Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NIKON / CANON
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: NIKON / CANON Reply with quote

Does anyone truly believe that these are the only two brands to use?

Some idiot tried telling me that Penatx was a third party camera and not worthy of buying... Shocked

I told him Pentax was making pro gear back while his mother was powdering his bottom.

Im truly interested in hearing your thoughts.

I dont buy into the mass market selling ratings. I could care less who out sells who.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the results posted here I would definitely say that there are more than the "big two" to choose from. Certainly they dominate the market, but they are absolutely not the only game in town. Your answer/feeling was right

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
From the results posted here I would definitely say that there are more than the "big two" to choose from. Certainly they dominate the market, but they are absolutely not the only game in town. Your answer/feeling was right

patrickh

Well, this question came up because of a big BLOW-UP on another forum which I happen to be a noob on.

It appeaers 99.9 percent of the people posting there feel that Nikon and Canon are the only brands to use.

I let it FLY on one of the threads. The idiot who called the Pentax a third party camera couldnt defend himself with facts, so of course he reverted to mud slinging.

Ah, well. I sling mud with the best of them.... Very Happy

I hate being sucked into that kind of thing but I also hate watching STUPIDITY reign supreme.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Spiral.

As far as I know, there are more than 2 brands to use.
I would say :
- Sony
- Pentax,
- Minolta,
- Sigma,
- Olympus

Fuji, I don't really know.
Samsung are clones (of Sony ?).

About the choice, if I were to begin, I would consider : Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its maybe due to the fact that those two brands are very popular, especially Canon with the white lenses, so people who don't know photo very well only trust those two major producers.

As for me the most know , if you're a photographer with a bit of knowledge is Leica. There come in order of apparition : Minolta, Contax, Praktica , Olympus, Pentax, Zenit, Chinon, Fujica, Konica, meh there are many, but those are also very good cameras producers.

remember its not the camera that counts its the lens ! ( that shall be my sig ohhh yeah ) and your eye of course Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you should tell the boob that he's wrong: there's Canon, then Nikon, then Sony, then Olympus... then Pentax.... so Pentax is no third party camera, it's more like fifth party.

Also, he has his terminology wrong, as "third party" usually is used to describe off-brand but brand-compatible items - such as lenses, batteries, those things. Perhaps he was reaching for "third rate" but couldn't get there, as third rate rhymes with "threat" and that would be the truth. In many areas, for people to admit a non-popular preference is threatening. You like the consensus #1, or if you're a maverick you like #2.

So, like Sony and Olympus, Pentax these days is at best a third party, third rate, also-ran, back-water, pretender brand. At least these three are a step above those brands who sell no dSLR, you know, cheap fourth-rate, fourth party, not even in the race, amateur point and shoot crap toy camera makers such as Leica, Panasonic, Ricoh, Casio... some of which aren't even real camera companies, but make calculators and vacuum cleaners and such.

I'm a cheerful Pentax fan by the way, and wouldn't consider buying a non Pentax dSLR... well, maybe an Olympus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax doesn't exist anymore, Hoilla use this name to catch tak fans Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't care about that.

If a company named "crapcam" would sell a good fullframe DSLR with great image quality, fine features, quality and the ability to use other lenses - I would buy it.
Times have changed and a name is just a name...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson wrote:
I wouldn't care about that.

If a company named "crapcam" would sell a good fullframe DSLR with great image quality, fine features, quality and the ability to use other lenses - I would buy it.
Times have changed and a name is just a name...

Sure, such a dslr body would have my vote if it has the ability to use my collection of lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Also, he has his terminology wrong, as "third party" usually is used to describe off-brand but brand-compatible items - such as lenses, batteries, those things. Perhaps he was reaching for "third rate" but couldn't get there, as third rate rhymes with "threat" and that would be the truth. In many areas, for people to admit a non-popular preference is threatening. You like the consensus #1, or if you're a maverick you like #2.

EXACTLTY ! This guy didnt have a clue thats why I chimed in, and informed him.

This guy is also a senior member on those boards... Shocked Confused
You can only imagine the type of BS that is spread their.

He told me I needed enlightenment... Very Happy

Actually the entire thread was a complete joke.

