Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Holding my first MF, at last..
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Holding my first MF, at last.. Reply with quote

When it comes to vintage lenses, TURKEY is the last place to look for it.. Close to -non- on the local bidding sites, and very overpriced if there is any.. So i bidded at e-bay.. Won a couple of lenses, and they are on their way..

But, two days ago i was peeking at the antiques section on a local site and there i saw it. An old practica camera with a lens written "pancolar 50/1.8" on it.. Contacted the seller.. He had no in depth knowledge on cameras..I am sure he would sell the camera for a much higher price if he could see "Carl Zeiss" written on the lens, but did not know what an "aus jena" is..Told me that the item is in good condition.. I ordered it immediately.. Paid 40$ for shipping,Practica MTL2 cam,49mm UV filter and the Pancolar (maybe not a very good price where you stand, but its hell of a deal here) .. It arrived today.. Mint condition Aus Jena Pancolar 50/1.8..

I will post images ASAP.. I don't think its a SMC version.. Aluminium color body with kinda zebra rings..

Any idea on this lens?

EDIT : Found the lens on gallery.. it seems pretty mediocre ..

EDIT : Found the posts where people atilla describes it as a good one..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too bought a few lenses in a row! Very few are good (found out later) and the good one is EXAKTA mount... so... I had to order an EXAKTA/EOS adapter.

Rather expensive adventure i had.

I really hope you get more lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you said, it's made in east germany (C Z Jena). It's a not MC version (all black, your's zebra version).

It's OK lenses, for me one of the best 50 mm (I like it more than the C Zeiss planar for contax).

You have an excelent lens.

Enjoy.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, 40$ for a MTL and a 1.8 50 Pancolar is not too much - in my opinion.

I like it, it's not that overpriced, fast enough and comes with a nice saturation and bokeh.

Sample picture was at f1.8 on my 40D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I like it more than the C Zeiss planar for contax)

Indeed, I do still fight with myself, which one is better. The pancolor is much more powerfull in colors and saturation. The Planar 1.8 50 looks - compared to the pancolar - always desaturated, understated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson wrote:
Congratulations, 40$ for a MTL and a 1.8 50 Pancolar is not too much - in my opinion.

I like it, it's not that overpriced, fast enough and comes with a nice saturation and bokeh.

Sample picture was at f1.8 on my 40D

Very satistactory IQ.. thanx.. I will shoot some photos and compare it with my smc-fa 50/1.4 to see where the aus jena shines compared to the smc..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$40 sounds like a fine price. for a working camera nd lens of this caliber. It is hard to imagine a better price without getting lucky.
I hope to see some images soon Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider that an pretty incredible price! Pancolars are very well-known and their over $100 dollar price tag is a reflection of that. I rarely see a pancolar sneak through the watchful eye of fellow ebayers. Plus you have the more desirable "aus jena" version - you'll find a post authored by Orio with some additional information concerning those lenses. You can probably get a decent return on the camera if you don't want it. Good luck with it!

~Marc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barata wrote:
I too bought a few lenses in a row! Very few are good (found out later) and the good one is EXAKTA mount... so... I had to order an EXAKTA/EOS adapter.

Rather expensive adventure i had.

I really hope you get more lucky.

Barata, I wouldn't like to discourage you, but the obly Exakta to EOS adapters I know of are not very strong and not always you can get to focus to infinity... I paid 70€ for one some month ago, and I received a thin piece of aluminium that makes me suffer at any time I put a lens on it...

Maybe it would have been better to try to sell your lens and look for a Pancolar on M42 mount...

Anyway, the Pancolar is the only lens that focus properly to infinity with such an adapter on my EOS 350D.

Good luck!.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson wrote:
Quote:
(I like it more than the C Zeiss planar for contax)

Indeed, I do still fight with myself, which one is better. The pancolor is much more powerfull in colors and saturation. The Planar 1.8 50 looks - compared to the pancolar - always desaturated, understated.

Carlsson, probably you mean the CZJ Planar 50mm 1.7 (not 1.Cool.
It's a wonderful lens, although mounted on the digital reflex, trends to overexpose, so you have to compensate it. On overcast days is difficult to beat, although the Pancolar, as you said, works better than the Planar on bright sunny days.

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a zebra pancolar on ebay for $31 (plus $9 shipping). it is described as having some fungus and i could see some in the pics. but fungus comes off easy with dishwashing liquid Smile

and it won't affect the images either, i have an excellent S-M-C Takumar 200/4 with more (but not huge amounts of) fungus inside and has no effect i can see on IQ.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omer,
you've bought it for a very nice price as I had some attempts but all of them ended over 70USD (exc. shipping). You can check out GG as there is a Yashica 50/1.5 for 89YTL (70USD) and I guess it is a fair price for Turkey market but you will need an additional Contax/Yashica adapter for it. But for me it is best using ebay and looking for bargains Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens, not mediocre! Evil or Very Mad Laughing You got a great deal! If it came on a MTL2 cam then yours is the M42 version, so no mounting problems.

CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50 was the most expensive option of the three kit lenses offered with Praktica cameras in the 60s, the others being the CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 and Meyer-Optik Domiplan 2.8/50

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50 was the most expensive option of the three kit lenses offered with Praktica cameras in the 60s, the others being the CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 and Meyer-Optik Domiplan 2.8/50

I really enjoy this kind of historical info.. thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When did the Orestons and later branded Pentacons come to be used?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

When did the Orestons and later branded Pentacons come to be used?

The information above came from the manual and sales brochure of my Nova 1B from 1967 and the Oreston made from 1960-1970 isn't mentioned, even though Meyer was incorporated into VEB Pentacon in 1964. I'm guessing Meyer carried on making their own lens designs for some time after the merger. The Pentacon-branded 1.8/50 started production in 1971.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the Pancolar! I also just acquired one and tried it out yesterday. Here are my results:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,92358.html#92358