Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flektogon 35/2.4 -- importance of "electric" and s
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Flektogon 35/2.4 -- importance of "electric" and s Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I like to use M42 lenses on my Sony A700, and I'm interested in the CZJ Flektogon 35mm 2.4. I tried to do a little online research, but I only got more confused about this lens!

With respect to using this lens on a Sony A700, what version of this lens would give me that highest IQ without paying for extras that I can't use on a DSLR?

Should I buy a an "electric" version or not? Or an "auto" version or not?

Similarly, should I be shopping for a lower serial number or a higher serial number of this lens? I've seen a copy with a very low serial number and one with a very high serial number.

There are dozens and dozens of these lenses available, so I might as well buy the one that will give me the highest IQ without paying for extras that I can't use on a DSLR.

So.... what is the best version of this lens for me?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take any of them, on DSLR body with M42 adapter every variant is same no difference. IQ is pretty stable (excellent) on every copy, I sold at least 30 copies from this lens all was excellent. I didn't find any lemon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two (i) Red MC S electric & (ii) White MC non-electric. I didn't make extensive use of either and I didn't hold them at the same time. However my impression is that they were very similar.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attila,

Thanks very much for your response, and for your reassurances about all the versions of this lens.

However, I think *part* of the fun of being a hobbyist is to understand all the subtle differences of manual lenses, and how those differences do, or at least should, affect image quality.

So, for educational purposes -- and for the fun of it!! - I'd love to hear some more responses!

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been pointed out on this forum before, the chances of getting a very good copy of the Flektogon might be higher if you buy the "Aus Jena" version. I'd also choose the Electric version as that is the most recent one:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Attila pointed out, they are all the same, independent from their labeling.

Another thing is the choice of the lens itself. For a long time I thought it to be the best match. Meanwhile I prefer as a standard lens the:

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50 / 1.8 (nearly perfect and available light usable - http://img2.fotocommunity.com/photos/13676547.jpg).
or
Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 28 / 2.5 (cheap but marvellous - http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/434323/display/14126202).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Spotmatic wrote:
As has been pointed out on this forum before, the chances of getting a very good copy of the Flektogon might be higher if you buy the "Aus Jena" version. I'd also choose the Electric version as that is the most recent one:

In fact, this is not totally true, since "AUS JENA" (which should mean "From Jena", if i remember well) is the labelling of the Zeiss lenses that were sold in the US after WWII, when Zeiss was split in "Carl Zeiss" and "Carl Zeiss Jena". Due to copyright issues, only "Carl Zeiss" was allowed to sell Zeiss lenses in the US, so Carl Zeiss Jena used the brand "Aus Jena" ...

As Attila pointed out, these are all the same lenses, i have two of them and the only difference is ... a sticker on one of the two front caps Wink ...

Hope this helps

Best regards

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 MC fleks 35/2.4. Both of them were sharp, but one of them had sligtly less CA. unfortunately this one had a bit stick focusing ring and possibly one loosy element (1 of 10 pictures looked like taken by tilt-shift lens).

Last edited by no-X on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
the electric version and the auto version are basically the same. The only difference are three small contacts which allow full aperture metering with some Praktica cameras (LLC, VLC or PLC). For the use on a DSLR you won't see any difference.

Quote:
I'd also choose the Electric version as that is the most recent one

That is not entirely true since both versions were also produced at the same time since the Praktica MTL-series didn't need the electric contacts. Also the last generation of M42 Praktica models was without full aperture metering.

Quote:
In fact, this is not totally true, since "AUS JENA" (which should mean "From Jena", if i remember well) is the labelling of the Zeiss lenses that were sold in the US after WWII, when Zeiss was split in "Carl Zeiss" and "Carl Zeiss Jena". Due to copyright issues, only "Carl Zeiss" was allowed to sell Zeiss lenses in the US, so Carl Zeiss Jena used the brand "Aus Jena" ...

The "aus Jena" lenses where the export version for Western Europe and the US. Domestic sales were labeled Carl Zeiss Jena. You can sometimes read the the quality control for the export lenses was better but I don't know if this was true. (The only aus Jena lens I had was a Tessar with sticky aperture).

If you look for this lens just watch out that the aperture blades are working properly. They can get sticky by the time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent discussion!! Thanks to all involved!!

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooo! I secured an "excellent" 35/2.4 Carl Zeiss electric MC version for £28.00 today from a dealer Very Happy Can't wait for it to arrive!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Wooo! I secured an "excellent" 35/2.4 Carl Zeiss electric MC version for £28.00 today from a dealer Very Happy Can't wait for it to arrive!!

sounds like a New Year present, well done.