Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Optimal storage temperature for slides?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Optimal storage temperature for slides? Reply with quote

Please let me know what is optimal storage temperature for slides?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimal storage temperature for slides? Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Please let me know what is optimal storage temperature for slides?

Not so cold that they freeze, and not so hot that they melt. Laughing

I've stored mine at "room temperature" for YEARS with no ill-effects. Also be sure that they are in a dry, not too cold place, so that they don't grow fungus on 'em or warp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ! How about frozen films ? Is that silly ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three problems with (using) frozen film that I can think of:

1. The film would become brittle and break.
2. If you used a motor-driven camera (Nikon F3HP/MD4), there would be static-electricity on your film, which might give your photos a "feature" that you might not want.
3. If your film is frozen solid when you try to run it, it wouldn't come out of the cartridge and just rip the sprocket holes along the edges.

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you ! How about frozen films ? Is that silly ?

Not at all. I keep boxes of film in the freezer (where it will keep for years, long past its date) and only transfer a few rolls out to the fridge at a time. I then take the film I plan to use out of the fridge a day before I use it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because film is well packed , we don't have problem with humidity (ice) right ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Because film is well packed , we don't have problem with humidity (ice) right ?

No trouble at all. It's well sealed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ! This is a vital information for all film shooter I guess! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exposed and well fixed film requires no special temperature (as long as you avoid big hot)
You need to look more for two other things:

1- humidity (fungus)
2- light (fading)

the best place to store finished valuable slides is in a slide traybox (so there is air between slides and no contact), kept in a dry place (with silica gel) and in the total darkness.

If place is not so safe for humidity, better to take them out of box for some hours every now and then.

I have very old slides kept in the dark and colours were preserved very well.
Darkness is the key to preserve colours.
However slides can (and will) be attacked by fungus which also loves darkness, so you need to make sure that the air in the container is dry.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you too!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also store my slides in cribs that separate the slides for air flow. I simply keep the cribs in the closet with a packet of silica gel. I've never had problems.