Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

National Zoo in Washington, DC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: National Zoo in Washington, DC Reply with quote

Kind of spur of the moment...... I went to the National Zoo today. First time there (except on a field trip in Elementary School).
Did not have the lenses that I really needed but I tried to make do. All shots with my trusty Nikkor 1.8/85mm (needed a 200mm for some of the shots).

Just so you know, it is free to get into the zoo, but it can cost up to $20 to get back out (parking)!

Got there right as the elephant demo was starting. This one used it's trunk and picked up a ring of keys (like your car keys)!

This guy was behind a glass enclosure (that I think was heated). This is what they do to cool off.

Grand Cayman Iguana. Really cool looking!

Beautiful lion! When I go back, I will probably spend a couple of hours at the big cat enclosures.

Best that I could manage of the Giant Panda.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnificent shots Michael. If you have to be stuck with just one lens, that 85/1.8 is pretty good! And you did make the most of it.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great captures! I can't pickup really my favorite, all are very nice ! Perhaps I love the first one best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: great shots Reply with quote

fantastic shots Michael , love the zoo.
In the process of negotiating a job with the local free range zoo ,running photography courses for beginners, 6 hours $1000 and i get to take photos lol love it.

Dave [/b]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the Iguana.

It looks like you could pick it up, real 3D effect going on there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great pictures but #2 #3 absolutely mindblowing!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, with a camera stopped and took photos of the Iguana. This was the only angle I could get that did not have a bad reflection or really dirty glass.

I was hurrying through, because once again I was supposed to be working (work is slow, so it did not hurt too bad today). I still spent nearly 3 hours there today. It is cool here now, in the 50-60 F range, so I knew the big cats would be out in the sun.

I have not had much free time at home, so it has been hard for me to do more than quickly browse the site. I was preparing for an aquatic photography workshop that I was doing at a small convention this past weekend. It went over really well, I was asked if I could give a presentation at several fish clubs, one in Wisconsin and one in Pennsylvania. Not bad for my first public speaking engagement Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also curious about your fish photos Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with my fish photos is, auto-focus Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh crap! I forgot to resize these to 900 wide Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones even if AF Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael

Those fish pics are terrific. If you need AF - so what. I use AF from time to time when the subjects are moving too fast for my old eyes to follow accurately Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb shots Mike! difficult to choice a favorite, they are all great

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ! The one with the iguana is my favourite Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots with a nice lens!
My favorites are the iguana and the lion.