Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best M42 lenses(?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Best M42 lenses(?) Reply with quote

Stupid name for a thread, I know... but I miss this kind of list.

This is my opinion, I'd be happy, if anybody share his experience so I could append it to the list Smile

fish eye
  • Pelang 8/3.5 fish eye (thx2 DSG)
  • Zenitar 16/2.8 fish eye (thx2 DSG)

14-19mm (rectalinear (non-fish eye) ultra wide-angle)
  • Tokina 17/3.5 TL (thx2 DSG)

20mm (extreme wide-angle)
  • CZJ Flektogon 20/4 (for architecture - lower distorsion)
  • CZJ MC Flektogon 20/2.8 (for nature - sharper)

24-25mm (ultra wide-angle)
  1. Zeiss Distagon T* 25/2.8 ZS
  2. CZJ Flektogon 25/4

28-29mm (super wide-angle)
  • ???
  • Vivitar MC 28/2.8 /Komine/
  • Vivitar VMC Series 1 28/1.9 /Tokina/

35mm (wide-angle)
  • Zeiss Distagon T* 35/2 ZS
  • CZJ MC Flektogon 35/2.4
  • Vivitar 35/1.9 /Komine/
  • Asahi S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5
  • Asahi Super-Takumar 35/2 PRO

50-60mm (standard)
  • Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4 ZS
  • Asahi S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4
  • CZJ MC Pancolar 50/1.8
  • Tomioka MC 55/1.4
  • Pentacon MC 50/1.8 (thx2 DSG)

70-90mm (portrait / short tele)
  • CZJ Pancolar 80/1.8 (universal)
  • CZJ Biotar T 75/1.5
  • KMZ Helios 40-2 85/1.5 (portrait)

100-150mm (medium tele)
  • CZJ MC Sonnar 135/3.5
  • Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar Macro (thx2 rayatphonix)

100-150mm (medium tele)
  • CZJ MC Sonnar 180/2.8 (thx2 DSG)

Last edited by no-X on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:37 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: A few more... Reply with quote

How about the Oly 28mm f 2.0? My favorite 28mm lens.

On the long end, Voigtlander 125mm macro. Possibly my favorite lens of any focal length.

In between, the Helios-40 85mm f 1.5. Nothing else like it (although to some that's a good thing).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO-X

And what happen if you must choose only one Flekt 20mm. F/2,8 or F/4?

Is the F/2,8 as good for arch as the F/4 and the F/4 as good for nature

as the F/2,8?. The answer is NO, endeed.

But in the compromise I prefer less sharpness and NOT distortion.

For my taste, the choose is the F/4 flekt

Rino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayatphonix: Do you mean M42 version of Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar Macro? As for the 28/2, I can't find any info about M42 version. Could you post any link or picture of this lens? Thanks!

estudleon: Each user can have different preferrences and that's why I mentioned both of them and didn't rank them numericaly. But I appreciate your opinion and I'm moving the 20/4 up Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Best M42 lenses(?) Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Stupid name for a thread, I know... but I miss this kind of list.

This is my opinion, I'd be happy, if anybody share his experience so I could append it to the list Smile

fish eye
  • Pelang 8/3.5 fish eye

• Zenitar 16/2.8 fish eye

14-19mm (rectalinear (non-fish eye) ultra wide-angle)
  • Tokina 17/3.5 TL

20mm (extreme wide-angle)
  • CZJ Flektogon 20/4 (for architecture - lower distorsion)
  • CZJ MC Flektogon 20/2.8 (for nature - sharper)

24-25mm (ultra wide-angle)
  1. Zeiss Distagon T* 25/2.8 ZS
  2. CZJ Flektogon 25/4

28-29mm (super wide-angle)
  • ???
  • Vivitar MC 28/2.8 /Komine/
  • Vivitar VMC Series 1 28/1.9 /Tokina/

35mm (wide-angle)
  • Zeiss Distagon T* 35/2 ZS
  • CZJ MC Flektogon 35/2.4
  • Vivitar 35/1.9 /Komine/
  • Asahi S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5
  • Asahi Super-Takumar 35/2 PRO

50-60mm (standard)
  • Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4 ZS
  • Asahi S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4
  • CZJ MC Pancolar 50/1.8
  • Tomioka MC 55/1.4
  • Pentacon 50mm f1.8

70-90mm (portrait / short tele)
  • CZJ Pancolar 80/1.8
  • CZJ Biotar T 75/1.5
  • Helios 40-2 85/1.5

100-150mm (medium tele)
  • CZJ MC Sonnar 135/3.5
  • Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar Macro (thx2 rayatphonix)

