Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some from the weekend
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Some from the weekend Reply with quote

Some pictures I took this weekend. I found that taking photographs is a good therapy. Although the moral isn't up enough yet to enjoy watching them afterwards, at least taking them keeps me concentrated on the task and allows me to really "unplug" for a couple of hours.

01. The castle of Vigoleno, on a very blue day. Zeiss Contax Distagon 2.8/25 on EOS 5D

02. Vines on the hills around Vigoleno. Leica Elmarit-R 135 second version, on EOS 5D

03. Leica Elmarit-R 135 second version, on EOS 5D

04. Leica Elmarit-R 135 second version, on EOS 5D

05. Back in Salso, the equestrian school was doing a show of the young riders in the Mazzini Park.
Leica Elmarit-R 135 second version, on EOS 5D

06. Leica Elmarit-R 135 second version, on EOS 5D

07. Leica Elmarit-R 135 second version, on EOS 5D

08. Leica Elmarit-R 135 second version, on EOS 5D

09. This one of course is not a young pupil, maybe a parent. Leica Elmarit-R 135 second version, on EOS 5D

10. A nice horse with a wanna-be cowboy on his/her back. Leica Elmarit-R 135 second version, on EOS 5D

11. Pupils and the teacher. Leica Elmarit-R 135 second version, on EOS 5D

12. Zeiss Contax Sonnar 2.8/85 on EOS 5D

13. The first jumps. Zeiss Contax Sonnar 2.8/85 on EOS 5D

14. Zeiss Contax Sonnar 2.8/85 on EOS 5D

15. A health-conscious horse enjoying Ginkgo leaves. Zeiss Contax Sonnar 2.8/85 on EOS 5D

16. The wanna-be (and quite unlikely) cowboy gives his horse some rest before the time comes to fade away in the sunset.
Zeiss Contax Sonnar 2.8/85 on EOS 5D

As a final note I add that almost all the equestrian photos have been taken wide open (which means f/2.8 for both the Elmarit and the Sonnar).

Last edited by Orio on Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos and nice sharp lenses too, great work Orio, 15 is my favourite.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I wouldn't a Leica fun before, but this 135mm Elmarit changed something ... I suppose my first Leica lens would be a 135mm ELMARIT.
Very nice series!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - nice serie with lot of details.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you can see the quality of those lenses really come out when used like this.

Very nice Orio!

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio
Glad you are out and we get to benefit from your therapy. Those are nice takes with some lovely lenses. My only problem with my Nikon is being restricted to nikon lenses for the most part, would love to try some of those CZJ's and Leicas, and even some of the older russian lenses.

Thanks

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, nice series, Orio. I find it amusing that the young girls are
riding English saddle for their dressage exercises, but the older guys
are riding western saddle. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... Leica!!! What a lens!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2,#10 my favorites!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you fellows. Smile

@ Bill: I think the reason is that the older guys are not scholars of the school. I think the kids of the school are using the saddle that is requested for the equestrian competitions, while the older guys are probably John Wayne fans and use what they want Wink
(BTW, one of the "girls" is a boy, the one in #5, 12, 13, I know his family).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Orio
Glad you are out and we get to benefit from your therapy. Those are nice takes with some lovely lenses. My only problem with my Nikon is being restricted to nikon lenses for the most part, would love to try some of those CZJ's and Leicas, and even some of the older russian lenses.
Thanks
patrickh

Thanks to you Patrick. Well, used 300Ds are available now for about 250 Euros.
See here:
Click here to see on Ebay
So I think that everyone now can buy a 300D and access all the above lenses at an affordable price.
The 300D is 6 MP but it's truly excellent quality, enough to appreciate the best lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thank you fellows. Smile

@ Bill: I think the reason is that the older guys are not scholars of the school. I think the kids of the school are using the saddle that is requested for the equestrian competitions, while the older guys are probably John Wayne fans and use what they want Wink
(BTW, one of the "girls" is a boy, the one in #5, 12, 13, I know his family).

yes, my bad, I was paying too much attention to #7 and #14 in the
plum or purple riding breeches (not jodhpurs).

