Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Berlin Old Museum Nightshots - Distagon 15&18
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Berlin Old Museum Nightshots - Distagon 15&18 Reply with quote

Some night- or funshots from my last visit in Berlin in march. It was very cold, freezing -15°C - something I'm not used to Shocked
Shots were taken after midnight, with a tripod.

Distagon 15, f5.6 15sec, ISO160

Distagon 15 f5.6 13sec, ISO160

Distagon 15 f5.6 13sec, ISO160 here my tripod collapsed, smashing my Distagon and 5D on the concrete ground. I decided to keep the picture, I kind of like it,
it's the last pic taken with the Dist15 (in Oberkochen for repair soon)
Looks like there are crying skulls above the sign - pretty scary?

swapped to Distagon 18, f8 5sec, ISO160

Distagon 18, f8 3.2sec, ISO160

Distagon 18, f8 13sec, ISO160

Distagon 18, f8 10sec, ISO160

Distagon 18, f8 15sec, ISO160, corrected lines

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots Sandy - but what a disaster!!
I hope you have your 15mm soon back in excellent condition as well as your 5D!!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me sad to hear about the 15. I hope that they will fix it for you.
The photos are nice. And, you're right about the skulls, I can see them too Shocked

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing shots!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots indeed.
I hope that everything is going to be alright with your gear!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's really bad luck, I hope you will get back your 15mm soon
great night series!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks friends!
Yes, very very sad, the 5D is fine, the distagon took all the energy. A big fat scratch on the front glass (concrete), battered sun hood and the biggest problem, the barrel seems to be disorted. Focussing works, but the aperture ring is stuck, bayonet is deformed.

I talked to Zeiss in Oberkochen, the guy was very friendly. They have the front glass as replacement part, still available (450€), but he's concerned about the barrel. Crying or Very sad
I'm not sure what to do. The replacement glass is pricey, the repair will be too - if they can solve the barrel problem - I can't even imagine that.

Click here to see on Ebay
I will ask the seller, Michael Huppert. It seems that the barrel is original Distagon 15, only missing the glass elements.
Perhaps I can use it as replacement barrel, combined with the new front glass. It would be still cheaper than buying a "new" one.
What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously wonderful images here - I didn't do much night-time shooting in Berlin, but would consider going back for this museum alone!!!

And, very sorry to hear about the lens Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mal,
the historical center of Berlin ("Unter den Linden", "Museumsinsel") is a wonderful place - at least for me Wink

For your next trip to Berlin, you should consider the "die lange nacht der museen" - every museum (more than 100) will be open past midnight, the historical buildings are illuminated very nicely, with rich colors. A great opportunity to get some great nightshots. I always missed this special night, maybe next year...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, what does it say in the text written with neon?... "All art has been contemporary"?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soikka wrote:
BTW, what does it say in the text written with neon?... "All art has been contemporary"?

Yes that's it.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Unter den Linden area, I have been there it's gorgeous. Gives a sense of magnitude really.

As for the sentence, it's true that all art has been contemporary, but in the past they did have no mercy for crappy art. Wink

About the lens parts, yes I would go for them absolutely. Do what you can to save the lens.