Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A different way to "scan" slides
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: A different way to "scan" slides Reply with quote

How about this idea? A bit on the expensive side, but anyone with a slide projector and a DSLR could build their own. I'm going to try it! Smile

http://www.moviestuff.tv/slidestream.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit expensive compare with Poilu or Orio's equipment Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your camera has live view you're halfway there. Just a cheap slide projector required. I think it looks faily straightforward although you'd be limited to 35mm after all the effort.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
If your camera has live view you're halfway there. Just a cheap slide projector required. I think it looks faily straightforward although you'd be limited to 35mm after all the effort.

I dunno - live view would certainly make life easier, but once you've focussed and set the aperture it shouldn't be necessary to keep looking through the viewfinder. I have an old 6x6 projector too, thanks for the thought! Smile

I've worked out how to mount the camera against the projector but I still need to experiment with lenses and extension tubes or bellows. The only thing worrying me (assuming there's no problem framing the whole image) is whether the projector bulb will be too bright/hot Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the suggestion somebody gave me yestarday about using a flash to lighten the slide in the bellows, would give the same result, light-quality wise, that your setup gives. But I don't know if it's really worth all these efforts (the cord-attached flashlight, the slide projector setup...), because I duplicate using RAW, and setting up the correct white balance is very easy. So the problem of the light source is, in my opinion, not primary.