Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40-2 85mm f/1.5 - Test!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Helios 40-2 85mm f/1.5 - Test! Reply with quote

One of some testes I did today with this amazing lens.

f/8

100% crop

Last edited by Lazzaros on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to test mine Very Happy

Great shot btw!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot. This is a real love/hate lens. Lots of character. Can blow you away when it's happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f/2.8 (soft focus but I like it)

f/4 (still soft but I missed the focus)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a dream lens! Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this was a top priority in my purchase list too.. Actually i bidded on a couple but could not win.. Heard nothing but good things about this lens here on the forum..

However, there is a lens test in photozone.. They usually test the hot AF stuff,but rarely they pick an oldie but goodie lens and test it for fun.. They tested the 40-2 there and the moral of the story is; Yes it can open up to f/1.5 but the IQ is next to "unusable" on the periphery until f/4.. So unless you are using the very center of the image "as in portrait photography", you have no benefit from its large aperture..

http://photozone.de/pentax/149-helios-40-2-85mm-f15-m42-to-pentax-review--test-report?start=1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are stupid really at photozone I think

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Oh my, i wasn't in the mood for laughing but i could not resist that one Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I must say they completely missed the point of this lens. The point of these older lenses that they aren't technically perfect; that they have quirks and fascinating characteristics that capture scenes in particular ways instead of a catch-all sterile, flat, and sharp way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - the character of the lens which can add or detract from the photograph(er).

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throndor wrote:
Yes it can open up to f/1.5 but the IQ is next to "unusable" on the periphery until f/4.. So unless you are using the very center of the image "as in portrait photography", you have no benefit from its large aperture..

http://photozone.de/pentax/149-helios-40-2-85mm-f15-m42-to-pentax-review--test-report?start=1

It's the most stupid thing I read in a while... how they can test sharpness at 1.5? Using a visual resolution target? The use of his lens is shown perfectly in the images above, central subject in 3d against a blurred background. One can like the bokeh or not, but if you want to have a full frame well sharp from corner to corner at 1.5 (mostly 2/2.8 though) you have to resort to expensive wide angles. I guess the photozone guy just do MTF tests but it never shooted a ****