Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tripod Quick-Release plate from MFlenses/Alex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Tripod Quick-Release plate from MFlenses/Alex Reply with quote

Well, it finally arrived today. Wink

Alex was kind enough to send one of these plates to me at his expense, so that I could check the fit and stability on a Bogen/Manfrotto RC2-style quick-release tripod head.
My cost was to be a review of it here on the forum.

Compared side-by-side, the Bogen on the left:

The only tangible differences to be found are the color of finish on the screws, and the extra hole found in the Bogen's pad. None of the holes are needed for any of my gear anyway, so that's pretty much a moot point. I removed a pin from the Bogen plate, which I understand is commonly used for motion video cameras.

The undersides. Again, the finish color of the screws is different. The bail for tightening the screw on Alex's plate is of a slightly different shape & size, though I did not have any difficulty in tightening it very firmly on my camera and a couple of big lenses.
I'm not sure what the additional casting is for, at the lower-right corner, since it gets buried in the tripod's head when attached and therefore seems to have no use at all. No matter, since it does not affect anything to do with proper use of the plate.

The plate arrived just as you see pictured. The metal it's cast from seems to be the same used for the Bogen. There are no sharp artifacts from the casting process, and the weight seems to be equal as well. The pad's texture is slightly different, but is just as firm and 'grippy' as the Bogen. The thumbscrew is slightly looser in the new plate, but that's a non-issue when mounted to a camera or lens. Smile

Seeing as the price Alex quoted to me lands at around half or less what I have found the Bogens sold for from other venues, I intend to purchase the pictured plate and at least four more. My intent was to return Alex's plate at my own expense if it was not compatible, though I didn't have much doubt about that. But I will pay for this plate and a few more. I'm perfectly happy to provide this review and pay for the product. After all, it's more than worth the price. Cool

As most of us are aware, these small plates can cost a bunch for such a simple thing.
These plates from Alex will let you purchase twice what you'd normally pay for just one of the Bogen plates at discount pricing.

Many thanks to you, Alex.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Craig for this nice detailed report!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you Craig for this nice detailed report!
You're welcome Attila, and Alex. Very Happy

I forgot to mention that this QR plate is the same one being shipped with the ballhead
that's part of the recently-announced 3010 Tripod Legset & Ballhead package.
The ballhead is essentially a clone of the Manfrotto 486RC2, with minor
cosmetic and operational differences. The RC2 quick-release plate remains
the same for both, and is an exceptional value when purchased from Alex.

I have been in communication with Alex about upgrading the head assembly of my Manfrotto 725B DIGI tripod,
and there may be a simple and easily affordable solution to that scenario, as well.
Stay tuned for details, as I'll post information as soon as I am able to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:

I have been in communication with Alex about upgrading the head assembly of my Manfrotto 725B DIGI tripod,
and there may be a simple and easily affordable solution to that scenario, as well.

did it arrive and did it fit?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
SkedAddled wrote:

did it arrive and did it fit?
It has arrived. PM sent.