Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Colors in B&W
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Colors in B&W Reply with quote

I love really this solution, better than simple B&W portrait.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot!

Yes, I've done similar, then took it a little further with this shot of my favourite model, Lucy (that's her eye in my avatar). It's far from perfect, but an experiment. I have overdone the eyes and need to revisit it when time permits.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overdone eyes is no problem in this style I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice way.

The pics remind me the olds pics that the parks photogtaphers took in B&W and retouched with pastels colors. Lovely.

The actualls are better, of course.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agfa 400 + Porst TL + Polaris Zoom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here ...

(Tamron 90mm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never much for this effect. It always seemed to be a cliche way of bringing emphasis to a particular point of the photo while this should be done with focus, contrast, and composition. I certainly don't mean to insult these photographs, in fact they are quite nice, I only think their effectiveness should not be determined by some software based feature.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones! I like all of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

My contribution to this excellent thread ...

Just a question: how did you processed your pictures to get these results ? For mine i used GIMP, converting the original image in B+W, then adding a layer with the water drops cut out from the original picture ... Did you use another way to achieve this ?

Best regards

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Excellent!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I was never much for this effect. It always seemed to be a cliche way of bringing emphasis to a particular point of the photo while this should be done with focus, contrast, and composition.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the effect can look good if done well. The ones that I have seen in the past mostly used muted, subtle colours so that the 'collage' effect was avoided.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:

Just a question: how did you processed your pictures to get these results ? For mine i used GIMP, converting the original image in B+W, then adding a layer with the water drops cut out from the original picture ... Did you use another way to achieve this ?

I used Photoshop.

My workflow was to convert the image to B+W whichever way suits, then add a hue & saturation layer for each colour and use layer masks to get colour where I needed it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Hello,

Best regards

I scanned a b&w negative, then selected the text, made it lighter and added saturation. Then I chose the right hue that it supposed to be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your "secrets" ...

Best regards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
indianadinos wrote:

I used Photoshop.

My workflow was to convert the image to B+W whichever way suits, then add a hue & saturation layer for each colour and use layer masks to get colour where I needed it.

Isn't it easier to first make a copy layer of the image then turn that layer b+w and use eraser on that layer in the places you want to have an original color from the background image (for example eyes in color rest black and white)?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

Isn't it easier to first make a copy layer of the image then turn that layer b+w and use eraser on that layer in the places you want to have an original color from the background image (for example eyes in color rest black and white)?

In photoshop, using eraser is a no-no. You use adjustmentlayers there. Or masking out a layer placed ontop. GIMP lack adjustmentlayers, but afaik, you can use masks. So make one black and white version of your coloured layer and then with a small soft brush and preferably something like 20% opacity and mask out the parts you want in colour. The opacity makes you have to do several strokes where you want 100% opacity, but it will make it look better and you will have more control.

Why not use eraser? Well, using eraser is nonreversable. Using layermasks, means you can store the changes in the image file and completly redo and undo the layermask. Meaning you leave the image untouched. Eraser will... well, erase in the image. As much as you can, avoid destructive editing to your images.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Why not use eraser? Well, using eraser is nonreversable. Using layermasks, means you can store the changes in the image file and completly redo and undo the layermask. Meaning you leave the image untouched. Eraser will... well, erase in the image. As much as you can, avoid destructive editing to your images.

that's why i said to make a layer that is a copy of original, all the work is done on that layer. Iif you mess up , just delete that layer and original photo is safe and untouched

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
zewrak wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

that's why i said to make a layer that is a copy of original, all the work is done on that layer. Iif you mess up , just delete that layer and original photo is safe and untouched

Using masks, you do not have to delete anything if you mess up though. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have only used this effect once, and then it is so subtle you can't even tell.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Smile

I don't use exactly this technique (selective saturation/desaturation), but I used something slightly different - adjusting of color balance and saturation to create picture targeted to a specific tint (almost monochromatic), but with perceptible remains of the original color. I'm not sure, if it's good, but I like it Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice ones! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I used something slightly different - adjusting of color balance and saturation to create picture targeted to a specific tint (almost monochromatic), but with perceptible remains of the original color. I'm not sure, if it's good, but I like it Smile

I like the effect in your first photo, with some subtle color left.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
indianadinos wrote:

I used Photoshop.

The colours I used in my example were not the original colours. I have coloured the b&w pic.