Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does Leitz give up on Leica R9 Cameras ??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Does Leitz give up on Leica R9 Cameras ?? Reply with quote

Arsenalphoto today announced an up to 65% discount on the complete series of Leica R9 Cameras + Lenses. Sounds like a sell-out to me! OR is it just them dropping that complete line...??

http://shop.shphotoshop.de/epages/es104977.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es104977_shphoto/Categories/LeicaR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Leica is ditching the R-series permanently.

They recently announced their whopper $35K DSLR called the S2 with a 30mm x 45mm sensor.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they are also constantly telling about the development of a digital R10!
I can imagine that this will be an AF-cam (that can use the "old" MF R-lenses as well). So this would be a reaons to sell out the R-cams and not the R-lenses. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they used all their r&d money to S2 and want to leave the pixel-wars to hobby-camera manufacturers. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity - does anyone know if these new R mount lenses as easily converted via the Leitax system as older R lenses? I see something I like in there...

Regards,

Kelly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger sensor really is the way to go for even higher megapixels.

Canon 50D (15MP, APS-C) is already at 213 pixels/mm. That translates (Nyquist sampling) to a bit over 100lp/mm which already is in the range of the highest-end, sharpest lenses.

On full frame therefore, with 100lp/mm at the sensor would be around 25MP. The current FF DSLR's are already getting close to that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some technical reason why FF is so rare? For example why there are no cheap 6x6 or 645 digital backs with something like 10+ megapixels?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Is there some technical reason why FF is so rare? For example why there are no cheap 6x6 or 645 digital backs with something like 10+ megapixels?

No technical reason, financial reason: price!
Full frame digital sensors are outrageously expensive (for the moment).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that they are not giving up on the R-series.
As Carsten says. There is much hype regarding an "R" DSLR.
I just checked at B+H and the prices there are stable for the moment.
Maybe "Photo ArSE and All" has gotten themselves into a cashflow problem and is freeing up some dough by cost of profit.
Leica has a limited amount of product on the market it seems unwise for them to drop a product line.
I also would guess that the biggest profit maker for them at this point is probably licensing the name to Panasonic for p+s cameras (lumix etc..).
Surely that is not enough butter for the bread in the long run.

Never know though. Maybe the end is nigh for MF Leica Reflex Sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
My guess is that they are not giving up on the R-series.
As Carsten says. There is much hype regarding an "R" DSLR.
I just checked at B+H and the prices there are stable for the moment.
Maybe "Photo ArSE and All" has gotten themselves into a cashflow problem and is freeing up some dough by cost of profit.
Leica has a limited amount of product on the market it seems unwise for them to drop a product line.
I also would guess that the biggest profit maker for them at this point is probably licensing the name to Panasonic for p+s cameras (lumix etc..).
Surely that is not enough butter for the bread in the long run.

Never know though. Maybe the end is nigh for MF Leica Reflex Sad

May be. Perhaps they want to concentrate in M production. Two or three models of M digitals basic, medium and high tech. Basic is for me!!!

Nowhere, it's only a dream.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 10mp Kodak sensored Digital Module for the R8/9 was discontinued 2 years ago (almost exactly) Due to low sales ($6K for the module only).
But is it true that the base film body and system is also Passed on?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

No technical reason, financial reason: price!
Full frame digital sensors are outrageously expensive (for the moment).

i'm not sure if this is "begging the question" Cool
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

but: why the sensors are so expensive?
is it because the sensor material grows only in some special trees in south-east china and thus: the larger the sensor - the more expensive. usually in most areas the smaller the device the more expensive it is?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensors don't follow Moore's Law.

The thing with Moore's Law is that transistor count doubles every 18 months, so you can retain technology and lower the price, or maintain the price and improve the CPU power.

But a sensor is of a fixed size, so its cost doesn't go down that much.

Also large sensors have low market share (sub 2%) so the economies of scale are less apparent.

Here's an example: for the cost (silicon area) of one 5D Mk II sensor, you can probably make 20 Intel Xeon chips each of which you can sell for $200. So there's more money in NOT building FF sensors.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is total and final explanation to my suspicion

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/dx.htm

Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

Well there's a Hassy "basic" 17MP sensor to be used on C500 and H1 bodies that I could find used at about 3000 eu.

It's better than any FF DSLR at the moment (also the ones with more MPs) and that's the reason why the cost doesn't go down. It's simply that if you need pro output you need a pro instrument and so demand doesn't shrink neither expanding too much (not many new pro around).

This happens for all the pro instruments that fill very small market niches.