Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best M42 lenses(?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These sorts of discussions are interesting and provocative Razz but folks, don't get your knickers in knots because someone doesn't rate your favorite in the same order as you might. The truth is, there is no ONE best lens or brand of lenses , there are flavors of excellence and styles. And past a certain point even these differences don't mean a whole lot in the overall photographic process.

I like this from Rino:

estudleon wrote:
NO-X

And what happen if you must choose only one Flekt 20mm. F/2,8 or F/4?

Is the F/2,8 as good for arch as the F/4 and the F/4 as good for nature

as the F/2,8?. The answer is NO, endeed.

But in the compromise I prefer less sharpness and NOT distortion.

For my taste, the choose is the F/4 flekt

Rino

Every lens ever made is a compromise, and while one may prefer one way, the next person may prefer the other way.

Even the best lenses are compromises and there's no shame in understanding where the lens is compromising.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
I am curious to know. This softness you speak of

Its more like severe coma when WO.

zewrak wrote:

What versions of Takumar's are you talking about?

The 50mm f1.4 Super Takumar. However, there are actually two versions of that lens, the early 8 element version and the later 7 element version and I dont know which one I had as it is'nt marked on the lens...Perhaps its possible to say which is which by the serial number but I would have to search back to photos from about 5 years ago or more to find pics containing its seral number.
Another worry with the Takumars is that they use Radioactive Thorium glass elements...Keep one in your pocket for any length of time and you could get a dangerous dose! Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 4 versions of Asahi 50/1.4:

Super Takumar - 8 elemens, 6 blades, no thorium (one more element instead), kills 5D and SD14 (the additional element protrudes too much). I have never seen this lens, it is probably quite rare.

Super Takumar - 7 elements, 6 blades, thoriated glass. This later version use experimental MC (3-4 layers, you can find slightly differently colored samples)

S-M-C - 7 elements, 8 blades, thoriated glass, MC (7 layers)

SMC - 7 elements, 8 blades, thoriated glass, MC (7 layers), cheaper rubber focusing ring, some sources said, that SMC was aimed for price and checkout inspection wasn't as precise, as for S-M-C

All versions should be identical optically.

As for thoriated back element - majority of Tomioka lenses use it too, but Tomioka switched to different otical glue earlier than Asahi, so their lenses don't become yellow, so nobody cares about their radioactivity, because allmost nobody knows about it Very Happy Did anybody tested CZJ 55/1.4 for radioactivity? I'd be no surprised if this lens use thorium, too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
zewrak wrote:

zewrak wrote:

The 50mm f1.4 Super Takumar. However, there are actually two versions of that lens, the early 8 element version and the later 7 element version and I dont know which one I had as it is'nt marked on the lens...Perhaps its possible to say which is which by the serial number but I would have to search back to photos from about 5 years ago or more to find pics containing its seral number.
Another worry with the Takumars is that they use Radioactive Thorium glass elements...Keep one in your pocket for any length of time and you could get a dangerous dose! Shocked

I'm sorry but I have no idea how you could come to the conclusion that it is that bad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this list, although it is hard to say what "the best" really means.

My "best" lenses are those that I like the best. It might easily be that others don't agree or have different preferences.
Just have a look at all the 28mm lenses I have shot with:

* Vivitar MC Close Focus Wide Angle 2.0/28 (Komine)
* Olympus Zuiko Auto-W 3.5/28
* Kiron 2.0/28 MC
* Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 2.5/28 (Kiron)
* Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 2.8/28 (Komine) - gave it to my dad
* Pentax-M SMC 2.8/28
* Yashica ML 2.8/28 - sold
* Petri 2.8/28 MC Macro
* Super Albinar 2.8/28 SC
* Raynox Auto 2.8/28 - sold
* Canon EF 2.8/28 (AF!) - sold

There are some quite good lenses in this list, but the one I like the most at the moment is my Vivitar MC 2.0/28 (Komine).
I think hardly anybody would have guessed that. I believe most users would consider the Yashica, the Pentax or the Zuiko to be my No.1.
(OK, the Zuiko and the M-Pentax are great! The Yashica I have sold because it has some value.)

