Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Whats the best macro m42 for budget?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Whats the best macro m42 for budget? Reply with quote

Whats the best macro m42 for about 100-150$?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I replied already but my reply does not appear Confused

Anyway it's Volna-9 for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I think I replied already but my reply does not appear Confused

I've looked at a dozen of photos taken with it after i read your post.. Kinda unappealing to my eyes.. And i am not fond of its bokeh either...

But i guess its a subjective thing.. Or maybe i want too much out of a budget Macro.. With my limited experience i have decided that, especially in macro photography, the lenses talk the talk and walk the walk..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$100-$150? Than you can afford S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 or (e)MC Pancolar 50/1.8 plus a set of extension rings Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
$100-$150? Than you can afford S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 or (e)MC Pancolar 50/1.8 plus a set of extension rings Smile

I have the more recent FA version of the takumar (pentax).. Maybe I should try that with etension rings if will have enough IQ..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two shots taken with S-M-C and some rings:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro lenses are top quality lenses hard to find any bad one. On budget level all of them more less same.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/top_lenses/macro/

Here Takumar is M42 and you can get also Tamron, Vivitar, Kiron with this mount-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I very much agree to Orio!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one and only macro you will not find. It´s depending on what you want to do with it. A tele-macro has other capabilities than a macro with 28mm.

Are your objects flowers or should them be restless insects? What kind of bokeh do you prefer? Do you want to take your pics freehand or are you using a tripod?

You see, there are so many questions about, that it is not easy to give "the answer" at all. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Here are two shots taken with S-M-C and some rings:

its "wow" to my eyes.. definately nice to see what can be done with the rings..

OlyD_MF wrote:
Are your objects flowers or should them be restless insects? What kind of bokeh do you prefer? Do you want to take your pics freehand or are you using a tripod?

You see, there are so many questions about, that it is not easy to give "the answer" at all.

Well, restless insects, creamy-obliterated bokeh, best handheld but can live with a tripod... So "the answer" ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the best macro m42 for budget? Reply with quote

Throndor wrote:
Whats the best macro m42 for about 100-150$?

SMC-Takumar Macro 100/4. A great lens with superb bokeh (it's a classic Heliar type) which sells usually for around $100.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz, thanks, I'll be looking for this one for my *istD! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, just make sure you don't get the 100/4 bellows lens, which has no focusing helicoid and therefore has to be used with a bellows. Except if you want to experiment with tilt, shift and other funny things, that is...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my pictures here

http://forum.mflenses.com/caterpillars-macro-t8705.html#73052

The lens is for sale here

http://forum.mflenses.com/60-300mm-tamron-sp-for-sale-t10670.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also suggest the SMC-Takumar Macro 100/4, a superb lens and not too expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, mayb u shud try the vivitar series 1 90mm 2.5 for a bit more dough, u will get stuck with this lens, seriously... i almost ditch this lens without tryin it b4, and now it almost stuck 90% of time in front of my old 1ds...thats make my 180mm macro L collecting dust for quite sometimes...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rekaminda wrote:
hi, mayb u shud try the vivitar series 1 90mm 2.5 for a bit more dough, u will get stuck with this lens, seriously... i almost ditch this lens without tryin it b4, and now it almost stuck 90% of time in front of my old 1ds...thats make my 180mm macro L collecting dust for quite sometimes...

Is it true that it can not be used for portrait without the adapter?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you think about the Kiron 105/2.8?

a good example for DOF, i think...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Throndor

It cannot be used for portrait WITH the adapter

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
@Throndor

It cannot be used for portrait WITH the adapter

patrickh

Ah Smile.. sure.. thats what i meant.. ok thanx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlyD_MF wrote:

a good example for DOF, i think...

king of macros

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

how many versions of that lens are there? I have been told the Lester A. Dine version is the best, followed by the Viv Series 1 but they should all be the same no?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at a couple of macro shots on Photosig, mostly the ones with 100/2.8 by canon, i have lost my ability to be impressed..the bar is way up high..

I'm sure the KIRON is a masterpiece but it lacks that "WOW, THAT IS ONE NASTY INSECT" factor.. I mean you could tell the difference between two firebugs one of which hasn't been shaved for 2 days and the other for 3...

Maybe that has a lot more to do with the photographer but to my untrained eyes, its just the lens..

I mean look.. http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1331165&forward=browse.. And this is just an unspecial example .. how about this (well, this is special) http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1566744&forward=browse

I am totally aware that these require some money thrown on the lens..But is there any way i can get even close with an old MF..

And I totally do not mean to do unjustice to the good old MFs.. My room is gonna be filled with at least 5 or 6 of them in a couple of weeks.. I love them the way they are.. But i wanna know how good they can be..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throndor wrote:
I am totally aware that these require some money thrown on the lens..But is there any way i can get even close with an old MF..

I cannot see the photosig samples as I am not member
One thing you have to know is the difference flash can make
Details look incredible but have nothing to do with reality
If you take your portrait with a flash you will see skin details that are not there if you look yourself in the mirror.
It is the difference between 'want to impress' and 'the way it is'
anyway to compare 2 lens, it should be done in same lightning condition

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

king of macros

Thanks a lot, but I´m so far away....