Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My 400D has gone and a new 5D is my new baby :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should be my new DSLR?
[900USD] moderate cost, high end cropped sensor: Canon EOS 40D
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
[1400USD] Hi-tech freaks's ultra high end cropped sensor: Canon EOS 50D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
[1600USD] Old but still beautifull :) ultra wide available goddess full frame: Canon EOS 5D
85%
 85%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: My 400D has gone and a new 5D is my new baby :) Reply with quote

Quote:
EDIT: I've bought a 5D, thanks everybody for your help Wink

I've sold my 400D, battery grip, lot's of extras and 4 MF lenses and made 860 USD. I'm selling some stuff to and after adding some from the next month's sallary I can manage to have a budget that will be enough to buy a used 5D or I have a 40D budget at the moment.

1700USD is my psychological border, I can't pass that line Smile
50D is a very week choice as I don't want to see more than 10MP in a cropped sensor so my main concern is should I buy a modern 1.6X EOS which is 40D or full frame goddess 5D Smile
I've looked at Ken Rockwell's 5D vs D200 comparision shots and I must say that the difference in quality is very obvious!
What type am I?
# Am I a speed addict? NO! 6.5fps is much more than I need.
# I will shoot strobist style, home studio, more light and want the highest possible results.
# I'm planning to make a internet site based on city guide so lot's of lanscape shots are planned in the near future so hurray for ultra wides!
# I'll mainly and mostly use my MF as the rest of you Smile My Rollei QBMs will have the lead roles.
# I don't want to shoot concerts anymore as the picture doesn't just depend on me and I don't earn anything from it and it resulted 19K auctiations on my 400D (400-500 shots for a concert!), I don't want the same for my new cam so I don't need an ultra high ISO success.

What will I pay (I'll buy from USA, will send via wire transfer and my friend will send me the DSLR, no customs or whatsoever)?
# 40D, new : 830-900 USD, I can buy this month
# 50D, new : 1400USD, it is too much difference to spend I guess, weak choice
# 5D, used : 1450-1700USD (need some luck!), I don't care the auctuations as this can bare to 150,000. Edit: looks like officially 100K

So what do you say? What should I buy?

Nice database Smile
http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos5d.htm

Last edited by yalcinaydin on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:26 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5D

Full frame trumps digic III or IV if you will shoot studio and landscapes
Those wides don't mean anything unless you have full frame.
My 5D is reserved for a member If he does take a pass the price will fit close to your budget and is mint with less than 3K clicks.
Don't need to find out about mine many are available at that price point although maybe not as nice.

For what you just described it is your best choice. The 40D and 50D are cleaner at high ISO and have dust reduction.
These two features will never make up for the crop for type of use you describe.

Hope that helps you

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the 5D choice.

I'd wait the new model before making the final decision though. For two reasons, the first because probably we'll have more and more old used 5D on sale and a probable price drop, the second if the new model will be significantly better to justify a greater expense.

I'm not talking about MP silliness, 12 MP are enough for 99% of the situations (and if you have to go further better switch to medium or, better, large format film) but for example also in studio shots working with a 14 bit sensor and low noise like the full frame Nikons really makes a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
5D
My 5D is reserved for a member If he does take a pass the price will fit close to your budget and is mint with less than 3K clicks.

Thanks a lot, buying from a MFlenses member would be also my first choice and especially if the one has a shaved mirror Smile

A G Photography wrote:
I agree with the 5D choice.

I'd wait the new model before making the final decision though. For two reasons, the first because probably we'll have more and more old used 5D on sale and a probable price drop, the second if the new model will be significantly better to justify a greater expense.

I'm not talking about MP silliness, 12 MP are enough for 99% of the situations (and if you have to go further better switch to medium or, better, large format film) but for example also in studio shots working with a 14 bit sensor and low noise like the full frame Nikons really makes a difference.

New model will be a lot expensive than my 1700USD budget Smile I'm expecting to see something 2500-3000USD to compete with D700 but even 2500 USD is a lot expensive. In turkey I have the opportunity of selling the camera to a price that I buy as it is really expensive in here. Price of Canon 5D with Turkish guarantee is just crazy: 4500USD Shocked (2500USD in gray market) By the way I won't buy immediately but must buy next month as my friend will be here on the beginning of the november.

I can buy new 5D from USA again selling mine in Turkey without a loss.
I'm sticking to Canon mount because of my current lens line and like Canon more than Nikon although I respect them more as a photographic equipment brand Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find a good copy for the money you are willing to spend, go for the 5D. If not, the 40D will be a great choice as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5D without a doubt - especially for WA.

And once you've experienced the VF on the 5D, you may not want to go back to a crop cam.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy used 1Ds. You get them for like 1500 $ : Click here to see on Ebay. Why? Beacuse it is so cool! Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on using manual focus lenses as your main tool, then 5D is the choice, although in all honesty the 40D is clearly a more advanced technology machine.

