Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trying out Bibble Pro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Trying out Bibble Pro Reply with quote

I am trying out Bibble Pro (and some plugins) after a long time (last time I used it it was 2 years ago).
I have to say that I am impressed, the interface, once messy, is now clear and efficient. And the conversion quality is excellent with great fidelity to Canon colours.
I have tried it on a photo I took with the 400D this summer:

whole resized:

100% crop detail:

(the lens was Elmarit-R 90)

I'm hooked, I think I will have to buy the program Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I'm hooked on Bibble, too! I only have Bibble Lite latest version, still waiting for the free 5.0 upgrade, but use it for both film scans and digicam files. It was about the colors that sold me in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the control available, including such things as lens aberration correction, as well as highlights, noise, saturation etc. with some good plugins, makes PS largely redundant. As I have said before, PS conversion of RAW is very very limited because the program added that capability late on. They are still hooked on making most adjustments on the TIFF/jpeg output. Bibble uses TIFF/jpeg mainly as a convenient output medium

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

which plugins for Bibble are you talking about, when stating "some good plugins"?
The only thing I am using right now is a "full" Noise Ninja ... but of course I am willing to learn Smile

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
Guys,
which plugins for Bibble are you talking about,?
Cheers!

For me the core tasks of raw conversion are only 5 or 6:

- white balance
- exposure
- contrast
- noise reduction (if necessary)
- sharpening (if necessary)
- conversion

Therefore I am not interested much in the other plugins such as colour shifting or framing.
However I have found this Gina plugin that interests me, because it offers a subtle control on skin tone, and this can be useful at times.

For the normal tasks described above, the Sharpie plugin seems to be one to get. Patrick makes some terrific conversions with it. I also used it in the image above.

As for B&W conversion I prefer to do it in Photoshop where I can use LAB colour or channels.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- white balance
- sharpening (if necessary)
- conversion

Those are mine, too ... and I REALLY miss a sharpening
after conversion ... that would render the last step, open
in PS ... apply output sharpening, useless ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
apply output sharpening, useless ...

Not really useless, Cobalt. I found out that doing a little sharpening on the full size on export and convert to web size without sharpening after, does a nice job at showing detail with a more organic look and less edge problems than sharpening after resize.

Which in fact makes sense, because you are applying sharpen to a much higher resolution image.
And of course, also sharpen, like any other digital editing operation, delivers higher quality when applied at higher resolutions.

Of course, if you have a curved shape in your photo, when you apply sharpening to it at say 4000 pixels size, you have, I don't know, 500 curved pixels to apply to, when you do it at web size, you have maybe 100 pixels of curve to play with.
This alone shows obviously that you are going to see more jagged edges on a sharpening after resize.
It's a simple resolution rule, a circle of 64 segments looks almost round to the eye, a circle of 7 segments looks like an eptagon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You misunderstood me, Orio ...

I meant that if Bibble would offer a decent output sharpening, too then this
would render my Photoshop useless (so I could do without it and do everything in Bibble).

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
You misunderstood me, Orio ...

Sorry Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt

try this link
http://nexi.com/software/paid/index.php?fun=free

and then on the Bibblelabs site, go to the forums. There is a forum or third party plugins with a lot of useful information and links

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

nice link - anything you would especially recommend of those?

I knew that they are quite some (I am reading the bibble forum, too)
but wanted to know, which plugins exactly are used/recommended
by MFL members.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I use the sharpie (very carefully, more pics a ruined by oversharpening or sharpening in the wrong way), ansel (very selective luminance adjustments using the Adams zone reference) and percy for easy and precise resizing.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: New video Reply with quote

Bibble just released a video from the NY Photo Show. Demonstrates some interesting goodies.

http://support.bibblelabs.com/webboard/viewtopic.php?t=11527

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very cool !!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
...ansel (very selective luminance adjustments using the Adams zone reference) and percy for easy and precise resizing...

Where do I find these two plug-ins?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks really cool!
I'm going to do a trial soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten

See my post above re: nexi software. It's a character named Sean Puckett who is a photographer mathematician and ace programmer. Has his own gallery so you can see he knows what he is doing

em me if you want any more info

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I couldn't find Ansel first, then I realised that they are not freebies.

I have found the freeware stuff, though. Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the freeware, the "pro" stuff is well worth the price, they typically offer more and finer controls.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still trying Bibble, do not find my way around in this prog yet. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I am still trying Bibble, do not find my way around in this prog yet. Sad

I really like it, but one thing I hate is the histogram/level window. Too small and too awkward to control. I hope that in version 5 they make it better.

Lightroom's interface surely is more professional; however, in my personal opinion, their interpretation of the colours of Canon cameras is way off.

All in all, I still prefer Breezebrowser for my conversions, because it's colour management is the same as Canon's. But I think I will buy Bible too, because even a perfect photographer like me Laughing Rolling Eyes (kidding!) every once in a while makes some problematic pictures, and Bibble offers more instruments to rescue them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have bought Bibble Pro. It does not support the 50D yet, but I just can't manage myself to like and use Lightroom.

Now I am wondering what to do about the plugins. Some I will buy for sure (like Sharpie), but there is a bundle option to buy all those that I like and save money... but you have to get them all at the same time... will see.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down to second box for pro plugins.
The big bundle is $129

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Scroll down to second box for pro plugins.
The big bundle is $129

Yes, I know... it contains all those that interest me.
But the idea of forking out another 130 $ immediately is a bit disturbing me. Confused

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten
It took me ages to get used to Bibble after PS. The plugins I bought as I went along - and he gives discounts as you buy in the form of "points" - buy three get one free.

Orio

I quite agree about the histogram and curves window and I also hope 5 will fix it. I also now do most of my adjustments in Ansel - having read and enjoyed his theory. This is a lot easier and more certain (less destructive) than trying to do it in the darkroom as he did! Sharpie Pro is hard to get hold of - takes time to work out what you should use and when, but I do like the results.

patrickh