Quote:

So, like Sony and Olympus, Pentax these days is at best a third party, third rate, also-ran, back-water, pretender brand. At least these three are a step above those brands who sell no dSLR, you know, cheap fourth-rate, fourth party, not even in the race, amateur point and shoot crap toy camera makers such as Leica, Panasonic, Ricoh, Casio... some of which aren't even real camera companies, but make calculators and vacuum cleaners and such.

Actually, this would only refer to sale numbers. I dont think a true pro folows sales numbers. A true photographer buys by need and compatability.

I love Nikon, but the lens compatability is really not up to the standards I neeed when shooting.

Thats how a camera should be rated, not who out sells who.

Nikon and Canon are both fine cameras, but they are not the only game in town.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheep to be honest. They see Nikon/Canon in films, on tv and round Pro photographers necks so assume that's what they should buy to get the same quality pictures.

The one reason I got a Canon is because I bought it second hand and I got a very good deal for it.

My next camera may possibly be a Pentax. Although I do like the EOS' system of being able to use what feels like an inifite number of old lens mounts. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why I bought a Canon Dslr is that I got an EOS 500N and wanted to reuse my sole lens I got : a Sigma 18-200mm.

And when I received the 40D with its 17-85mm IS, I tried to mount the Sigma and test it. All I got was a "99 error" which means connection error. After connecting Sigma after sales service, they told me the lens was not compatible and they didn't service it... Evil or Very Mad

Else, I would have look closer at Nikon, Pentax and Sony.

But, to be honest too, I don't regret my purchase at all. I really love my 40D. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
The reason why I bought a Canon Dslr is that I got an EOS 500N and wanted to reuse my sole lens I got : a Sigma 18-200mm.

And when I received the 40D with its 17-85mm IS, I tried to mount the Sigma and test it. All I got was a "99 error" which means connection error. After connecting Sigma after sales service, they told me the lens was not compatible and they didn't service it... Evil or Very Mad

But, to be honest too, I don't regret my purchase at all. I really love my 40D. Smile

I want to clarify that I didnt start this thread to discuss what brand was TOP DOG.

I simply would like to see honest facts posted about gear so all the new shooters understand that they have a wide variety of choices.

Many post I see (usually not here, we have a fairly informed group) are filled with a bunch of ad hominem: simply not sticking to facts and attacking the character of the posters if they disagree.

It really blows my mind sometimes . Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother of idiots are always pregnant....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
Olivier wrote:

I want to clarify that I didnt start this thread to discuss what brand was TOP DOG.

I simply would like to see honest facts posted about gear so all the new shooters understand that they have a wide variety of choices.

Many post I see (usually not here, we have a fairly informed group) are filled with a bunch of ad hominem: simply not sticking to facts and attacking the character of the posters if they disagree.

It really blows my mind sometimes . Confused

I don't want to be misunderstood.

It's absolutely not my concern to say that a brand is a top dog.

I just wanted to prevent beginners from making the mistake I made when choosing a Dslr : please define your goals and what you'll shoot, then consider the different solutions available on the market. If they're looking this forum, consider too the possibility of mounting old lenses on the bodies you're looking at.

That was my only concern. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, this alone makes the person look like a blathering idiot. Confused Confused

I'm no expert, by any means, but attaching such labels to Leica, Pentax and Olympus, which have been widely recognized as top-quality makers for decades, just seems like a bunch of hot air from a blowhard of seriously ill-informed position.

Sounds to me like the poster should wake his/her sorry ass up, and get out shooting with some of those cameras he/she lambasted, just so he/she doesn't appear to be such a bigoted and ill-informed moron at his/her next forum post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many serious contender in the DSLR markets beside the big two - Canon and Nikon. Each have their niche market, technology, lens and users/ followers or else they will not have survive until now.

Many times when I read comments posted by some of the big two followers, I really scratch my head and smile. I don't know, the "best" camera, the "best" lens, I wonder.

Last edited by my_photography on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly use a Canon XTi; a Pentax istD; and a Fujifilm S2(Nikon F mount). My only reason for the Canon being the one I grab for quick outings and fast moving subjects is the range of AF zoom telephotos with image stabilization. Otherwise, I take whichever happens to draw me at the moment when I am using MF. The three cover almost all the lenses available, all use CF cards and the Pentax and Fujifilm use AA batteries.

