Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f2.8 Contax
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f2.8 Contax Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice brid shots, I like the duck especially.

Shooting tele with that kind of lateral lightiing of the last photos is not easy, do you agree?
I prefer a more frontal light when shooting long teles, even if that means to lose some texture on the objects.
It's easier to handle lateral lighting when shooting wides.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the composition and the background in the last shot with the pidgin Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nice brid shots, I like the duck especially.

Shooting tele with that kind of lateral lightiing of the last photos is not easy, do you agree?
I prefer a more frontal light when shooting long teles, even if that means to lose some texture on the objects.
It's easier to handle lateral lighting when shooting wides.

Duck is most clear shoot, unfortunately all animals was caged with crowded wires, I had not much chance to select position. This Sonnar is a damn good lens she did provide maximum as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
I like the composition and the background in the last shot with the pidgin Smile

Thank you! On last one I did concern about eye, I love to capture bright eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the stork. I have never seen one from this angle Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I like the stork. I have never seen one from this angle Smile

Available only in Zoo Sad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the last one. Nice bokeh! It looks like if it was in wilderness.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones!
That sonnar is the best of the 180/200mm field.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Nice ones!
That sonnar is the best of the 180/200mm field.

I did try many under 500 USD , this is the best from all of them in my opinion too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does this lens compare to the CZJ 180/2.8 MC ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
how does this lens compare to the CZJ 180/2.8 MC ?

The Contax one is basically an update of the design of the Jena lens (which in turn was the update on the historical Olympia Sonnar). This is to say that the two lenses are, if not identical, at least very similar.

The Contax lens has better multicoating so it handles better backlight situations. It also probably has slightly improved performance wide open and on the typical sonnar weak point (chromatic aberration).

But I would say that in most situations, the Contax and Jena performances are very close, so the 200 Euros difference in price can be a good argument in favour of the Jena.
On the other hand, the Contax lens has half the weight and half the size, which can be important factors for traveling/trekking photographers.