Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aico Anastigmat 55mm enlarger lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Aico Anastigmat 55mm enlarger lens Reply with quote

Picked this up for a few quid on the fray! Connected it to a small extension tube and an M39-M42 adapter...

Looking forward to the summer...can't wait to try some of these interesting lenses out in the field!

Crop one:

Crop two:

Looks alright to me, particularly the bokeh. I need some sunlight and interesting subjects now though!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to enlarger lens. How did you connect it? Just that enlarger lens + extension tube and then the body mounting? No other lens in between? In my P&S days, I am used to front end teles in front of achromats like the rude setup below to get insect macros.

Exploring to get similar shots from a DSLR setup but on a budget and w/o elaborate bellows/focusing rails/etc.

cheers,
gil

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, fabulous, fabulous shots!

This one has an M39 screw mount, so I bought a cheap M39->M42 adapter from the Ukraine (on the fray) and screwed the M39 adapter onto the lens and then the lens and adapter into an M42 extension tube, then the extension tube into the M42 -> DSLR adapter on the camera. Nothing fancy.

I've got some bellows around here too, but not sure I'd want (well, my girlfriend would want Laughing ) to lug bellows around in the field!

M42 extension tubes can be had for next to nothing.

Good luck, and if I manage to get shots anywhere near as good as your P&S ones, I'll be chuffed!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots ...i used to do the same in my point and shoot days...built weird contraptions for makro... then i got a dslr and no im building even more contraptions ! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great resoults!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luck and some help from Alex will get you an M42 helicoid for under $100. This is a great investment if you are serious about putting enlarger lenses to work as macros. This device acts as infinitely variable extension tubes over the range of the helicoid. They are fun to use

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Wow, fabulous, fabulous shots!

This one has an M39 screw mount, so I bought a cheap M39->M42 adapter from the Ukraine (on the fray) and screwed the M39 adapter onto the lens and then the lens and adapter into an M42 extension tube, then the extension tube into the M42 -> DSLR adapter on the camera. Nothing fancy.

I've got some bellows around here too, but not sure I'd want (well, my girlfriend would want Laughing ) to lug bellows around in the field!

M42 extension tubes can be had for next to nothing.

Good luck, and if I manage to get shots anywhere near as good as your P&S ones, I'll be chuffed!

Thanks. I recently got 3 enlarging lens for $1/piece for some experimentation. I have the Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter to act as the focusing mechanism (I used in my 50mm manual for macro purposes) but it doesn't seem to work on the enlarging lens mounted normal or reversed. I might add some extension tubes.

I can't seem to detect that you use a focusing mechanism/helicoid. How do you focus? back and forth movement?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
Great shots ...i used to do the same in my point and shoot days...built weird contraptions for makro... then i got a dslr and no im building even more contraptions ! Shocked

Thanks all. Lol, yes, I thought when I shifted to DSLR, my days of contraptions would be over but I guess not.
cheers,
gil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Luck and some help from Alex will get you an M42 helicoid for under $100. This is a great investment if you are serious about putting enlarger lenses to work as macros. This device acts as infinitely variable extension tubes over the range of the helicoid. They are fun to use
patrickh

Yes, helicoid is one ingredient in this macro mix. I sort of use one (the Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter) which work for me for my 50mm and 58mm manual lenses but not yet in this enlarger lens setup. I'll try with some extension tubes. The $100 helicoid is a bit too much for my budget and will require negotiation with the wife. I found an old exakta focusing helicoid/tube at a more reasonable price :~). Might take that option later on.

I already have the Kiron 105mm f2.8 which could get me at 1:1 but still not yet to the level of my P&S results. The adventure continues with your generous inputs.

Thanks all,
gil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharp results, enlarger lenses are great for macros
check also mflenses helicoid reviewed by Dr.Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil,
Excellent shots using the point & shoot !...I have the Lester Dine version of the 105mm F2.8 Kiron macro & that gets you right up there like your P&S shots ...I had posted one on one of the other treads here of an Eastern Boxelder insect...I also have the Vivitar 2x macro converter & when the weather warms up & I get an M39 to Nikon adapter, I'm going to mount a Rodenstock 135mm F5.6 enlarger lens on the 2x macro converter & see what I get...I player with that lens on a bellows but as it's a bit cumbersome, I wanted to try the other setup...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
gil,
Excellent shots using the point & shoot !...I have the Lester Dine version of the 105mm F2.8 Kiron macro & that gets you right up there like your P&S shots ...I had posted one on one of the other treads here of an Eastern Boxelder insect...I also have the Vivitar 2x macro converter & when the weather warms up & I get an M39 to Nikon adapter, I'm going to mount a Rodenstock 135mm F5.6 enlarger lens on the 2x macro converter & see what I get...I player with that lens on a bellows but as it's a bit cumbersome, I wanted to try the other setup...

Thanks Scott. Yes, I need to play more with my Kiron. I am 100% hand holding and using only the on-board flash from my DSLR. I also recently acquired an old Minolta focusing rail. Maybe that one may help although it may alter my whole mind set in this type of shot. I'll look into your posting (currently in the office now :~)). Let me know the results of your enlarger setup.

cheers and thanks again for your input.
gil