160-300mm (telephoto)
  • CZJ MC Sonnar 180/2.8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
# Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4 ZS
# Asahi S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4

why do you always put the zeiss glass on top of the pentax glass? the takumar 50 1.4 is one of the best (though not the sharpest) 50mm pentax ever made. granted a lot of lenses are built on older zeiss designs but is the zeiss that much better than the pentax? lets us not forget that pentax worked closely with zeiss quite often during the takumar days as well as the early K days. I don't know, I think a lot of people (im not insinuating anything here) think of the zeiss glass as better simply because of the zeiss name and it bothers me to some degree that it puts the pentax glass as second rate to another brand when performance wise that might simply not be true. this would hold true for any lens, im not trying to be a pentax 'fanboy' here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most of my Asahi lenses more than Zeiss lenses. The order doesn't mean quality (unless I marked them by ordinal numbers). I don't have Planar, I only own S-M-C, Pancolar and Tomioka and I consider S-M-C the best (bokeh, coating, extreme built quality... even the most well-worned Takumar I have ever tried, was mechanically superior to my "mintest" CZJ)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The taste of each one is, endeed, a personal question. For somebody the SMC has a better bokeh, well, for others ( like me) the pancolar has the better bokeh. And It's OK for each one, isn't it?

I can say that if you need more DOF, the pancolar is usefull than the SMC because at F/8 and F/11 the panky is sharpest than the SMC - and for my experience, it's right.

And If you need use a F/2,8 or F/4, the SMC is the winner.

But both are usefull in overall cases and greats lenses, each choose your winner. I choose the Panky

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rino on this. I also think you will find that we have several threads like this one and they are all fun and informative. As you look at the pictures posted here and on other fora it becomes very clear that people all develop their own styles and much of that can be driven by the character of the lenses they own. Not all of us can afford Zeiss/Leica/Hassie etc. We have many contributors here who have the best value lenses out there and do incredible things with them. This thread is part of the fabric of what this forum is about - to display what older MF lenses can do, so that they can be treasured (not necessarily valued) for their often unique qualities.

Sermon over Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Séamuis"]
Quote:
# Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4 ZS
# Asahi S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4

why do you always put the zeiss glass on top of the pentax glass?

Because Carl Zeiss make better lenses than Pentax...Not just optically but mechanically too. Wink

Séamuis wrote:

the takumar 50 1.4 is one of the best (though not the sharpest) 50mm pentax ever made.

Perhaps, but its also the softest lens in the world when WO...Well, at least my one was Very Happy

Séamuis wrote:

granted a lot of lenses are built on older zeiss designs but is the zeiss that much better than the pentax?

Yes...I once had a SMC 50/1.7 literally fall apart in my hands, before I could even use it!!!...That would NEVER happen with a Zeiss...Not even with a CZJ!

Séamuis wrote:

lets us not forget that pentax worked closely with zeiss quite often during the takumar days as well as the early K days. I don't know, I think a lot of people (im not insinuating anything here) think of the zeiss glass as better simply because of the zeiss name and it bothers me to some degree that it puts the pentax glass as second rate to another brand when performance wise that might simply not be true.

Its not just the name...The minute you try Zeiss, nothing else is as nice!
Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="patrickh"]I agree with Rino on this. I also think you will find that we have several threads like this one and they are all fun and informative. As you look at the pictures posted here and on other fora it becomes very clear that people all develop their own styles and much of that can be driven by the character of the lenses they own. Not all of us can afford Zeiss/Leica/Hassie etc. We have many contributors here who have the best value lenses out there and do incredible things with them. This thread is part of the fabric of what this forum is about - to display what older MF lenses can do, so that they can be treasured (not necessarily valued) for their often unique qualities.

Sermon over Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

patrickh[/quote]

Yes Patrickh.

Each member look for his own interest. For ones, it's a game and the lenses are like toys, and try one, two.......millars. For others who want to shows yours pics, the lenses are the medium to take pics, not toys. Anothers look for both, play and photography. Others.......

Then, the lenses will be differents things for each one and the comportment of each one will be relationed with the interes that may have.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=DSG]Its not just the name...The minute you try Zeiss, nothing else is as nice! [/quote]

Opinion always changing at least for me what is the best lenses.
After first AF lenses (Nikon, Olympus kit lenses+Sigma 70-300mm APO DG)
any old lenses was incredible good one, even if their price was only 10-20 EUR.

Now is different... when I able to use high class lenses like Zeiss 35mm f1.4 , Zeiss 135mm f2 , Zeiss 2.8/180mm now I know what does it mean ZEISS and lenses. I have many Takumar lenses none of them reach Zeiss quality , this not means they are not good lenses, it means Zeiss made one of the best lenses on the planet.

I strongly suggested what DSG said try once a lens from Carl Zeiss and look. if you think Carl Zeiss Jena is not better try some Contax lens !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Because Carl Zeiss make better lenses than Pentax...Not just optically but mechanically too. Wink

I tested about 10-15 50/1.4 Takumars and each of them was in perfect mechanical condition. My friend resells CZJ lenses and about 1/3 of them have stiff focusing or problems with diaphragm (quite typical problem is diaphragm working only in horizontal position - when you direct the camera up a bit, the blades don't respond...).

