Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is so special regarding this Biotar?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: What is so special regarding this Biotar? Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay
Probably description:
Quote:
A little dusty, but otherwise seems O.K.

Seller will be happy for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very early M42 ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looks early pre-war lens , but title say on front 58mm I expect 5.8 cm here. Mostly IQ is less than later lenses. I seen first time this lens in aluminum finish, might be not genuine or very , very rare.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a review of it, then:

http://www.mflenses.com/index.php/Carl-Zeiss-Jena-DDR/Carl-Zeiss-Jena-Biotar-58mm-f/2-alu-M42-Lens-Review.html
?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This review is done by me from later edition what is pretty common.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am for Attila view, "may not be genuine.."

Seems to me, some one put the later lenses front ring to earlier version... (which has company name and FL etc...)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen on eBay similar looking housing/barrel but was black in color. It went for something like $80 attached to a camera. My guess is this must be early pre-war version.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same version. 58mm, pre-war design, but post-war production, ALU.

http://forum.mflenses.com/my-new-jenas-t13382.html

The lens is not common. It's not pre-set, but full-manual and it has 17 iris blades.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Yours has also 58mm label. So seems lens is valid.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks that I have earlier copy. This is not aluminum body but chrome one. My guess is that somebody here has the same copy, not alu.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This chrome-Biotar seems to me close to the rare "black-Biotar":

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an alu version fully manual and with 17-bladed iris, 58mm so it's postwar version. Smaller than the newer versions and it has protruding back element.

Apart from the focusing scale (3.75m marking in that auction photo) they look the same to me?

Last edited by Esox lucius on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

automatic?

mine was taken from this praktica:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro wrote:
This chrome-Biotar seems to me close to the rare "black-Biotar":

It looks that it is popular and very cheap (just joking) look at Maxim post here http://forum.mflenses.com/my-small-collection-classic-german-lenses-t11895.html, I think that 24 euro for this lens is quite fair price Twisted Evil
My copy is manual only. Also 17 blades aperture.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! I spent €29 for mine Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black one can reach above 100 EUR or more if you find and also you can get for lot less. One of my copy absolutely crap owner did clean with sand paper both side, unusable soft. Other copy is more less same than later Alu version.