Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax DISTAGON 3.5/15 C/Y -- any experience?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Contax DISTAGON 3.5/15 C/Y -- any experience? Reply with quote

HI there;;

Please, can some one specifiy the performance or capabilities or give some samples taken with this lens?

Is it good for architecture? Is it good for landscape?
What about DISTORTION?
Why is so expensive?

What about professional application...

ANY COMMENTS really appreciated....

thanks

tf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax DISTAGON 3.5/15 C/Y -- any experience? Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
HI there;;
Please, can some one specifiy the performance or capabilities or give some samples taken with this lens?

Here's two series I made with it:

http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/pcxs1-2007/index.html
www.oriofoto.net/temp/nevebw/index.html

Quote:
Is it good for architecture? Is it good for landscape?

It is good for everything, architecture, street photography, landscapes, even portraits.
If you look at my series above, you can see many shots with direct lights in and not a hint of flare, thanks to perfect coating.

Quote:
What about DISTORTION?

It is very well corrected, 2% in the edges

Quote:
Why is so expensive?

Is it really so expensive? there were two of them for sale at the last used camera fair I visited, both priced at 350 Euros.

Quote:
What about professional application...

I don't know, I'm just a photo dabbler.

Quote:
ANY COMMENTS really appreciated....

It is the lens that I love the most and the last one that I will ever sell.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

350 EUR is a gift price for this quality lens with this angle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
350 EUR is a gift price for this quality lens with this angle.

Yep, that's not expensive for a lens like that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trifox - many thanks for the question which prompted Orio to point to his galleries. WOW!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused .
TF are you asking about the 3.5/15 or 1.4/35?
The subject says 3.5/15 but you guys are discussing the 1.4/35 Confused

At EUR350 I would have taken either Very Happy

Beautiful series Orio. I remember this one well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I am confused .
TF are you asking about the 3.5/15 or 1.4/35?
The subject says 3.5/15 but you guys are discussing the 1.4/35 Confused

At EUR350 I would have taken either Very Happy

Beautiful series Orio. I remember this one well.

F16SUNSHINE -- yep, I am asking for 3.5/15 -- propably the widest lens for Contax/Yashica mount...

here is MTF
http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/Distagon3.5_15mm_e/$File/Distagon3.5_15mm_e.pdf

and here is an ebay auction -- out of my pocket at this moment Smile
http://cgi.ebay.com/Contax-C-Y-Zeiss-Distagon-15mm-f3-5-15-3-5-AEG-Germany_W0QQitemZ140268924536QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140268924536&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

one more thing - IT'S NON_FISH-EYE

thanks

tf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Sorry Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy - I thought I had a bit too much Bordeaux tonite...

But honestly, the C/Y 3.5/15mm is a famous lens and Zeiss chief designer Prof. Glatzel did a fantastic job. Funny to notice that my friend Marco Cavina found out that the Pentax SMC 3.5/15mm was also designed (and later re-designed) be him!! Leitz also used his design for their Super Elmar-R 3.5/15mm, which was later superseded by a 2.8/15mm which was not based on a Zeiss design.

So if you plan on using it with a Canon EOS, a Pentax SMC 3.5/15mm + PK mount adaptor is a much more affordeable solution at about $1000.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

But honestly, the C/Y 3.5/15mm is a famous lens and Zeiss chief designer Prof. Glatzel did a fantastic job. Funny to notice that my friend Marco Cavina found out that the Pentax SMC 3.5/15mm was also designed (and later re-designed) be him!! Leitz also used his design for their Super Elmar-R 3.5/15mm, which was later superseded by a 2.8/15mm which was not based on a Zeiss design.

So if you plan on using it with a Canon EOS, a Pentax SMC 3.5/15mm + PK mount adaptor is a much more affordeable solution at about $1000.

KLAUS many thanks!!! --

what main differcence can you see between these two lenses? Is it true that Pentax has an aspherical element and Distagon 15 doesn't?

So would you recommend Pentax for professional application?
Or save money for Distagon? I can not believe that Distagon has 0.15 m to infinity -- that must be a superb lens! Smile

cheers...

tf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Oops! Sorry Embarassed

no probs Orio Smile I think that Distagon 1.4/35 must a basic gear of professional photographer Smile

What do you think about Distagon 3.5/15? would you go for it? Smile

tf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
kds315* wrote:

KLAUS many thanks!!! --

what main differcence can you see between these two lenses? Is it true that Pentax has an aspherical element and Distagon 15 doesn't?

So would you recommend Pentax for professional application?
Or save money for Distagon? I can not believe that Distagon has 0.15 m to infinity -- that must be a superb lens! Smile

cheers...

tf

The first Pentax version was an aspherical design, later modified into a pure spherical version, sayed to be even better...

