Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 40d -> Canon FD lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Canon 40d -> Canon FD lens Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new on the forum. I bought about a month ago a Canon 40d with the 100 mm macro lens.

Due to some lack of money i tought buying FD lenses to put on my camera.

Is the result good ?

I have seen many adapters with and with a glass, etc ... which one are the best ?

Thanks for your advice

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, if you want good results, buy (almost) any lens brand, but no Canon FD.
THey (like Minolta manual lenses) require the use of an optical adapter that degrades image quality.

You have a whole world of lenses to choose from for your Canon camera... Nikkor lenses, Olympus lenses, Contax lenses, Leica lenses, Pentax lenses, M42 lenses, Exakta lenses, Rollei lenses... the world of the best manual lenses is at your fingertip! Which is the best part of owning a Canon DSLR.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Adapter with glass highly degrade image quality I not recommended at all. Also not recommend to take old FD lenses , I suggest to buy instead of FD from following lenses.

Nikon
Carl Zeiss Contax, Rollei
Yashica
Leica-R
Pentax-K
M42
Tamron SP
Olympus OM

Adapter available on Ebay with focus confirmation chip and support infinity. Smarter choice than take FD lenses without infinity support or with glass adapter with crappy result.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Eric!

I fully agree with Orio. Take a pass on the FD lenses. Any lens that requires a glass element adapter will be compromised. There are many other low cost alternatives. A good idea is to come back here and search the gallery for a lens you are thinking of purchasing. Click on the big lens and iris icon in the upper left of this page. You will be directed to samples and reviews of the great manual lenses of the past. You can search by brand or country of manufacture. Also a price guide is available to help you to not spend to much.

Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Eric
the 40D is very good for manual lenses but no solution for Canon FD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your replies.

I'll watch the other lenses that are recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Eric, if you want good results, buy (almost) any lens brand, but no Canon FD.
They (like Minolta manual lenses) require the use of an optical adapter that degrades image quality.
Like Minolta manual lenses, you can get a macro adapter without optical element, which allows FD lens to be used for macro only but without quality loss.
I use the FD 50mm f/3.5 macro together with the FL Bellows (for higher magnification) on my 40D with good results. But you already have a 100mm macro lens...

For normal use, if you want to focus further away than 30cm Wink, then you shouldn't take FD lenses.

Last edited by AhamB on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Eric, enjoy your stay!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some intresting russian lenses with a M39 mount are will it work as good as a M42 lens on my 40D ?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely if you saw SLR lenses, M39 screw available for SLR and rangefinder too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ahamb and Erick!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Long time i didn't post something.... but i'm still interested and read alot in your forum !

Is it possible to use a Contax G lens on a Canon 40d ?

I love the desing of those lenses ! Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric999 wrote: ....Due to some lack of money i tought buying FD lenses to put on my camera.
Is the result good ?

Hi Eric999, FD lenses might be nothing special for someone who never used it. It is not easy to convert, but I think, FD lenses still show their great performance.
I already converted many of them, please have a look for the results at my flickr.
Kind regrads

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

convert1 wrote:
Eric999 wrote: ....Due to some lack of money i tought buying FD lenses to put on my camera.
Is the result good ?

Hi Eric999, FD lenses might be nothing special for someone who never used it. It is not easy to convert, but I think, FD lenses still show their great performance.
I already converted many of them, please have a look for the results at my flickr.
Kind regrads

How do you convert them ? With an adaptor or another way ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric999, I didn't use adaptor, just replaced FD mount with EF mount.
If you use adaptor (mostly with glas), you loose image quality.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

convert1 wrote:
Hi Eric999, I didn't use adaptor, just replaced FD mount with EF mount.
If you use adaptor (mostly with glas), you loose image quality.

Each time you "kill" an EF lens to be able to change an FD lens in an EF one ?

Is it difficult to do ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't kill any EF lenses, there are also another company like tokina, sigma etc. Especially the first auto focus generation seem to be easy to purchase it ( electronic part damaged, err 99 in digital body etc).
To convert FD lens is not easy , require precision work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric (welcome too)

To convert FD lens to EF mount is not easy as some said so far,
I did once (FD 55/1.2 S.S.C. to EF). FL lens seem to be a bit easier
to convert, but I have never done it.

That breach mount is both aperture control and mechanical base
of the mount, this makes the conversion difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local repair man successfully converted Tair3A Canon FD to Nikon mount. I asked him is it possible with every FD lenses , he said NO. It's highly dependent lens construction , no universal receipt. Our member VGR has replaceable Canon FD end for 4/3.