Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Really grainy film?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Really grainy film? Reply with quote

I have an idea for a photoshoot, and I wanted to do it in film and I need some that is really grainy, either 120, 220, or 35mm (I have cameras for all three)

I'd like B/W, but I can always convert later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of date Foma 400 I find is very grainy. It was pretty grainy even when not out of date, in D-76.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Really grainy film? Reply with quote

attack_donut wrote:
I have an idea for a photoshoot, and I wanted to do it in film and I need some that is really grainy, either 120, 220, or 35mm (I have cameras for all three)

I'd like B/W, but I can always convert later.

-Ilford DELTA 3200, Tmax 3200 or any other very fast B/W film will be grainy while having still a very good tonal range.
-Rodinal development often produces a harder grain than Xtol and co., if you want to develope it yourself (depends on film and dev. times and temperature though)
-Use a ND filter if you wan't to shoot in dailight.
-35mm film will produce much more visible grain
Delta Ilford 3200 with Rodinal, 120 film
http://pentaxforums.s3.amazonaws.com/bronica/Ilford_3200_roll_19_009_PS.jpg
Delta Ilford 3200 with Xtol, 120 film
http://www.blende9.de/extern/aphog/anne_0769.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not just film but also handling it is important. I think push-proces and some acute developer should work. I won´t use delta or Tmax as they´re less grainy than classic emulsions, unless you want to shoot in bad light or have ND filters. Foma400 or Ilford Pan400 in 35mm, pushed to 800, developed in Rodinal - that should do the trick.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also shoot in very overcast or rainy weather. I had excessive grainyness from almost-spent D-76 one time. I had done 24+ rolls without replenishing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Fomapan 400 seems readily available on eBay (the local camera shops are *worthless* here) and I look forward to giving them a try.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly suggest to find some expired Ilford SFX 200 film. It has more grain than a classic 400 film, i've developed only once in tetenal ultrafin, have to try with Ilfosol 3, i get 5 rolls expired by 2006. i'll push it to 400 . will get back with results Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to get grainy negatives, from any film, is to push development by two stops.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add grain using Silver Efex plugin. This way it's less guesswork.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A roll of cheap C-41 colour film developed in BW chemistry will give you lots of grain:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@iangreenhal: I´ve noticed these photos in another thread. The grain looks quite blurry and the tonality is somewhat ugly, is that because of scanning or is it the film itself?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little of both probably. If a vintage, lo-fi look is desired it can be effective.