Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there a distortion free 17-19mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Is there a distortion free 17-19mm? Reply with quote

We have Zuiko 21/3.5 so what else, anythng wider?

Here is a shot taken with Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM which is a 1450USD AF lens with a crazy distortion at 19mm. I guess this one is just for landscape shots or am I demending too much?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yalcinaydin/2934465432/sizes/l/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played with one, but i heard nothing but good opinions about the new tokina 11-16 2.8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

distortion are software correctable and pano soft can do marvel
check Tobs Tilt/Shift Experiment

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ptlens is one of the few pieces of software that i actually bought. highly recommended and quite cheap for what he does

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience is with the Tokina RMC 3.5/17. Barrel distortion is noticeable but PTLens works nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flek 4/20. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flek 4/20

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry bob955i, Attila
I don't agree

Flektogon 4.0/20 zebra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voytek, I am not sure that this is distortion. I'd rather say that's camera tilt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Voytek, I am not sure that this is distortion. I'd rather say that's camera tilt.

agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even on the original poster's picture, the distortion of the shape of the bowl containing the grape is due to the position of this item near the edge of the frame and its short distance to the camera. This is perspective exaggeration, not lens distortion. Even the best wide angle lens will turn your girfriend's face located near the edge of the frame into a strange egg shaped alien.

Cheers,

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

agreed.

Looking at the buildings in the 1st pic there is noticable distortion. The 2nd pic doesn't show it up as much but still visible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

agreed.

Looking at the buildings in the 1st pic there is noticable distortion. The 2nd pic doesn't show it up as much but still visible.

Again that depends on the camera position. The bulding at the right corner is much nearer than that on the left corner.

This type of pictures is not the type you can judge distortion upon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Even on the original poster's picture, the distortion of the shape of the bowl containing the grape is due to the position of this item near the edge of the frame and its short distance to the camera. This is perspective exaggeration, not lens distortion. Even the best wide angle lens will turn your girfriend's face located near the edge of the frame into a strange egg shaped alien.

Cheers,

Abbazz

Agreed - every UW will exhibit some 'smear' near the frame edges.

Orio wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

agreed.

Again that depends on the camera position. The bulding at the right corner is much nearer than that on the left corner.

This type of pictures is not the type you can judge distortion upon.

Agreed too - to see just how good the Flek is, shoot a brick wall straight on. You'll probably still see some degree of unavoidable edge smear but what you won't see is barrel distortion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered the Sigma 14mm f3.5 rectalinear?...Not much distortion here:

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5578/sdim3684crr7.jpg

For Pete's sake! Smile I've asked you three times not to post images over 900px wide. If you don't want your images changed to links then please observe this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Judged on this shot, it seems to be a more than decent lens!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Camera tilt can make straight lines go in different directions, but only distortion can make them curve. The horizontal fascia lines on the buildings in the first photo are clearly curved.

that Sigma is a piece of work though!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DSG"]Have you considered the Sigma 14mm f3.5 rectalinear?...Not much distortion here:
Shocked

Is this the one? --> Click here to see on Ebay