All three can be found on the bay for well under $300USD. In fact an istDL just went for $92USD last week. I had bid low and forgotten about the end time or I probably would have gotten it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it annoying when people think Canon & Nikon are the only DSLRs you should consider.
I have no bias toward or away from any particular brand. For example I have the following:

Nikon D70
Canon EOS 300D (equivalent)
Konica-Minolta 5D
Pentax K10D
Pentax *ist DL2
Olympus E-510
Panasonic G1
(in other words, every type of lens DSLR mount except Sigma)

There are pros and cons for each brand & type.

If you consider AF lenses, then Nikon & Canon have the biggest lens base.

If you consider MF lenses, then Pentax has the biggest lens base (most of the Nikon DSLRs will accept MF lenses, but not meter), and will focus confirm with any MF lens)

If you want to try older lenses from different brands on one camera, then Olympus (4/3) is good (will take M42, Nikon, Konica, Minolta MC/MD, Pentax, Olympus OM) and even more so Panasonic (micro 4/3) , which will take all of the above, plus Canon FD.

Konica-Minolta/Sony will take all Minolta AF lens back to 1985. Many people don't know this, plus they don't know how good some of the Minolta lenses were.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:

If you want to try older lenses from different brands on one camera, then Olympus (4/3) is good (will take M42, Nikon, Konica, Minolta MC/MD, Pentax, Olympus OM) and even more so Panasonic (micro 4/3) , which will take all of the above, plus Canon FD.

Hello dnas.

So the new Panasonic GH1 takes all the older lenses above ?
Does an adaptor exist for each brand ?

It would be very interesting as this new GH1 has very good comments.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not into labels to be honest, and this seems to be an obvious case of ignorance and "brand snobbery".

Fine by me though, I bought my Sony a200 as a first DSLR knowing that:

a) It was much cheaper than the big two (D40 aside, but the Sony is much more advanced)
b) Had good compatability with MF lenses (and Minolta AF of course)
c) Had won awards left, right and centre as an amateur DSLR

In fact, I've had many an amateur (or what I would class as an amateur user, I'm sure they wouldn't Wink ) photographer turn their nose up at my camera. But then again, I spoke with a professional photographer, who actually knows his stuff, at a wedding just recently who was praising my model.

That's not to say that I wouldn't take a Canon in the future however, my friend's 40D is miles ahead of my camera!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
dnas wrote:

Hello dnas.

So the new Panasonic GH1 takes all the older lenses above ?
Does an adaptor exist for each brand ?

It would be very interesting as this new GH1 has very good comments.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1/

Yes, that's correct. With the regular 4/3 cameras, you can get fairly cheap adapters for M42, Nikon, Minolta MC/MD, Pentax, Olympus OM - 4/3. (I didn't use the Pentax because some 3rd party Pentax mounted lenses can foul the pins on a 4/3 camera, e.g. Olympus E-510)

Then, to use these lenses on the G1, I've got a 4/3 -> micro 4/3 adapter. (Pentax is ok) The Konica lenses needs a "spacer", which then mounts the Konica directly to the 4/3 -> micro 4/3 adapter. Then the only other adapter you need is the Canon FD -> micro 4/3 adapter.

You can get all of this on ebay. For the moment, the 4/3 -> micro 4/3 adapter is not cheap, (3rd party no electronics) but they should go down!!

Only manual focusing of course!!!!! Here's the G1 with a Nikon 85mm F1.8, for example!!!! (on the left, the Pentax on the right is for comparing size!!)

Last edited by dnas on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I like about this forum! Almost all other camera forums has a strong biased oppinion on which camera to use, here it's more about good lenses which I find is what really matters in photography Smile

This guy refered to in the OP is to me very common. I regulary saw in forums "Canon makes the best cameras" without an argument or "Nikon only makes good lenses" like the kit lens is as good as a L class Canon. I started ignoring those people long time ago when I found this forum Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dnas ! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to comment with smile this thread. I wish all of You to visit once Czech Republic. You would see that only Nikon and Canon are the brands and everything other is easily said a crap. Maybe a Panasonic or Sony in compact category counts as well.

This is the meening of Czech people. Really. And counting the prices of new stuff around 1/3 higher than in US You can imagine how stupid people are when buying "ultra-super-extreme-digital" compacts in prices You would normally spent for minty zeiss pancolar 80 or D200 body or whatever.

There are just few people knowing about other makes.

I started with Nikon, because it was the only DSLR I had in my hand and I fell in love to the design and the second reason was our magazine lenses, which are all Nikon and I can borrow it for free any time...