Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Food with Contax
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Food with Contax Reply with quote

I had to put in real use my new Contax 50/1.4 of course... Here it is in studio situation wide open:

Btw, the recipe is Veal Fricassea (Fricassea di Vitello, original recipe from Artusi).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here we have its wider brother, the Distagon 28/2.8 at f8:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allesandro --- nice!

tf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:

I told you about 2.8/28 - I think this lens will be in common use in your work Smile

That clarity is -- as you know -- I think perfect Smile

NICE !

tf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
A G Photography wrote:

I told you about 2.8/28 - I think this lens will be in common use in your work Smile

That clarity is -- as you know -- I think perfect Smile

NICE !

tf

Yep, mainly because it's a "normal" lens on the Oly e410. It's very nice but don't call me a heretic if I say that my preferred lens for that focal is still the Meyer Lydith 30/2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really?

I used to have a Lydith 2.8/30 --- sold it ---
I didn't find it as good as Dis 2.8/28 ---

but you know -- you are in field of food photography --- Smile

tf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look nice and clean!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasty, I prefer the second shot. How is the 50/1.4 stopped down a bit?

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
How is the 50/1.4 stopped down a bit?
patrickh

It's sharp, but not as sharp as a Nikkor or a Leica.
Those who buy the Planar 1.4/50 usually do it for other qualities, such as saturation and the so called "modellato" (the 3D, in other words).
I don't want to hijack Alessandro's thread, so here's just a link to another thread:
http://tinyurl.com/49u5xl
where you can see several pictures taken with the Planar 1.4/50 that I think show what you can expect from this lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio. I'll stick with my nikkor

Smile Smile Smile patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you can see a good comparison between various Nikkors (included the 1.4 S-Auto and AF) with the Contax 50/1.4: http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Nikkor_50_1,4_S_Auto/00_pag.htm

It's very pixel peeping but the Planar is a clearly better in center resolution with the borders about the same.

I still think that a lens should be choosen by its complessive rendering in the various situations, MTF and pixel peeping tests aren't all the game (most of the times they're the least important thing when one comes down to photographic results). We're not shooting aim targets.