Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax/Yashica Carl Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8 & Extensio tubes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Contax/Yashica Carl Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8 & Extensio tubes Reply with quote

These lens by itself is a great performer, but WOW, today I tried with extensions tubes (I think this is the whole set 55mm) that arrvied yesterday.

I just love it! (all pictures are ISO 1600, straight from the camera and handheld! Hope tripod get's to me soon Very Happy. No noise reduction.)

No extension tubes

100% Crop

With the whole set of extension tubes

100% Crop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a gem of a lens and with the tubes, it becomes a nice macro too Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atractive pics.

Very, very good lens and nice distance focal.

This sonnar (like almost all sonnars) do well in all cases, with tubes too.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

External flash power is a must for getting clear images. If you don't own one I highly recommend you buying a Sunpak 422 or 433 (ebay:20-30USD+shipping) and a Cactus V2s wireless trigger set (ebay: 30USD+shipment). With flash I'm sure that you'll get great shots with the Sonnar Wink

And I highly recommend using your "Olympus Zuiko OM MC 21/3.5" with reverse adapter, you'll get stunnning photos with great magnification!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:
External flash power is a must for getting clear images. If you don't own one I highly recommend you buying a Sunpak 422 or 433 (ebay:20-30USD+shipping) and a Cactus V2s wireless trigger set (ebay: 30USD+shipment). With flash I'm sure that you'll get great shots with the Sonnar Wink

In which shop can I find these in eBay? For my shots I sometimes use a very old flash gun "Popular 103" which I found some days ago Very Happy.

yalcinaydin wrote:

And I highly recommend using your "Olympus Zuiko OM MC 21/3.5" with reverse adapter, you'll get stunnning photos with great magnification!

It is on my project list Very Happy. Already ordered the macro lens coupler ring (49mmto55) to try Pentacon 135/2.8 or Sonnar 85/2.8 + Olympus inversed 21/3.5 or Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 + Distagon 28/2.8 inversed Very Happy. Do you think that will work?

Thanks everybody for stopping by and leaving comments!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cilinderman wrote:
In which shop can I find these in eBay? For my shots I sometimes use a very old flash gun "Popular 103" which I found some days ago Very Happy.]

You must be patient and should continuosly look for a good deal. I've foud this which has a good price if you can make the shipment cost reasonable I guess you should give a try Wink Two of these will be good. Caution. don't buy Minolta dedicated one! I'm using Canon FD and Nikon F dedicated 422D and 433D without a problem on my 5D (and 400D).
Click here to see on Ebay
You can find Cactus trigger from various shops but if you want a specific one I can help to choose Wink
cilinderman wrote:

It is on my project list Very Happy. Already ordered the macro lens coupler ring (49mmto55) to try Pentacon 135/2.8 or Sonnar 85/2.8 + Olympus inversed 21/3.5 or Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 + Distagon 28/2.8 inversed Very Happy. Do you think that will work?

Using two lenses together give lot's of magnification but DOF is so shallow that it is not that practical but with 2 sharp lenses sharpness is still very good:
http://yalcinaydin.blogspot.com/2009/02/31-macro-ultra-thin-dof.html
With reverse mounting I meant to mount the zuiko alone to body with a reverse macro adapter which will give nearly 2.5:1.

Here is a summary for options.
21mm reversed and mounted on 135mm:
+ 6.4:1 Macro power
+ Still pretty decent shapness
- Too tiny focus line (pretty shallow DOF)
- You should be close to the subject
- The image circle is small and this is the worst negative point imo as f:3.5 means smaller rear element. For Zuiko 3.5/28 on Sonnar 2.8/85 it is like using 2800X2100px of the 12MP file. To avoid this you should use fast lenses. Reversed Planar 1.4/50 gave almost all of the image.

21mm reversely mounted on 5D:
+ 2.5:1 macro power is still very good
+ Sharpness is still very good if you a have sharp lens.
+ Image circle stays as it is (I've ordered 67mm adapter for my Zeiss 2.8/20 but it was like this for my 28mm Zuiko and Tamron )
+ Managing just one lens is not different from using a normal macro lens.
- Still you need to be very close

then what will be my choice?
- Reversed wide lens as wide as you can have Smile
- If you still need more magnification use bellows with it which is easier to use than the tubes and of course it is more expensive and also the rails can give the difficulty even if you doesn't extend it to the limits.
- If you need to have a distance (90mm 1:2 macro+14cm bellows means like 8-10cm distance from the subject) then using a dedicated 1:2 macro lens with bellows is the best.
- If you need more distance than using dedicated 1:1 macro is the best.

what about cloe-up filters?
- The cheap ebay close up filters are just crap!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent answer! I'll try the coupled lens first but as I don't have a reverse ring to mount it alone on the camera I have some 50mm's /1.8 to couple with the 135 Very Happy.

For proximity there's no problem, I just do macro for fun and won't try to macro any "living dangerous animal" XD, only if it's dead, very DEAD Very Happy.

I'll keep an eye on eBay, let's see if I can get some of these flashes. However, as I discovered my "Popular 103" today, I think that any cheap flash would be good to use for macro.

Thank you Yalcin!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cilinderman wrote:

I'll keep an eye on eBay, let's see if I can get some of these flashes. However, as I discovered my "Popular 103" today, I think that any cheap flash would be good to use for macro.

Thank you Yalcin!

You're welcome Wink
Sunpak 422 and 433s power comes from their 1-1/16 adjustable power and this is a very important factor, and you can't find a flash with this at this price point.

And for the topic followers let me share something that I've discovered just a few mins ago while using Leica 2.8/35:
You can't use a 28mm and 35mm lens on bellows if you don't reverse it as you can't focus on the subject although you touch it! Not only fully extended but at all positions of the bellows. So for wide and ultra-wides you should and must use them as reversed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:
cilinderman wrote:

Thank you Yalcin!

You're welcome Wink
Sunpak 422 and 433s power comes from their 1-1/16 adjustable power and this is a very important factor, and you can't find a flash with this at this price point.

And for the topic followers let me share something that I've discovered just a few mins ago while using Leica 2.8/35:
You can't use a 28mm and 35mm lens on bellows if you don't reverse it as you can't focus on the subject although you touch it! Not only fully extended but at all positions of the bellows. So for wide and ultra-wides you should and must use them as reversed.

I agree with that! Just tried the Flektogon with 55mm of extension tubes and I couldn't focus anywhere, because to see something the lens had to go "through" what I was going to focus!