Anyway, this list in the first post really can help new users to decide!
That's great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Is there any difference in sharpness and CA between the 28/2.8 and 28/2 Komine Vivitars?

If you should choose about 3 of these lenses, which would it be? (I'll post them into the main list).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

If you should choose about 3 of these lenses, which would it be? (I'll post them into the main list).

* Vivitar MC Close Focus Wide Angle 2.0/28 (Komine)
* Olympus Zuiko Auto-W 3.5/28
* Pentax-M SMC 2.8/28

But no good for your list, really, since they are not M42 lenses!

My fav M42s?

* Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 2.5/28 (Kiron)
* Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 2.8/28 (Komine)
* Petri 2.8/28 MC Macro (optically surprisingly nice but made of plastic!)

no-X wrote:
Is there any difference in sharpness and CA between the 28/2.8 and 28/2 Komine Vivitars?

Hardly any CA (if at all, only when wide open) and the 28/2 seems to be even sharper than the 28/2.8 - but that's very hard to tell.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine. I had Kiron 28/2.5 too, but Komine 28/2.8 was much better, so I sold it. Maybe my copy wasn't as good as yours.

Here are some supermarket samples (as I found out, poilu really loves them)

CA + sharpness, bottom right corner at f/8:

Tokina is the sharpest, Komine has lowest CA.

at f/2.8 (upper left corner):

Again, Tokina is the sharpest (!), Komine has lowest CA

I'd like to found a lens, which would be as sharp, as Tokina, but produce lower CA - unfortunately, this level is really disturbing even on downscaled images Sad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vivitar TX 135/2.5 that is razor sharp with some of the creamest bokeh I have ever seen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pressureworld"]I have a vivitar TX 135/2.5 that is razor sharp with some of the creamest bokeh I have ever seen[/quote]

RAzor sharp and creamest bokeh, are compatibles?

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rino wrote:
RAzor sharp and creamest bokeh, are compatibles?

Zeiss Cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pressureworld wrote:
I have a vivitar TX 135/2.5 that is razor sharp with some of the creamest bokeh I have ever seen

Could I ask you for its serial number?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="poilu"][quote="Rino"]RAzor sharp and creamest bokeh, are compatibles?[/quote]
Zeiss Cool[/quote]

Hi, Poilu!

Yes, all know the quality of leica and zeiss lenses, of course. But I think that the great acutance of this lenses be expand over the bokeh too, making it something hard (and beautifull too).

More creamest bokeh I find in some russians lenses and, for example, in Helios 44-2 and in german Pentacon 135/2,8.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
zewrak wrote:

zewrak wrote:

Okay, I found this old pic of my Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 from four years ago:

It shows the serial number to be: 1385439...Does anyone know how to tell which of the four different versions of this lens it is by the serial number?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is first or second version. The sn seems to be very low, all of 50/1.4 taks I had in my hands, was marked by higher sn.

e.g.

2193807 - Super Takumar (2nd)
3783496 - Super Takumar (2nd)
4109041 - Super Takumar (2nd)
4338677 - Super Takumar (2nd)
4628847 - S-M-C (3rd) - I use this one
4786368 - S-M-C (3rd)
5657191 - S-M-C (3rd)
7334420 - SMC (4th)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial numbers are unreliable on Takumars. You need the model number on the M/A switch, to be sure. The serials were pretty much pulled out of a hat.

Anyways. I have the S-M-C version and maybe for some odd reason it performs better then the Super-Takumar. I don't know why that would be, since in my experience so far, it's the other way around. But in my opinion the 1.4 is quite sharp wide open and I can't really see this "coma".

Although, considering you do have a small number, it is possible that you have the first version which has a bit of a different construction.