs.

I love mine, but I believe it would make a lot more sense on a crop-sensor digital body, where it would be a monstrously sharp portrait zoom at f/5.6 and a slightly more flattering portrait zoom at f/3.4. When I shoot portraits on my 5D I tend to leave the 35-70mm at 70mm all the time, wishing that it would zoom in a little bit more. I like the fact that, if I am shooting sharp, I don't need to swap to a 50mm lens. I have tested mine against some of the 50mm lenses I own, and it is almost indistinguishably less sharp in the extreme corners, albeit that it has more distortion than a prime.

It is the only Contax / Zeiss lens I own, although I have a couple of non-Zeiss Contax/Yashica lenses. Based on your question, "which Contax set could serve right and well your photographic needs?", and assuming this is not for the Contax G, and further assuming that I am going to grind off the mounts and put them on my Canon 5D instead, I would sell the Zeiss 35-70mm and buy a Zeiss 50mm f/1.7. That's your answer.

Or I would keep the 35-70mm and modify my shooting style to fit, which is probably what I will do.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ashley! Thank you for joining us!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 Distagon 2.8/21
#2 Distagon 1.4/35
#3 Planar 85mm f1.4
#4 Sonnar 180mm f1.8
#5 Tessar 300mm f4

My selecetion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley Pomeroy wrote:
My issue with the 35-70, which by all accounts is a wonderful lens, is that you would still have to carry a fast 50mm for low-light shots. And on a full-frame body the wide and tele ends are neither wide nor tele enough for my needs.

I agree with you. I had the Planar 1.7/50 in the bag this weekend during the family trip out of town. But surprisingly, I never had the need for it, neither did my daughter. But I am sure, had there been a need for lowlight pics, the 50 would be out of the bag.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ask Best and Practical.
Well, they are all the best Very Happy

The most Practical are often overlooked.

The 2.8/85 and 3.5/100 Sonnars are stellar and very compact.
I have finally made use of a 200mm now that I have the 4/200.
For a zoom the 40-80 is my choice with it's very useful range and constant aperture (Made in Germany as well).

to pick just one it would be the one I don't have...........Distagon 1.4/35 Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the time, i had 28/2.8, 28/2, 45/2.8, 50/1.4 (2), 85/1.4 (2) and 135/2.8 but I just cut down to keep only 3 lenses: 28/2.8, 28/2 and 85/1.4.

The reason is that i try to keep the ones I like best, selling the less frequently used to pay for other item Razz

Anyway, in the future, if the situation allows me to build a dream set, it would be:

25/2.8
28/2
28/2.8 (not sure if i need this together with 28/2 and 25/2.8, but it is hard to sell this small lens Embarassed)
35/1.4
85/1.4
100 makro