Thanks for sharing these. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots!
Love the horse head at #10, it's great the sharpness and the light balance.
Nice good lens... (And the photographer behind doing a good job Wink).
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Patrick
I shoot with Nikon D50 quite a lot with CZJ M42 lenses you will have no infinity, but before reach infinity distance works just great! For example a CZJ 135mm f3.5 lens will be an excellent portrait lens effective focal length around 90-100mm etc. You need to by only a simple Nikon-M42 adapter ring without compensation lens. Widely available on Ebay.
Click here to see on Ebay All shoots taken with Nikon D50 and different M42 lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one from Saturday. No horses allowed.
This sign is at the entrance of the castle. Evidently they don't want the horses to impact the old stones of the pavement with their, ehm, engine waste. Smile

(Zeiss Contax Planar 2/135 on EOS 5D)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another favorite ! Look at the sharpness!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That elmarit is very nice, you made some excellent shots here with it, especially the grapes for me. The version makes a big difference?
I can get a lens like this for a good price, but it is a 1-cam. Means absolutely nothing to me...
Thanks for sharing these.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:
That elmarit is very nice, you made some excellent shots here with it, especially the grapes for me. The version makes a big difference?
I can get a lens like this for a good price, but it is a 1-cam. Means absolutely nothing to me...
Thanks for sharing these.

Like you said, the cams per se have no importance unless you plan to use the lens with a Leica reflex.
However the number of cams is often changing with the different versions, and the different versions can mean a lot or difference (or not, depending on the model). Sometimes the different versions are just different aesthetically but optically identical (like with the Summicron-R 90), sometimes the second versions are optical evolutions of the first version, and sometimes they are completely different lenses.
In the case of the Elmarit-R 135, the second version is a completely different lens.
I translate from my "Leica Lenses" Sartorius book: "During 1968, at the same time the Leicaflex SL was released, Leitz introduces a new Elmarit-R 135 f/2.8 (...) totally redesigned.".
The 1-cam model is the first version (released 1964), which may be as well a great lens (Sartorius describes it as with "high contrast and resolving power" and he says that "it gives its best performance already at f/4" and that it is offers a "great performance at close-up focusing if moderately stopped-down"), but it's a different lens, so you should not decide based on my images.
The only thing I can tell you, which may help you for your choice, is that I took all the pictures in this series wide open, including the horse's head. So as you can see my lens is terrific sharp already wide open. So this perhaps may be a difference. For sure all the second versions of the R lenses have this obvious goal in common, that is, the effort of the designers to make them totally sharp wide open.

One word of caution for people looking for the second version, be careful because aesthetically it is identical to the first version, so it can be deceving, especially if the seller is not honest. The two things that you can use to tell them apart are:
- the serial number (the second version begins with number 2,772,619)
- the number of cams (the second version only has 2 or 3 cams, while the first version only has one cam)
As for the value, this site:
http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/b.htm
states a used value of 150 US$ for the first version and 250 US$ for the second version.
In my opinion the evaluation of the second version is slightly optimistic. I have bought my copy in a like new condition for 200 Eur from a shop near Pisa, but I consider it a lucky strike, because I often see more used copies being sold on Ebay for a higher price.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, what a detailed and precise answer.

Now I know that the price is perhaps not as good as I thought it was.

I think I will keep looking.
I have a Takumar prerset 135mm which I have to say does nothing for me (only cost Ł12 with postage so no real loss!!)

Leica lenses are an attractive proposition in terms of their results, and some reasonable prices on the R system, but with all the versions it seems to be a bit of a minefield.

I look forward to more of your shots!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:
Thanks so much, what a detailed and precise answer.
Now I know that the price is perhaps not as good as I thought it was.

I suspect that the link I gave lists some optimistic prices.
Perhaps a better idea would be to make some Ebay searches on the already sold items.

Quote:
Leica lenses are an attractive proposition in terms of their results, and some reasonable prices on the R system, but with all the versions it seems to be a bit of a minefield.

Yes, the versions thing is a jungle, I had to buy a book to sort it out. Confused

Quote:
I look forward to more of your shots!!

Thanks, I surely plan to do more, although now I have restarted to work so I will have much less free time. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

In the case of the Elmarit-R 135, the second version is a completely different lens.
I translate from my "Leica Lenses" Sartorius book: "During 1968, at the same time the Leicaflex SL was released, Leitz introduces a new Elmarit-R 135 f/2.8 (...) totally redesigned."

One word of caution for people looking for the second version, be careful because aesthetically it is identical to the first version, so it can be deceving, especially if the seller is not honest. The two things that you can use to tell them apart are:
- the serial number (the second version begins with number 2,772,619)
- the number of cams (the second version only has 2 or 3 cams, while the first version only has one cam)

Sorry to drag up this topic again but I want to buy a 135 elmarit and according to http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Leica_db.html there are 3 versions of the elmarit.

1964-1968 1967001-2193700
1968-1976 2193701-2772618
1976-1998 2772619-....

I'm a bit confused when the new optical version first started. In 1968 from serial number 2193701 onwards or 1976 from serial number 2772619 onwards? Is the above website mistaken?

Thank you all for any help you can give in clearing this up.

Edit: Maybe this is in the wrong section?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awful! Suberb colors and sharpness!