Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Uhhh... I did it again!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Uhhh... I did it again! Reply with quote

I just can't stop myself when I see a nice Leica that wants to be bought.

Well...

I have some rather good 200mm lenses (or zooms in that range), but I am not really comfortable with this FL on a crop EOS. An effective 320mm are too long for me, most of the times. The risk of camera shake is pretty high.

But with 135mm lenses (and their "216mm"), I sometimes would like them a little longer.

So the longest tele length I am really happy with is a real 180mm that grants me an effctive FL of about 280mm on my crop cam.

I have got a good Soligor 3.5/180 but it is in miserable mechanical condition, so I was looking for another nice 180mm lens.

Today I have found one: a Leica Elmar-R 4/180.

Now, this bloody waiting starts again... Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that it's amongst the sharpest Leica lenses ever made.
Congratulations, and post images ASAP !

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting is the worst part Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whole new world after Soligor Wink Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Carsten!

Does anybody know off the top of their head the optical scheme of this lens?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow congrats! 280mm, seems we will see nice moon shots soon!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mention the Leica fever somewhere else?
Anyway i would be interested in your comments about this lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congatulations Carsten. You really got the bug! Looking forward to your wonderful report.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So the longest tele length I am really happy with is a real 180mm that grants me an effctive FL of about 280mm on my crop cam.

It provides a similar FOV of a 280 (actually 288) on your Canon but the effective Focal length is still 180mm.
Just because you crop does not increase magnification. This lens brings you in like a 180 on a FF just cuts the frame down.

FOV changes when cropping.
FL does not change

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Quote:

It provides a similar FOV of a 280 (actually 288) on your Canon but the effective Focal length is still 180mm.
Just because you crop does not increase magnification. This lens brings you in like a 180 on a FF just cuts the frame down.

FL does not change

I know. That's what I meant.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veijo has shot with it:

http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_elmar.html

http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_elmar_4.html

http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/tallinn_elmar.html

I like the idea that the Elmar 4/180 is about the same size as the Elmarit 2.8/135.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A medium telephoto lens for Leica reflex cameras, ideal for travel or any other time its small size and light weight will be appreciated. Made from 1976 through 1995, only one optical version was made, available in the standard black finish and in an olive green Safari finish to go with the R3 Safari model. Among Leicas 180mm lenses, the Elmar-R is the smallest, lightest, and except for the current internal-focus 180mm APO lenses, will focus closest without extension tubes. Leicas ELPRO supplementary close-up lenses may also be used with this lens."
(photographyreview.com) Wink

"Elmar 180 f:4; piccolo e maneggevole, fornisce eccellenti prestazioni a buon mercato. Non così piacevole come il 3,4, non plastico come il 2,8, raccomandato a chi ama incisione e contrasto."
(http://www.mauroruscelli.com/dblog/articolo.asp?id=570)
"Elmar 180 f: 4; small and manageable, providing excellent performance on the cheap. Not so nice as the 3.4, not plastic like the 2.8, recommended for those who like incision and contrast."
(Google translation)

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Congrats Carsten!

Does anybody know off the top of their head the optical scheme of this lens?

I know that it is a 5 elements / 4 groups design.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Tele-Tessar like scheme.
I have the Contax 3.5/200 Tele-Tessar - great sharpness, great bokeh, high colour saturation, not high on the "3D" factor compared to Sonnars.
I expect the same type of performance from the Elmar, of course with the typical Leica colours.
Contax also has a 4/200 Tele-Tessar, more compact than the 3.5/200 that I have. It should be, probably, even closer to the Elmar results.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a sample of the Contax TT 4/200 stopped down just a touch.
Full size by request as always.
Nice compact German made lens. The size of a 135 really.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Carsten - it should be a beast of a lens. We can't wait for samples

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Congratulations Carsten - it should be a beast of a lens. We can't wait for samples

And I can't wait for the lens... Embarassed Wink Very Happy
Waiting is terrible, but it should bere on Friday or Saturday, if the Deutsche Post is not slowing it down, that is.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

FL does not change

Both true, but if you compare a shot full frame,a shot cropped by 2x and a shot cropped by 4x (all images displayed at the same size) then the effect of any camera shake will be 4x bigger in the last shot compared to the first.

So the appropriate long lens technique and safest minimum shutter speed would be those for that focal length on 35mm full frame, multiplied by the crop factor.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the Leica 180/4! Look for wartd to sample shots (and pictures of the lens too).

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
So the appropriate long lens technique and safest minimum shutter speed would be those for that focal length on 35mm full frame, multiplied by the crop factor.

Exactly. And that's why a 200mm lens often is "too long" for me. In my experience, a 180mm lens is the last tele that is easily usable for me on a crop cam.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a long time ago that this lens was of the same optical formula than the Angénieux 4,5/180 (P-21 , Alitar for Alpa) relevant . Same number of elements (5)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Uhhh... I did it again! Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I just can't stop myself when I see a nice Leica that wants to be bought.

Well...

I have some rather good 200mm lenses (or zooms in that range), but I am not really comfortable with this FL on a crop EOS. An effective 320mm are too long for me, most of the times. The risk of camera shake is pretty high.

But with 135mm lenses (and their "216mm"), I sometimes would like them a little longer.

I have got a good Soligor 3.5/180 but it is in miserable mechanical condition, so I was looking for another nice 180mm lens.

Today I have found one: a Leica Elmar-R 4/180.

Now, this bloody waiting starts again... Wink

Hi, I found also a lens. Have you a price indication for me ? Let say > 150 Euro or less.
Thanks
Rolf

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It arrived today!! That was very quick, two days after I have bought it.
I got it from "Leica bei Meister" in Berlin, saw it on their website, phoned them to ask about it, bought it online on Wednesday evening and it arrived today!
Much better than on *BAY!! Laughing

Unfortunately, I did not have the time to really try it. I just can say that it is in a very nice condition, looks and "feels" like a real Leica lens. There are only some tiny cleaning marks on the front lens (that were mentioned by the seller I talked to!) and which, based on the first test shots inside, do not seem to have any influence on the lens' performance.

And the best thing is: I got it for exactly the same money that I got when I sold my Canon EF 4-5.6/75-300 USM II (€130,-). So, you can say that I have swapped the 75-300 for the Elmar 4/180. I guess that's quite a deal for you MF guys, isn't it? Wink

This lens normally goes for - depending on condition - between €100,- (very used condition) and €400,- (near mint). I am pretty happy with my deal.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sat May 16, 2009 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent deal ! Can't wait for some nice picture Wink don't shoot neighbor roof Surprised

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to pay the same price. And the condition, well we will see. Cool

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First shots are online: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,145052.html#145052