Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Oyster run '08
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Oyster run '08 Reply with quote

I have had a lot of travel time the last couple days (read: idle time).
The laptop has been along for the ride so I started to put together the Oyster run series for '08
This first batch is of Bikes that I could get a clear shot at.
Some are pretty cool others more average. All have in common a clear view, Epson RD 1, and ZM biogon 2/35 shot at f5.6-f8.
A couple things I will keep in mind for future similar shoots.

An ND filter is a real deal tool with the Epsons RD1 200iso slowest sensitivity and 1/2000 fastest shutter .
A wider lens would be useful in a crowded area.
The FOV of the 35mm was often not wide enough.
When you back up to take a shot a human body would immediately fill the space Rolling Eyes

The Oyster run is our end of summer event here in tiny Anacortes. It has it's roots some 25-30 years ago when a couple of chaps from a Seattle Harley Davidson group came up to town to get a bushel of oysters for a party. The following year a few more joined the ride. So on and so forth for nearly 3 decades. Now the last weekend of September town shuts down as 10,000-30,000 bikes arrive. The numbers depends on weather. There are vendors selling everything from small leather accessories and cloths to Jesus bible camps for bikers and half naked girls to take your picture with on your own "HOG". Oysters used to be for sale on the half shell everywhere. That tradition (my favorite part really) has faded dramatically. It is for locals fun but sad also. It signifies the end of our lucrative and fun tourist season. For me it is a paradox sort of. Far too tame to be a party. Most of these folks have white collar jobs. It's fun but not fun enough to really get into it. Rolling Eyes

Here is part one: Bikes

Love the name of this one Twisted Evil

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm really impressed by the R-D1 + Biogon 35 and your talent of course. Smile

Looks like a really cool camera. How is focussing? Is it really that hard like others saying?

Great!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, excellent series, loved to see it - some very weird bikes there for sure!! - and I will not comment on the Biogon. Except that when I saw the second picture with it's 3D and bokeh, I started drooling Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys
Next was a lunch break for some Oysters (the very last order they had).
Just a couple shots here both with zuiko 2/28 and converted to B+W.
Yes there is motion and other issues but I like these so here we are Rolling Eyes
(pretty much a salvage job)

Cafe Adrift: will make your oyster moister (interpret that however you like)

Ms VFM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bike shots (I really love the light you managed to capture) but of course I prefer the last shot! Embarassed Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! such great bikes in one place! great series!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here is the next batch.
Kind of a mish-mash of the scenery.
There is a fun shot for you here Attila.
The guy with the big Sulfur Crested Cockie is a local.
His bird is with him all the time and loves the bike Shocked
5D and Z2/28 or R d1 and ZM 2/35
Z 2/28

ZM 2/35 I LIKE THIS HOMEMADE BIKE

ZM 2/35

ZM 2/35

ZM 2/35 These were being distributed but not well received

Z 2/28

Z 2/28 I had to PP a bunch to get this one. Doggy loves the bike. He sat on it for an hr before these two left the party.

Z 2/28

Z 2/28 We used to joke at work that FBI stood for Foul Breath Idiot. I guess there are other acronyms.

Z 2/28 Thats a lot of crown bottles Shocked

Z 2/28 TMF

Z 2/28

Z 2/28 A bit of flare shooting into the westering sun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Ms VFM shot...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Andy!!! Nice pcitures !! Millions of colours Smile and EPSON seems to be a nice camera and my FAV? Yes the VFM ... Smile

tf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, what an EXCELLENT series!! So lively !!
It feels really like having been there!!!

What should I add about the Zeisses that I haven't already said or known?
Terrific. The new Hollywood (I didn't know you had it!) is as crisp as it can get and the Biogon is round and deep.
Really, really dream lenses and yes I agree, the Epson is terrific.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I see McCain is under the tires Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Guys
I knew you would all love Miss thing.
She is a fun one to have around and she and Miss other thing are best friends.

@ Orio
Your words are too kind. I tried to really have my eyes everywhere but it can be difficult in such a big noisy scene.
The Z 2/28 I refer to is actually the Zuiko 2/28. It is however a fantastic lens probably the second best 2/28 behind the Hollywood. The lens also has a floating element design and is equally capable for this sort of reportage, close portraits, and landscapes.
Really a gem and oh so tiny.
I will likely wait to hear the reviews on the ZE 2/28 before making a move on a Hollywood.
It sounds like Zeiss made some moves to optimize the ZE line to Canon philosophy.
If that is true. I think I could try and get used to no aperture ring.
Trust In Zeiss. Zeiss is lens Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes McCain was under many tires Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

@ Orio
Your words are too kind. I tried to really have my eyes everywhere but it can be difficult in such a big noisy scene.
The Z 2/28 I refer to is actually the Zuiko 2/28. It is however a fantastic lens probably the second best 2/28 behind the Hollywood.

You fooled me totally. I was CONVINCED it was a Zeiss. I could see it was less round and deep than the Biogon... but sharper than my Hollywood... I attributed that to the change of design of the new Hollywood... but I did not think for a moment it couldn't be a Zeiss. Really amazing lens. It seems that now I have found a sample lens to represent ZUIKOS in my collection...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy

Speechless they are so good. Since moving to the West I have been to several Hog Herding events. Even with the white collar suits driving I find the average IQ in town drops by 50% at least for those hours. But there are always a few real characters waiting to be misunderstood Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple larger size taken with the Zuiko 2/28.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrickh!
Quote:
But there are always a few real characters waiting to be misunderstood

Well spoken I totally mis-misunderstand that Rolling Eyes Laughing