Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

my new Jenas :-)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: my new Jenas :-) Reply with quote

I recieved 4 new M42 CZJ lenses this week:

CZJ Tessar T 50/2.8
CZJ Tessar T 40/4.5
CZJ Biotar T 58/2 (old version based on pre-war design, 17 iris blades)
aus Jena Pancolar 55/1.4

CZJ Tessar T 50/2.8
- surprisingly doesn't have stick focusing, but this lens is not very sharp, it seems to be less sharp than the Biotar. Is it normal? I heard that Tessars are very sharp, but I'm not sure, if it isn't valid only for the later design from sixties(?)

CZJ Tessar T 40/4.5
- sticky focusing (my serviceman won't be very happy Laughing ), unfortunately this nice lens cannot be used with my Sigma SD14, at least at infinity (interferes with dust filter) Sad

CZJ Biotar T 58/2
- very similar to pre-war version, but this one is from fifties and has alu body... sticky focusing. Diaphragm contains 17 blades and is fully manual. Glass contains Biotar bubbles. According to my quick testing, this version is sligtly less sharp, than the later pre-set version (I'll make direct comparision later). This Biotar is very small, smaller than any other Biotar and Helios 58/2 lenses, even smaller than Tessars

aus Jena Pancolar 55/1.4
- works good, has some coating marks. Glass is horribly yellow (thorium), I'll try my UV lamp... it seems, that this lens could have quite good bokeh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of them rare and exceptional 1.4/55 and 40mm lenses.
Yellow is absolutely normal on 1.4/55 and not impact anything don't cure!
Both are wonderful lenses keep them in big respect!
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/pancolar_001/carl_zeiss_jena_pancolar_55mm_f1_4/

Taken with my yellow glass.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the yellowed glass outfilters almost whole blue channel and my Foveon doesn't manage it very well. This Pancolar is much more yellow than any Takumar I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pancolar is yellow fully and Olympus E-1 handle without any problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are gorgeous!! I would kill to have the pancolar! A UV lamp for a month or so will remedy the yellowing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all delicious lenses, but that Pancolar is in another league altogether.

Congratulations on this great purchase Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your Biotar will be fixed you will be really surprised. Astonish bokeh (17 aperture leaves) and very sharp wide open. I have the same one. Mine doesn't look like alu, rather stainless steel. Better then sex Laughing
Great group of very good lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
Better then sex Laughing

It's comments like this that make me want to spend even more money in the search for my perfect set of lenses Laughing [/i]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
Better then sex Laughing

Just like cricket then (according to Harold Pinter who died a couple of days ago).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 12-bladed Tessar 2.8/50 and when compared to Biotar 2/58 17-bladed (0.9m near focus) the Tessar is more detailed but with uglier bokeh wide open. When stopped down to f/5.6 the Biotar wins over the Tessar.