Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

old town Rhodes - digital & film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: old town Rhodes - digital & film Reply with quote

digital with tokina 12-24 on 40D
film distagon 28 on contax 167, fuji z200
please comment your preferences
it is funny; with the jpg conversion, most color difference have disappear !

film

digital

100% crop film-digital

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its no supprise to me that the digital shots are sharper than film but I was supprised at the colour differences. (The sky in the film shot is a much nicer blue than the sky in the digital shot.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long life to film, Poilu!
Nice shots. I've never been at Rhodes...
Is it where the Colossus was?. Are there any traces of it?

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 40D on bellows to scan the negative
Here is the result I get from the labo Kodak on CD

Last edited by poilu on Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes wrote:
Is it where the Colossus was?. Are there any traces of it?

Hi Jes! We are still looking for it Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally prefer the colours in the digital shot because the neutral tones (whites, greys) are kept neutral while in the film shot, they take on a blueish cast, which is a bit displeasing to me on the stone floor.

Detail-wise I don't notice much differences, except the digital is cleaner (less noise) so in the film picture, the noise goes against the perception of clarity. But looking at the amount of detail in the busier areas, I would say that resolution-wise, the two media seem very close.
In other words it seems to me that digital puts its head ahead, mostly because of the signal-to-noise ratio, and not really because of a difference in the resolving power.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited the files of Kodak
with a simple auto color, results are much better!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
I edited the files of Kodak
with a simple auto color, results are much better!

Yes, of course, it's easy to adjust.
I just made my comparison on the two images you presented, "as they are".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look to the yellow wall on the background, you can see some grain.
On a print, the brain transform this grain to texture
The clean digital is perceived as without texture, everything is like 'plastic'
Skins, stones, clothes, everything look made in plastic
A print is viewed from a distance and the grain is not so apparent
This is the theory I learned from a photographer
but now we are used to 'plastic' and we found it more natural

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

Well, this of course enters the realm of the aesthetical, and so it's subjective.
I can agree with your photographer that grain sometimes gives a more pleasing character to some subjects.
However, in my personal opinion, the texture statement is disputable. Take for instance the yellow wall: to my eyes, the yellow wall looks more realistic without the grain of the film; in the digital image, it feels to me like the smooth paint over a stucco wall - which it actually is. In the film image, instead, I think that the grain kills the original texture completely. It doesn't look like a smooth stucco wall anymore. It replaces it with an undetermined "gritty texture" that has nothing to do with the reality of that wall anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
the yellow wall looks more realistic without the grain of the film

most believe the same and now manufacturer create film without grain
when old photographer see the new film, they say that the results look digital -> plastic
exactly like the distortions in vinyl that few still prefer
but we cannot stop evolution...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there could be room for both, film and digital. Also with a single photographer, one may prefer film for some things and digital for others.
I think it's great that we can choose Smile
So currently it's important to support film, because if we support film, we will have a choice also in the future,.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So currently it's important to support film, because if we support film, we will have a choice also in the future.

I started film cameras section above reason in mflenses.com gallery. We are in 24th hours to safe this technology, seems lenses are fine people started to respect them. Next huge todo to save film.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

At first I thought it was detail, but I looked closely at the crops and could see it was grain.

From the 2 original photos you posted, I liked the digital version better.

The lab did not do a good job with their scans, the white of the awning is blown out and over all the sharpness is not strong. Someone did a quick scan and burned it to CD.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And at the end of the day that is one of the major obstacles to film - there are too many processing transforms with the chance of error at each turn. And remember - an error at the very first stage in the development of the negative and all is lost. At least with digital there is often a chance and there will be more as soon as the camera producers can reach some point of agreement and the technology of the chips settles down. Much as I used to love film I fear we are entering the time when it becomes like vinyl - an expensive hobby for the afficionados. Sad Sad Sad

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the style of your photography poilu! Thank you for showing some of the differences between the two kinds of shooting!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice comparison! I think film still holds good against digital. We should not forget that we do not see film pics here, but only digitalized versions of film pics. There is always one step more, and as you can clearly see in the lab scan, there can be much impact on the quality. Even with good scanners there will be an influence in quality.
Computers allow us to look at pictures in 400%crops and bigger and see things we never saw before. In those old days you would have needed a microscope to look that close.
For me the biggest difference is in the way I work with film. Digital hundreds of shots can be taken in an hour or two. With film, I tend to be more careful, think twice before shooting, and my percentage of decent pics is a bit higher hopefully....

Gerd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi poilu !!! Smile

nice pictures !

keep doing your film and digital comparison, please...

Its superb for me!

I'll give you this back in the nearest future Smile promise ..

I like more the film shot --- although the digital has smoother rendering...

Quote:
Much as I used to love film I fear we are entering the time when it becomes like vinyl - an expensive hobby for the afficionados.

hello patrickh

yes I agree --

digital can save a lot of money before you get a good result.
Moreover the digital allows to take pics in extremely bad light conditions and has to many features which film does not Smile
i.e. --- the ISO on the film is NOT adjustable Smile

We know all these aspects -- but expensive hobby? Smile

All you need to do is to shoot less and think more Smile
Digital and film camera can become a great combo to take pics in vary situations..
some scenes on digital, some pics (usually fine works in good light conditions) on film - and that's it Smile

thanks

tf

Last edited by trifox on Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes convert digital shots in B&W but they're none close to real B&W film. This is an area where film still holds its ground in my opinion.

I also partially agree with poilu about the "plasticky" look of some digital shots, that cannot be amended. Using very fine grained film (like Velvia 50, too bad there's no Ektachrome 25 anymore) you can reduce grain a lot, using medium format film grain is the last of your problems as you can see in my 100% crop of Venice on film. And film has a great advantage of milder shoulders while on digital when you blow some highlights out they're unrecoverable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alessandro - seen your pics of venice --

that is a good example..

tf