Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using lens on bellows for outdoors photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Using lens on bellows for outdoors photography Reply with quote

So far I only used bellows for studio stuff.
Today, I mounted the Hektor on the bellows and took some outdoors shots, and I was pleasantly surprised by how flexible the system is!
Main advantages:

1- with a good quality bellows (I own two by Asahi Pentax which are fantastic), the focusing is MUCH more precise than ANY focusing ring could do;

2- you can move from the closest macro to infinity (and even beyond!) without any lens or accessory switching.

Not easy to find such flexibility!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and not only that, chicks dig bellows Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used bellows outdoors a lot, as I collect enlarger lenses and medium-large format lenses and use them mostly on bellows.

True on the flexibility, I'm not sure about the accuracy. My bellows are cheap brands though.

They can also look very cool. I've had no end of inquiries - "what kind of camera is that ?"

Problems with bellows in street and outdoor photography -

- Vulnerable. You have to protect them when extended, you can't just let them drop with the camera to hang at your side, unless you shorten to minimum.

- And then when something interesting comes around, you have to hurry to extend it again.

- Focusing is slower than a helical.

- They easily move and drift from focus, unless you lock them, and the lock can change focus. But as I said, mine are cheap bellows.

- On most of them the focus knob is on the right - the same as the shutter ! Which can make active focusing awkward.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

- They easily move and drift from focus, unless you lock them, and the lock can change focus. But as I said, mine are cheap bellows.

If you use them so much, you should "invest" (so to say) in a good one. Asahi are excellent and I paid I think something around 10 or 20 Euros... well worth it.

luisalegria wrote:
- On most of them the focus knob is on the right - the same as the shutter ! Which can make active focusing awkward.

With the Asahi, the focus is under the trail - so you can focus and support the bellows at the same time Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veijo make street photo bellows for many years
I am sure he convert many people with his beautiful website
http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three - nikon/nikon, nikon/M42 and M42/M42. Allows me extreme flexibility. I also use a focusing rail which allows very fine focusing as well. In addition I have an Accura focusing helicoid (M42) which allows me to play with my enlarging lenses. They all require a good tripod to work well.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first step toward using a view camera... be careful Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

Laughing Really? I didn't know that! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Nesster wrote:

Laughing Really? I didn't know that! Laughing

Maybe it's part of their innate interest for things that have the ability to extend longer than what they first look like. Razz

Last edited by Orio on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seldom use my PB-4 for anything but macro. I have a lot of enlarger lenses to play with and need to get out and try the Tilt/shift capability of the PB-4 on something other than bugs.

Great topic. I'm getting inspired to to try the pb-4 and a 135mm enlarger lens at the park next week.. With "live view" on the D90 for focus, this might be an interesting combination for some photographic entertainment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh