Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Isolette and Ilford
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Isolette and Ilford Reply with quote

Some shots taken in the same woods as these ones http://forum.mflenses.com/medium-format-autumn-t12057.html with an Isolette II with Solinar 75/3.5 lens on Ilford Delta 100 film.

Last edited by A G Photography on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alessandro, these are INCREDIBLY difficult conditions for photography. I think you pulled it off admirably though! Cool

The Solinar seems to have a resolvance that "cuts through" the HUGE dynamic range pretty nicely.

I know that I would simply have an insurmountable difficulty in making sense of the whole turbid detail here. But you have actually come away with decency in these invariably harsh conditions.

I would love to see more with the Isolette and Ilford in more "friendly" shooting conditions!

GREAT job, overall.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments Laurence but to be honest Solinar isn't just up to pro medium format lenses as the CZJ ones for Pentacon Six in the amount of details and overall sharpness.

Scanned at 3200 DPI the film is fuzzy, if shot with CZJ you can count the grass blades one by one.

The dynamic range is thanks to the Ilford Delta 100. Isn't the contrastiest B&W film around but it can capture because of it a large number of stops (I guess we're around 11-12) and you can recover contrast as you like in developement (or at scanning time as I don't want to make my bathroom a darkroom after haveing made half of my house a studio).

So nothing exceptional here, but foldings are so cute!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Solinar is a straightforward Tessar clone, and per se no worse than the CZJ medium format lenses. However, in the Isolette it is only front-focusing, which means that there is quite a performance drop anywhere except at one layer. Going by mine, Agfa seems to have designed them for maximum sharpness at typical distances for family shots and small group portraits (3-6m), and they are a bit less sharp at infinity and quite noticeably blurry at minimum distance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
The Solinar is a straightforward Tessar clone, and per se no worse than the CZJ medium format lenses. However, in the Isolette it is only front-focusing, which means that there is quite a performance drop anywhere except at one layer. Going by mine, Agfa seems to have designed them for maximum sharpness at typical distances for family shots and small group portraits (3-6m), and they are a bit less sharp at infinity and quite noticeably blurry at minimum distance.

While this is very true the Industar Tessar-clone of my Mockba 4 is far sharper at infinite. Maybe because communists didn't love the family as Agfa engineers LOL Very Happy Razz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots Alessandro!
nice shots Laurence!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nice shots Alessandro!
nice shots Laurence!

Thanks poilu! However, I removed my shots as I feel I might be highjacking the thread. Sorry about that... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alessandro, congratulations for those samples. The third one is perfect, I love it, the firsts one comes second in my list, and the third one is #2. A bit overexposed on the left side (to my taste) but I understand the lighting being so difficult, so you had to choice between a dark right side or that one. It's a fine shot anyway, I love the composition and the bokeh of the Solinar.

Good job, congratulations again, and thanks for sharing!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 2 and 3, excellent! Did you use an accessory rangefinder or
guesstimate the distance in #2?

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
poilu wrote:
nice shots Alessandro!
nice shots Laurence!

Thanks poilu! However, I removed my shots as I feel I might be highjacking the thread. Sorry about that... Smile

It wasn't necessary at all Laurence. I also loved those shots!

Katastrofo wrote:

I like 2 and 3, excellent! Did you use an accessory rangefinder or
guesstimate the distance in #2?

I used an accessory rangefinder but with those small distances focus was more an estimation (in between 3 and 4 yards... but more to 3 or to 4... etc! Very Happy)