As a "Zeiss afficionado" I personally would go for the Contax version of course, but I have the Pentax SMC non-aspherical and I tested it against the new Canon 10-22mm and the result is excellent in favour of the Pentax! The Pentax can be had for EUR600 or so but the Zeiss is about EUR1000 MORE....

Did you see that here: http://forum.mflenses.com/fs-pentax-smc-3-5-15mm-wide-angle-t10876.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As a "Zeiss afficionado" I personally would go for the Contax version of course, .....................the Zeiss is about EUR1000 MORE....

AAARRRGGH the same problem again -- money and value !! Smile

thanks!

tf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
Quote:
As a "Zeiss afficionado" I personally would go for the Contax version of course, .....................the Zeiss is about EUR1000 MORE....

thanks!

tf

But I doubt that the performance difference is worth that amount!!

Last edited by kds315* on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

What do you think about Distagon 3.5/15? would you go for it? Smile
tf

I would love one but I can not afford it. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
trifox wrote:
Quote:

thanks!

tf

That sounds great !!!! --
but why would you prefer Distagon 15 rather than Pentax then? Smile

only for CZ patriotism? Smile Smile
thanks...

tf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
kds315* wrote:
trifox wrote:
Quote:

thanks!

tf

That sounds great !!!! --
but why would you prefer Distagon 15 rather than Pentax then? Smile

only for CZ patriotism? Smile Smile
thanks...

tf

Just because I would like to complete my collection and I don't have to insult my camera using Pentax glass since she is used to ZEISS ... BIGGRIN

But without kidding, ZEISS is GREAT glass, no question and acutance is simply the best you can get; but is has its price and the ZEISS tag adds some $$$$ to it, unfortunately (same with Leitz/LEICA) - quite a bit is emotions rather than measurable facts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for it ---
even if it would take me a long time Smile

tf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with any Zeiss lenses, not many manufacturer produce so stable quality on their each lenses. Higher price generally means rare lens, quality is always superb.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go for it - I had the chance of a NIB Distagon 21 but dithered because of the price and eventually lost out.

I never dither, but I did that time.

It won't happen again. Mad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Will i ever cease to be amazed by your experience Klaus. You are the Gandalf of lenses..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throndor wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Will i ever cease to be amazed by your experience Klaus. You are the Gandalf of lenses..

yes I agree - Klaus has got a great knowledge !!! Seriously ..

tf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are lucky really with Klaus that for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throndor wrote:
kds315* wrote:

....if you do "lens hunting" as a hobby for many years, you automatically accumulate quite some knowledge, I guess - but honestly it is great fun for me!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found something interesting from Dario Bonazza, italian Pentax "guru":
<<quote>>
At 1972 edition of Photokina a couple of ultra-wide-angle lenses were introduced contemporarily by both Carl Zeiss and Asahi Optical Co: the HFT Distagon f/3.5 15mm in Rollei bayonet mount for Rolleiflex SL35 and the SMC Takumar f/3.5 15mm in Pentax M42 screw-in mount. Both lenses featured 12-group 13-element construction and a minimum focusing distance of 0.3m. The Carl Zeiss lens followed the unlucky fate of Rollei cameras and was discontinued soon after to be resumed a few years later for the Contax RTS as the Carl Zeiss Distagon f/3.5 15mm, then it was also added to the Leica SLR outfit as the Leitz Super- Elmar-R. This late Zeiss design has the minimum focusing distance reduced to 0.16m. The SMC Takumar was not on sale immediatly and was available only from 1974 edition of Photokina on. Its price in Japan was one-third that of the Distagon and half that of the existing Nikkor f/5.6 15mm, while in Italy difference was even greater. Although of very sturdy construction it was much lighter than its competitors. It was and it is a superb lens of retro-focus design, thus allowing normal swing-up operation of the mirror. Its sophisticated design featuring an aspherical glass element (darker lens in the diagram left) corrects perfectly both distortion and coma. The distortion-free super-wide-angle field allows shooting indoors, architecture, exaggeration of perspective for creative shots, special effects and scientific photography. In 1975 with the introduction of the K series cameras it became the SMC Pentax f/3.5 15mm, then in 1984 following the development of Pentax cameras it offered shutter priority and program operation, becoming the SMC Pentax-A f/3.5 15mm lens, still on Pentax price list today. The major difference between Zeiss and Asahi designs is the German lens doesn't feature an aspherical element as the Japanese does: does this mean the SMC Takumar or Pentax beats the Distagon? Who knows? A comparative test should be necessary to state this; for certain this ultra-wide-angle from AOC is a really excellent performer, being in awe of no competitor. Framing the world via the SMC Takumar or Pentax 15mm is an experience very different from a fish-eye: you'll be amazed by those perfectly straight lines - at edges too - at first glance, then you'll realize it is one of the few true masterpieces in optics and you'll fall in love with this marvel, it happened to me. If you need or like ultra-wide-angle perspective look for this lens in the secondhand market, it's really worth its price and you'll never repent.
<<unquote>>