Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

meet the meat ants
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: meet the meat ants Reply with quote

a very important part of the aussie ecosystem, meat ants clean up all sorts of dead and rotting animal matter (hence the name). just dont stand on thier nest for too long!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yukkk - but great pics. Are they poisonous too?

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and no... they dont have stingers like some poisonous ants but thier saliva has a stinging substance to it... needless to say if you are bitten you wont die but you will know about it!

these are about 1cm long

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Ving! you get your dose of adrenaline!
how close have you get? nice shots!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that last one sees you, and they'll be plotting to come after you Shocked

nice shots!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was a good 20cm away Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ving wrote:
i was a good 20cm away Smile

They attack living beings? Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely and rare captures! I love all of them well done!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, heres a different species for you. these are sugar ants and couldnt be any different to the meat ants if they tried. they are about the same size but are primarily nectar gatherers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ving,
What lens did you use for the captures? Any cropping of the images?...Nice photos!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi scott, I do not crop anything.
the setup is as the picture. nikon d40, pk13 extension, 3xtc and nikon 55mm f3.5 micro. the picture has a reversed e-series 50mm but i didnt use that in these pics Smile