Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss to release a superwide in May
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Zeiss to release a superwide in May Reply with quote

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=1520

My guess is of a 15mm lens (the other focals are all covered...)
I wonder why no 135mm or 180mm lens yet... maybe they feel that the absence of IS could harm their sales...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss to release a superwide in May Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=1520

My guess is of a 15mm lens (the other focals are all covered...)
I wonder why no 135mm or 180mm lens yet... maybe they feel that the absence of IS could harm their sales...

Could be they're concentrating on the focal lengths where they perhaps feel Canon and Nikon lenses et al maybe don't do so well.

The Distagon 21 in either Contax or Cosina flavour is or was the benchmark SLR super-wide for a very good reason...

Just my 2p.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, they are using my tactics! " In the next few days, this is where we will be showing you..." Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hey, they are using my tactics! " In the next few days, this is where we will be showing you..." Laughing Laughing

True Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

True Laughing

Actually it is Apple's strategy, badly executed Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/16/Carl-Zeiss-Distagon-T-15mm-F2p8-super-wide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

True Laughing

Actually it is Apple's strategy, badly executed Wink

If they really follow apple's way the lens will stop working after 18 months and you'll have to buy a new one as they will refuse to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible, there's the usual idiot who asks if the lens can autofocus! Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Incredible, there's the usual idiot who asks if the lens can autofocus! Laughing Laughing Laughing

LOL
Too bad I have just switched to small and light Smile
What do you think about the lens?
I would say this is a candidate for being superior to its Contax counterpart.
Are there any samples or MTF published ?

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

If they really follow apple's way the lens will stop working after 18 months and you'll have to buy a new one as they will refuse to fix it.

No, that would be Microsoft.
It seems you have no experience with Apple products. Do not believe everything you hear.
And you are confusing marketing, which we mentioned here, with the real product.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

No, that would be Microsoft.
It seems you have no experience with Apple products. Do not believe everything you hear.
That's been my experience of Apple. Mac Mini lasted 17 months, and iPod 19 months. When I bought a new Mac Mini, I had to pay for software upgrades because they make the new OS not fully compatible with the previous one Confused On Windows I was running the same 16-bit software I purchased in 1992. And in those days I didn't have to pay a 400 percent premium for the hardware Confused But we're digressing from the thread Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:

What do you think about the lens?

I don't know. Probably it will be better than the Contax Distagon 15mm, 40 years have passed.
Yet the Contax Distagon 15 is an historical piece. Only 2000 or so copies made, and one of the most interesting designs of Erhard Glatzel.
I would not trade mine with the new one, even if it was better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I love your attitude. Not quite the same because it's not rare, but I won't swap my Contax Planar 50/1.4 for a ZE version...I like the old one too much already, it has history Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, in the Zeiss photography department they have started to take their job more seriously
regarding promotion, marketing etc.

Here is the lens data sheet.
http://applications.zeiss.com/C12578620052CA69/0/DFC9E1A2A96B06D5C12579C300284CD9/$file/distagon_28_15.pdf

It looks interesting.
Very low distortion for 15mm Shocked
The Leica-M mount 15mm rangefinder lens by Zeiss, is almost as big and has double the distortion!
And very promising MTF.

But I think 15mm is too wide for my shooting style.
I prefer panorama work for angle of view below 20mm.
I can't stand the perspective distortion.

One thing is sure for me. I f I ever get one, it will be in Nikon mount.
Apart from the aperture ring, it is also 90gr lighter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
Orio wrote:
LOL

Maybe the guy has a sense of humour.

Quote:
Are there any samples or MTF published ?

Llloyd will tell you what you need to know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Nikos wrote:
Orio wrote:
LOL

Maybe the guy has a sense of humour.

Let's hope so, otherwise we'll have to remind him that even Canon made some super wide angle lenses manual, because there is not much point in focusing them at all Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:

This guy does not even know who was Erhard Glatzel.
Don't waste your money!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
sichko wrote:

This guy does not even know who was Erhard Glatzel.
Don't waste your money!

The link is to Lloyd's blog - which is free. He's got the MTFs, distortion and vignetting graphs and a few samples - although they are taken using a D3x.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m very happy with my Samyang 14mm/2.8 for perhaps 15 % of the price for this lens.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:

I prefer panorama work for angle of view below 20mm.
I can't stand the perspective distortion.

I too think that with the technology of today, such mega expensive ultra wide lenses are an overkill.
They made sense in 1970, when there wasn't any stitching software (actually, there wasn't any commercial software at all Laughing )
For normal lanscaping, 21mm is more than plenty, and if you need more, you can stitch.
I say this although I have the Glatzel lens, but still I think I'm being neutral on the subject.