Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Biotar Contax RF $2750 auction finish
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Biotar Contax RF $2750 auction finish Reply with quote

I thought I finally found one of these after looking for ages.
This one has gone way past a reasonable budget for an actual lens that will be used.
It's a great lens but lets be realistic. The Leica Summarit produces better IQ and can be had for about a grand.

This seller is a great guy and put together some nice pictures. That's why I put this here in the Gear Gallery.

Cheers
Andy

Click here to see on Ebay

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Fri May 08, 2009 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Biotar Reply with quote

It looks handsome - but that's a lot of money and a LOT of bids. I hope the eventual buyer will actually use it once in a while !

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it will ever pass light to film or sensor again.
The number and frequency of bids looks like anxious collectors going at it. There are only a handful of these ever made as it turns out.
Possibly the rarest Biotar.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I was more surprised by this finish price Crying or Very sad

Still pretty astonishing Razz

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never spend that much money in a lens.
It is not justified, in my opinion.
1000-1500 Eur for a very special lens (like a super wide), perhaps - if the result is really worth the expense (which is not small for a person with limited income)
But 2000 or more Eur for a short tele lens with no apochromatic correction, a lens whose results would be hardly distinguisheable from a Eur 200 lens - no way. Even if a Biotar. Even if a collectible beautiful old piece.

When I will earn 10000 Eur per month, perhaps yes. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These lenses act like paints , investments for reach guys so I am not surprised much.