Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NIKON / CANON
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milanos wrote:
I have to comment with smile this thread. I wish all of You to visit once Czech Republic. You would see that only Nikon and Canon are the brands and everything other is easily said a crap. Maybe a Panasonic or Sony in compact category counts as well.

This is the meening of Czech people. Really. And counting the prices of new stuff around 1/3 higher than in US You can imagine how stupid people are when buying "ultra-super-extreme-digital" compacts in prices You would normally spent for minty zeiss pancolar 80 or D200 body or whatever.

There are just few people knowing about other makes.

I started with Nikon, because it was the only DSLR I had in my hand and I fell in love to the design and the second reason was our magazine lenses, which are all Nikon and I can borrow it for free any time...

Nikon and Canon are both very nice cameras. I shoot film with a wide collection of Nikon gear. I have always loved my Nikon cameras.

I started this thread to make sure I wasnt crazy... Smile

I wanted to see how many people used other brands beside the big 2 when shooting digital. I discovered quite a few feel the same way I do. I bought my camera by lens need not sales reputation. It so happens my Pentax fairs quite well in many other areas as well. It's a fine camera and well worth buying.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is largely about marketing, which is where Canon and Nikon have excelled. But it is not just marketing; both companies built reputations by being way ahead of the opposition in the the early stages of new technologies. I believe that, to this day, Nikon is reaping the benefits of the Nikon F that was a world-beater when it was launched around 1960, while Canon's ground-breaking Digital Rebel (300D) set a price and quality target for digital "prosumer" cameras that other makers couldn't match six years ago.

On the basis of this, Nikon became an elite pro camera of the 35mm era, while Canon cornered a huge, new "prosumer" market in the digital era. The use of own-brand lens mounts then tied customers into the brands ... I wouldn't switch from Canon because I have a couple of essential AF lenses that would cost a lot to replace - so why go to the trouble of deserting the brand?

Of course, that means that MF lenses are actually More Freedom lenses, because you just need a different adaptor (for brands that can accept M42 lenses, that is) for whatever camera brand you switch to.

Companies like Pentax are paying the price of not pioneering new markets and gaining the competitive advantage the goes with it. But that does not mean that their products are not superb.