DSG wrote:
the takumar 50 1.4 is one of the best (though not the sharpest) 50mm pentax ever made.

At least all f/1.4 Tomiokas (about four Revuenons, DS-M Yashinon, Yashinon 55/1.2, Porst MC and Cosina MC) I have ever tried, were softer than 50/1.4 Takumars.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="no-X"] My friend resells CZJ lenses and about 1/3 of them have stiff focusing or problems with diaphragm (quite typical problem is diaphragm working only in horizontal position - when you direct the camera up a bit, the blades don't respond...).[/quote]

Yes, I have a flek 35/2,4 with this prolems, lens to down and the blades closed to F/8 no more.

Have solution????

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He simply sells them for fraction of their real price Sad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The repairmen can't do anything??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea. Professional repairmen are very rare and expensive here. Almost mint MC Flektogon 35/2.4 costs about $100 and typical repair about $60...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will pass it to a new topic.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
DSG wrote:

I tested about 10-15 50/1.4 Takumars and each of them was in perfect mechanical condition. My friend resells CZJ lenses and about 1/3 of them have stiff focusing or problems with diaphragm (quite typical problem is diaphragm working only in horizontal position - when you direct the camera up a bit, the blades don't respond...).

But your talking about pre-fall of the Berlin wall- East German Carl Zeiss Jena lenses, not West German and Japanese Carl Zeiss lenses...The names may be very similar but there is a huge difference between the two in both mechanical and optical quality.
Carl Zeiss lenses are nice but at a price but Carl Zeiss Jena's are only worth a tenner! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I consider Pancolar and Takumar as direct competitors (similar timeframe, similar price range) and for me, Takumar is the winner. I can't compare incomparable. Newer Zeiss/Contax lenses can be better for sure, but they are a lot expensive too.

Here are samples of SMC 50/1.4, Planar T* 50/1.4 and Sigma 50/1.4. Both of them are better than the Sigma and entire difference between SMC and Planar seems to come from sligtly shorter focal length of SMC (either the SMC is <50mm>50mm)

http://210.238.185.197/%7Emaro/lens_test/50_14_s_vs_t_56.jpg
http://210.238.185.197/%7Emaro/lens_test/50_14_s_vs_z_56.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DSG"][quote="no-X"][quote="DSG"]Because Carl Zeiss make better lenses than Pentax...Not just optically but mechanically too. Wink[/quote]
[/quote]

But your talking about pre-fall of the Berlin wall- East German Carl Zeiss Jena lenses, not West German and Japanese Carl Zeiss lenses...The names may be very similar but there is a huge difference between the two in both mechanical and optical quality.
Carl Zeiss lenses are nice but at a price but Carl Zeiss Jena's are only worth a tenner! Very Happy[/quote]

dsg

Not all the zeiss contax are better opticaly than czj.
The pancolar 50/1,8 is better optically, in my copies, than the planar 50/1,7 and 1,4.
The same I can say about the czj 135/3,5. It's better, for me of course, than the zeiss contax 135/2,8.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Yes, but I consider Pancolar and Takumar as direct competitors (similar timeframe, similar price range) and for me, Takumar is the winner. I can't compare incomparable. Newer Zeiss/Contax lenses can be better for sure, but they are a lot expensive too.

Here are samples of SMC 50/1.4, Planar T* 50/1.4 and Sigma 50/1.4. Both of them are better than the Sigma and entire difference between SMC and Planar seems to come from sligtly shorter focal length of SMC (either the SMC is <50mm>50mm)

http://210.238.185.197/%7Emaro/lens_test/50_14_s_vs_t_56.jpg
http://210.238.185.197/%7Emaro/lens_test/50_14_s_vs_z_56.jpg

Having examined them very closely I really dont know how you could think the Sigma is worse than the other two?
The Sigma the the Ziess have very similar contrast but the Pentax has noticably lower contrast than the other two, so in that respect its the worst of the three.
I found it extremely difficult to find any differences in resolution between the three...Assuming the focus is bang on infinity (and it may not be) the Zeiss appears to have a tiny edge in resolving detail in the most distant areas of the town but the Sigma seems to better on the closer buildings.
But its not a fair comparison really because all three were at f5.6 and its well known that the Sigma is designed to be, and is, very sharp WO so a fairer test would be to set all three of them to WO and then take pics of the same subject with each...Then I reckon the Sigma will walk it! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Having examined them very closely I really dont know how you could think the Sigma is worse than the other two?

CA

look at highlited edges:

This crop si recompressed, so it would be better to compare the original files, but you will see, that SMC and Zeiss are almost free of CA when compared to Sigma...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious to know. This softness you speak of what versions of Takumar's are you talking about?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my experience, Takumar loses contrast rather than sharpness:

http://photoweb.xf.cz/lenses/set1.png

(the DS-M is sharpest WO Tomioka 5xmm lens I know)