Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bear Stare
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Bear Stare Reply with quote

Here's a snapshot from last Spring.

Shortly after the shot, the bear decided to make a "false charge" towards me.

I decided to back off. Shocked

Be aware that this is just a quick shot. I didn't bother to enhance the image, as I won't keep this one in my hard drive or backup drive.

Anyway, Here's Looking at You!

Last edited by Laurence on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Are you were in danger ? Or just your food Smile ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that you knew what you were doing but it looks dangerously close - for me certainly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila and John: Luckily, I've been around bears for many years. I expected the false charge. In almost ALL cases, the "false charge" is the bear's way to say "I'm not comfortable with this setup".

Now, if I had NOT backed off, then the bear would determine whether to make a "full charge" or not. The thing to do here, is to continue to face the bear and back of slowly and steadily, with no sudden/weird movements.

Even so...of COURSE my adrenalin kicks in. Confused

It's a matter of respect. People get in trouble when they don't follow through with letting the bear know that they aren't a threat.

I wouldn't normally get this close - I like to have about 100 yards between myself and the bear. In this case, he almost "materialized", coming out of the trees. My back was to him, as I was shooting upvalley.

Interestingly, I've come upon a mother and cubs THREE times in my "hiking lifetime". In every case, the mother took off in one direction, and the cubs took off in another direction, and climbed a tree. The mother will stop and see what I'm doing after her initial run. Again, this is where the respect kicks in. I back off slowly, as above, to avoid a false charge warning. I really don't want to stress the bears either.

Speaking of respect - about ten years ago, a couple of guys were "surprised" by a bear, similar to the situation above. One of them was mauled pretty badly by the charging bear. However, after investigation, it was determined that the two guys were THROWING ROCKS at the bear.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like genetic selection at work for those two guys. Amazing how people will go into situations without at least minimal preparation.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey!

nuff said...

Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh! I am happy that I was not there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone I was talking to recently put it: at least you can negotiate with a bear!

Cougars on the other hand freak me out. I was fortunate enough to run into one at very close range a couple of months ago on a beach, after dark. Fortunate because it circled past me and kept going on its way. It was a little bit disconcerting how close the cougar was comfortable getting (it may have been interested in my small dog, which I picked up as soon as I saw it coming)... but it was somehow reassuring to realize I could be that close to a cougar but just back away and get away without anything worse than a shot of adrenaline.

It was 20 or 30 feet away at most.

Now I'm much less afraid of cougars while out in the woods. Somehow having finally actually encountered one has made me feel better about them.

On the subject of bears its amazing how hard it is to find good information. I read about bears in numerous sources before coming across the advice that black bears often "false charge" and that the strategy in this case is to back off slowly (but not lay down and cover your neck until they make a real charge!). I hope I never experience it but I think in the moment it would be a good thing to know. I hear they bob their head and bounce and huff a lot if its a bluff, but come straight at you with a fury if its for real - is that true?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry! You should keep the pic, at least as a memory.

When I see this, I need to consider again if I will ever come and go on a hike with you. Wink
I guess I would have wet my pants. Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Larry! You should keep the pic, at least as a memory.
When I see this, I need to consider again if I will ever come and go on a hike with you. Wink
I guess I would have wet my pants. Embarassed

On the other side, there are probably also more dangerous places, such as Wall Street Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

I belong to the urbanites tribe, I've never seen a wild animal like that one running free in the field... The most wildest free creature I've had the pleasure to watch free are the (now rare) squirrels that run on top of the trees at my small house in Olivella...

The picture is fine, I don't see why you shouldn't keep it. Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: black bear Reply with quote

stepped outside to leak, zipping up heard a noise behind me, a bear less than 30 feet away! i crunched a rock, the bear turned around, and let me tell you there is no experience like being sized up by a bear; fortunately i was not a threat, and bear relaxed immediately; later she got a little nervous and false charged, whoa! that's scary, big huff-puff and stomp the ground hard; she looked sheepish having scared me. subsequent encounters she'd "false charge" in a very playful manner, like she was only kidding, only wants to play...

one thing i've learned is bears don't see very well; without movement they have a difficult time seeing contrast; stand very still and bear quickly loses interest.

once while in deep woods a cougar walks out of the brush right past me just like i'm not there; it was marking territory; i even called it and was totally ignored! some business is more important i guess.

this is a black bear, wearing a strangely bleached coat, looking like a grizzly!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: black bear Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
once while in deep woods a cougar walks out of the brush right past me just like i'm not there; it was marking territory; i even called it and was totally ignored! some business is more important i guess

Huh. I mentioned above that this happened to me too (albeit in the city, but on a beach connecting lots of parks and wild areas); the cougar very casually ambled past without much obvious interest. Was really weird, a bit scary (though the conscious sense of fear didn't really hit until I was well away).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: black bear Reply with quote

walter23 wrote:
siriusdogstar wrote:
once while in deep woods a cougar walks out of the brush right past me just like i'm not there; it was marking territory; i even called it and was totally ignored! some business is more important i guess

Huh. I mentioned above that this happened to me too (albeit in the city, but on a beach connecting lots of parks and wild areas); the cougar very casually ambled past without much obvious interest. Was really weird, a bit scary (though the conscious sense of fear didn't really hit until I was well away).

I saw your post and decided to share my similar experience! Your situation with a small dog sounds far more potentially dangerous than mine! I've had only one other encounter, driving slowly on the ridge line just after sunset, reached a low dip where two valleys connect, thick brush either side, not 50 feet in front a cougar appears out of the left brush, bounds a couple steps across the roadway & disappears into the right brush. I have never seen such magnificent and graceful movement before or since, so powerful and light-footed. Folks north of here in an area much like you describe have seen cougars on the beach behave similarly as you describe.