Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

for the bokeh freaks & photoshoppers !!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: for the bokeh freaks & photoshoppers !! Reply with quote

Check out this artist at flickr..
If you go through the photo stream ..
U will see many shots with great use of bokeh...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianton/

Ofcourse i know how he does it & then it looses the same charm.
But shouldn't really matter if you are of the sorts ' no matter how the result is achieved as long as it looks great. "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianton/2778084537/

Last edited by dakoo on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: for the bokeh freaks & photoshoppers !! Reply with quote

dakoo wrote:
But shouldn't really matter if you are of the sorts ' no matter how the result is achieved as long as it looks great. "

I am, but nonetheless I find most of those shots overly photoshopped. I'm also not a great fan of textures in photo, they're very clichéd lately.

You also have to take in account that one thing is watching a 800 (or less in most of the cases) pixel wide photo at 72 dpi, one thing is to get it printed, even if only at 20x30. 90% of Flickr artists textured images would miserably crumble then.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am usually not keen on this type of things (the CG aesthetisms), but here I recognize some strong vision in the artist.

Not all works are up to that vision, but at least many of them use the CG elaborations to a purpose, and not just as an easy "add art" button - which is unfortunately quite common to see.

This one for example is a strong image in my opinion:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianton/2525391312/in/set-72157601590520896/

In 95 cases out of 100, with this type of images, I think that the simple, unadulterated photograph would have been better. But here, I am not so sure. So for me this means that the CG effects have been used to an end, and not just for decoration.
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Orio, we shouldn't exchange roles Laughing

Jokes apart, I understand what you're saying and I mainly agree.

Still there's nothing really innovative, just very good craftmanship in the use of textures that I'd like to examine in prints, not in small images at monitor resolution.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I really like this pics and think some of them are some kind of masterpiece!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Bokeh on Blending Layer Reply with quote

Alessandro I agree about the print issue & also do not mean to supporter of photoshop for 'click filter for art' stuff..
But here the dreamy effect is used with a vision as Orio too pointed out. Also not all of the shots have to be masterpieces, their is a law of avgs afterall Very Happy

I pointed the link as it might end up give interesting ideas to some members around here who i suppose are far knowledgable about bokeh & more importantly have the equipment to make it. Maybe we will see some interesting experiments.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bokeh on Blending Layer Reply with quote

dakoo wrote:
Alessandro I agree about the print issue & also do not mean to supporter of photoshop for 'click filter for art' stuff..
But here the dreamy effect is used with a vision as Orio too pointed out. Also not all of the shots have to be masterpieces, their is a law of avgs afterall Very Happy

I pointed the link as it might end up give interesting ideas to some members around here who i suppose are far knowledgable about bokeh & more importantly have the equipment to make it. Maybe we will see some interesting experiments.

You did the right thing to post that link.

I agree that it has a very very good taste using a tecnique that is very inflated lately (especially on Flickr where also the sis and the gramma have their textured shots).

What I mean is that if you're after a round of claps in Flickr you can go away pretty easily with textures taken here and there in the web

If you want to print your images there's a lot of harder work to do as you have to personally create your high res textures otherway the result will be very poor.