Be aware however that with 5D some of your manual focus lenses may not work due to mirror interference. If you post a list we can help you in identifying the potential incompatibilities.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it'd be silly not to wait for Photokina - Canon may announce a new model and then all the people who like cameras but never take photos will sell their mint condition 5D.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5D without question - but again wait until after Photokina when prices will drop if a replacement is released.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. As I don't have the enough cash at the moment will not have either until the 1st of september (salary date:)) I'll be waiting the Photokina Very Happy

I've seen one in mint condition under 3K shutter selling for 1600USD, there are also some for 1450-1500 range but were sold. Anyways now there are lot's of 5Ds and 40Ds on the market and their numbers will increase by the end of this month.

If I buy an used 5D, I'll shave the mirror as I have two Rollei Planar 50/1.8's Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, is there any crop factor DSLRs (Pentax ist*DS maybe?) out there that has a optical viewfinder as good as 5D or 5D has no competition in this area?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:
Just curious, is there any crop factor DSLRs (Pentax ist*DS maybe?) out there that has a optical viewfinder as good as 5D or 5D has no competition in this area?

The 40D viewfinder is reportedly very good, plus you can interchange the focusing screen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The 40D viewfinder is reportedly very good, plus you can interchange the focusing screen.

Then before spending a lot of hard earned money I should spend some time with my friend's 40D Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5D, even a second hand one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony A900 is a very good news for me Smile 24MP FF from just 2999USD will sure bring a lot pressure to Canon in the price matter and as we now that Canon is always competitive in prices, so I don't expect the new 5DmkII to be more expensive than 2999USD. I see 5D in big stores still have a high 2299USD price tag so can we expect a 'big' price reduction? I'm not expecting to see a 5D with 1000USD price tag but something like 1600-1700USD would be nice Very Happy As I will modify the mirror I don't want to buy a new body, nicely used 2nd hand body is better and with modified mirror even more sweet.

Am I just dreaming?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't expecting this but I've got a really nice offer and found a very clean 5D with just 2.5K click and full box for just 1560USD (1050 Euros) which is a really great price for Turkey and even for USA Smile He has bought a new D700 and no place for the lovely 5D so this is my luck; no bank wire transfer no 'if?'s, no disturbing my American (also Turkish Smile) friend, I'm really happy at the moment Laughing

I've 1000USD ready, not enough but he will reserve me for 3 days and as I've 2 weeks to payday I'll find 560USD from friends and buy this one so my new 5D will arrive in a week!

My Rolleis will have the body to be mounted as soon as they arrive me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 40D but voted for the 5D.

Wide angle MF lenses aren't that wide on a crop. Although, the live view is great for focus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have a 40D but voted for the 5D.

Wide angle MF lenses aren't that wide on a crop. Although, the live view is great for focus.

My best friend has 40D, we'll make a comparision test, 40D vs 5D, using my Rolleis but I can guess who will excel in picture quality which is my priority Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

# This is big and heavy Very Happy
I wasn't expected this much difference as I haven't seen a 5D before but when compared with my previous DSLR, 400D, the difference is obvious.
# looks pro even when compared with 400D+Battery Grip.
# I've loved the mirror sound
# optical viewfinder is great, 400D's was really dark and small, just this one is enough to buy a 5D Very Happy
# I had a difficulty at first as I struggled to see the main setting on the preview LCD then realised that they're all located on the top LCD Smile
# I wish I didn't have myopia and astigmatism as my contact-lense moves it's very hard to do a proper focus but AF confirm chip is really helpfull, I must find a way to use my Rolleis with the chip, let's do some R&D.

And here comes the questions:
1) the seller told me that the click number was 2500 but in thre preview mode I read 155-9104. Doesn't this mean it has minimum 9104 cliks?
2) Is there anybody using battery grip with it? I'm not a skinny person but I guess the body+BG will be more than 1kg and with my EF 28-135 IS USM, like 1.5kg Smile I'll propabably buy but just wanted to ask Smile
3) Mirror shaving Smile What do you think about it and how much will I need, I've seen a tutorial but it looks kind of scary Smile
Mirror clearence. My planar 50/1.8s will be problem so I guess I need the shaving process, any suggestions or warnings?
4) Does Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 17/3.5 has issues with mirror?

I guess this is all for now Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can, I will anwer your questions.

1) It seems that you are right. The camera has at least 9104 clicks.
2) I do not use BG, so cannot comment
3) I am going to do it, but not now. Looks scary, though I have to.
So let's do it. Very Happy
You mean 'planar 50/1.8' is QBM mount one, there is QMB->EOS
adapter available at ELEFOTO, two kinds. They are pricey.
4) I cannot comment this, since I do not have Tamron 17/3.5.

Anyway, congrats.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:
... I must find a way to use my Rolleis with the chip, let's do some R&D.

None of my Rolleis have arrived yet so I can't tell for 100% sure but the Rollei-QBM adapter has a metal part towards the back of it and it is nearly touching the lens connection pins of the body which makes no room for the AFC chip so it looks not possible to put a AFC chip on the adapter Sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm 100% that there is no room for the chip Sad