Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flare if you dare...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Flare if you dare... Reply with quote

Hi,

After building up some collection of 50mm lenses I thought it be a nice idea to see how flare resistant they are. The shots were all done hand-held so motion blur is very well possible *grin*.

The candidates were the following:

• Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4
  • Cosinon Auto 55mm f/2.8
  • Helios 44M-6 58mm f/2
  • Mamiya/Sekor 50mm f/2
  • Pentacon Auto 50mm f/1.8
  • SMC Takumar 55mm f/2
  • SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8

I did one series wide open and one at f/4; due to lack of a tripod I could not use smaller ones, the shutter speed was 1/15th of a second here.

Full open: http://www.flickr.com/photos/castones/sets/72157611296605087/
At f/4: http://www.flickr.com/photos/castones/sets/72157611296633733/

Even at f/1.4 the Zeiss is pretty good here, there is a small hotspot below in the image, but other lenses are much more pronounced I must say.

The Mamiya is a stinker here, I guess there is no multicoating on this one. Generally speaking I like its colour rendition quite much, but here some serious veiling is going on and also a very bright hotspot is present.

Cosinon also made some interesting lens (not), instant soft-focus here as if one takes pictures in the foggy Scottish Highlands... Smile No hotspot though...

Greetings

Crispian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon has an "unusual" (if i can call it this way) behavior, to me, wide open flaring but leaving a corner almost clear, while being pretty clean by f4...

The Takumar wasn't that bad...i wonder a bit about the non SMC versions :/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mUg wrote:
The Pentacon has an "unusual" (if i can call it this way) behavior, to me, wide open flaring but leaving a corner almost clear, while being pretty clean by f4...

The Takumar wasn't that bad...i wonder a bit about the non SMC versions :/

Agreed on the Pentacon, the was a weird one. I think this has to do with the frontmost lamp post; if I would have turned my camera slightly the results might have been different.

The Taks both had a bright ghosting hotspot, but for the rest not too bad indeed, but the Pentacon @f/4 is the most well-behaved.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some more elaborate testing here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting test Crispian. I think it would be a great idea to do it again using a tripod if possible (not necessarily to avoid camera shake, but to ensure that the position and direction of every shot is identical). I'd also like to see the benefit of using a hood in this situation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one aspect where the T* coating really shines... Or rather DOESN'T shine Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume there were no filters on any of the lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
I assume there were no filters on any of the lenses?

Well, as a matter of fact, some did have UV filters, e.g. the Zeiss... This test was just a quickie so I hope to be able to do a better one in the near future.

Learning points / improvements:

• Tripod for steady angle of view
  • No filters attached
  • Lens hood? Or maybe better not to, cos I want to see the lens' bare performance here; properly shaded no lens will flare (in some cases that would mean to fit the lens cap Laughing )
  • Different light sources?
  • More or other lenses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice test!

Please no lens hoods.
I never use lens hoods for street photography, it's much more sneaky without. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson wrote:
Nice test!

Please no lens hoods.
I never use lens hoods for street photography, it's much more sneaky without. Smile

OK, but it would still be nice (for me at least) to see what difference a hood makes. Only one shot per lens would be enough to compare. But don't worry if it's too much trouble for you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course, sorry Peter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Carlsson wrote:
Nice test!

Please no lens hoods.

OK, but it would still be nice (for me at least) to see what difference a hood makes. Only one shot per lens would be enough to compare. But don't worry if it's too much trouble for you.

But in that photo he got a series of light just in front of the photographer, should a hood be able to do protect against a direct frontal light? O_o

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above set of photos prove that there is a reason why you spend more for Zeiss lenses and that it's not all in the "more or less sharp" department.

The following photos were taken last year in Piacenza at the Christmas market, with a Distagon 1.4/35 on the 5D, without lens hood.
Many light sources directly in the image field. In the last picture, there is even a powerful spotlight aimed directly at the front lens.

I think these images speak for themself about why I love this lens:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, this is an amazing lens.
It's not just the lack of flare, I see great colors, great depth and 3D.
And a great photographer of course.

This one is still on my list...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting results sir_c, will certainly keep my eyes open for updates.

Orio, wow! That lens has produced some really amazing images here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: The saga continues... a bit Reply with quote

Hi,

Since it is freezing outside and I did not want to get any frostbite in my pants I decided to do a smaller test at home in addition to the above.

I got triggered by a remark about filters and hoods and I decided to see the difference with and without filters. Shocking, if this test is anywhere near representative...

I grabbed my regarded C/Y Planar 50mm f/1.4 and made two shots @ f/2.8. One with the bare lens and one with a B+W UV filter fitted (which is quite a respected brand afaik) which came with my lens.

Now you guess which pic belongs where. I hope to find some time in the near future to dig deeper into this, especially cos' I want to see how my newly-bought Super-Tak 50/1.4 performs Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B+W filters are known for good build quality, but poor MC layers (compared to Hoya).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know this I just heard B+W provide best quality it is not impact lens IQ I am not sure about Hoya.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoya filters has poor sleeves (or how is the metal part with thread called in english), but their MC layers are really the best (at least significantly better than B+W). I know some photographers, who buys best quality filters from both manufacturers and their opinion is the same...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: And some reading material here Reply with quote

Seems that I am not alone regarding the filter flare. I did some small google research and I found some articles on this subject.

One on the regarded Luminous Landscape site: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-feb-05.shtml

One with some example pictures: http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/filterflare.html

So... I'm taking off those suckas and only fit them when I'll be shooting in the rain or on beaches etc.

Grtx

Crispian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All filters will have an impact on IQ, how much depends on the filter & the shooting situation. Your best filters are no exception, they just may be a bit better in controlling flare & other distortion, but it's still there. I have always only mounted "protective" filters when there was either blowing sand or sea spray. Other than that, just limited use of special effects filters (like polarizers, ND or star filters)...I protect the front element of my lens with hoods & lens caps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there are two points I must consider from this thread.

1 Buy Zeiss

2 Use hoods - not filters

Thanks to everyone for this tutorial.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Custer said, "the best UV filter is no UV filter" Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use a protect filter(not UV filter), here is an example.

Guess what the lens used, using Kenko protect filter (seven layer coating).
The sun is inside of this shot, unless i get too much ghosting I do not take
filter out. This was a test for ghosting.