Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 Wide Open Infinity Focus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 Wide Open Infinity Focus Reply with quote

I just got an SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 yeseterday and I noticed that it doesn't focus well (quite blurred) when focusing at infinity wide open.

Is it because the depth of field is so small (wait, that's not correct right?) ? It got better when stopped down. I should do a comparison with my Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.4.

Other than that the SMC Tak is pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 Wide Open Infinity Focus Reply with quote

onesurvive wrote:
I just got an SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 yeseterday and I noticed that it doesn't focus well (quite blurred) when focusing at infinity wide open.

Is it because the depth of field is so small (wait, that's not correct right?) ? It got better when stopped down. I should do a comparison with my Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.4.

The Takumar is a superb lens mechanically and optically - no doubts about that. But please tell me which camera you used and which adapter (if any)? For all we know it could be a fault of your camera or your adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mamiya 55/1.8 like that, very soft at infinity wide-open. The problem was that the mount was loose and the lens was not really getting infinity focus.This can be hidden by DOF at smaller apertures.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 Wide Open Infinity Focus Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
onesurvive wrote:

The Takumar is a superb lens mechanically and optically - no doubts about that. But please tell me which camera you used and which adapter (if any)? For all we know it could be a fault of your camera or your adapter.

Tried it on my Olympus e-420 with an m42 to 4/3 adapter I got from ebay and also tried it on a Praktica MTL3. Although, I don't know if it was better on the Praktica since I haven't developed the film yet. Although, from what I could tell in the viewfinder, it didn't look focused.

I've used other m42 lenses on both and they do seem to be able to focus better at infinity on both cameras. I still have to play around with the Tak more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a common illness of these old Takumars where the focus goes off.

I fixed my 35/3.5 Super-Takumar this way.

These are the instructions for the 35/2
http://k10dpentax.blogspot.com/2008/05/fixing-infinite-focus-on-super-takumar.html

But they worked just fine for my 35/3.5 and probably for yours...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:

http://k10dpentax.blogspot.com/2008/05/fixing-infinite-focus-on-super-takumar.html

Thanks for the instructions. Although, I don't think I'm confident enough to do it lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared against my Olympus 50mm f1.4, the Tak does suffer infinity focus. Guess I gotta try those fixing instructions out. I need to find the right tools to get the front name ring off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

onesurvive wrote:
orly_andico wrote:

Thanks for the instructions. Although, I don't think I'm confident enough to do it lol.

At first, thanks to orly_andico for posting the link from my blog Wink ...

Then, to onesurvive: I fixed my Tak 50/1.4 this way ... Apparently this works for most of the "short" Takumar lenses (i think at least the 135/3.5 cannot be fixed this way) ... Anyway, don't be scared, it's really easy to adjust it ... It will only take you a lot of time trying to get the right infinity focus ...

Best regards

Edit: if you need it, i think i have some picture i took while fixing my 50/1.4 (just in case of ... i am a little maniac, sometimes Wink ) ... just drop a message here and i will try to find them and post here or on my blog ...