Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

German glasses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: German glasses Reply with quote

I think that the pancolars 1,8/50 and 1,8/80 were made with schott glasses.

And read that the pentacons - meyer - were made with poland (not schott) glasses.

Anybody knows about that?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know.

But I like to use this thread to ask something that I has confused me for a while now:

Aren't "glasses" the things you wear on your nose and look through?
"Glass" is the material you make lenses from, right?
But how do you say the plural of "glass", like in different types pf "glass".
Would that be "glass" (as in "fish" pl.) or "glasses" (but how do you differentiate that from "goggles").

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Question

OH, I understand

PAACHAANGAAA!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Question Question
@estudleon / LucisPictor:
Can anyone introduce into your cryptic conversation?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro wrote:
Question Question Question
@estudleon / LucisPictor:
Can anyone introduce into your cryptic conversation?

Excuse me

I never drink again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the easiest way to make it clear is to refer to different "(optical) glass types" or "sorts of (optical) glass"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I don't know.

But I like to use this thread to ask something that I has confused me for a while now:

Would that be "glass" (as in "fish" pl.) or "glasses" (but how do you differentiate that from "goggles").

"Glasses" is OK. You differentiate by the context - although there might be some ambiguity as this thread illustrates.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Anybody knows the answer?

Seems that no.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rino - sorry, I don't know the answer to your original question. I do know the answer to this one, though.

LucisPictor wrote:

Yes. Also the plural of things you drink from: "after the party, the kitchen was full of dirty glasses". Although, the thing you wear is more fully a "pair of glasses", thus its a singular object that looks like a plural (same for a pair of ninoculars, a pair of trousers (that's pants, in US English).

LucisPictor wrote:

Depends. As an adjective, it would be singular: "the lens is made from eight glass elements" (elements is plural but they are all glass). If the intention is to show the multiplicity of glass types (note in that phrase, types was plural but glass was singular) one could use a plural: "the doublet was made from crown and flint glasses" but once could also say "both crown and flint glass are used to make the doublet".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so that's what Schott glass is made from.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As opposed to a shot glass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

err... so, Zeiss used SCHOTT glass, while Asahi used HOT glass. Does the lack of S, C and one T mean any difference?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free academy?

It's good.

When the course of English finishes, probably we can talk about the thread

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are used different material after WWII I read somewhere this they used different glass as raw material this source said this is reason why all Meyer soft compare with sharp CZJ. I don't know is it truth or not. In my experience pre-war Meyer and pre-war CZJ are identical quality even in sharpness and I saw huge difference on post-war lenses. Early post war lenses are really good from Meyer too, trouble came out later. Perhaps no related with raw material might be Klaus or somebody else know the answer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ein stein, Einstein?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make me crack up Chris Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Ein stein, Einstein?

A "real" Stein is made of clay ("Steinzeug") btw. not glass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Klaus Laughing

You're so funny. I think that in Latin is chochamu chorrabo Wink or similar. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Rino, whats this Polish glass you were talking about? Google draws a blank for me (I did look, before posting jokes).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, for this reason I asked it to the guys forum, that they are always so amiable in sharing knowledge.

Yes, mi english isn't good, as you can note, but I'm sure that you will do the effort to understand Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The region around Görlitz was one of the main centers of the German glass industry, and Meyer sourced their glass locally or regionally. After WWII, the eastern part of the city, Zgorzelec, became part of Poland, and with it, several of the local glass makers. It is at least possible that the partner of choice was situated in Zgorzelec, or that Soviet planning for the region assigned the role of the optical glass maker to a combinate on the Polish side. I'll see whether I can research this later this year.

Sevo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Sevo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Sevo! This is explain a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sevo - that makes sense.