Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pre-sharpening or sharpening?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Pre-sharpening or sharpening? Reply with quote

When having to resize for web, I think I am obtaining better (=less jagged) result by applying a slight sharpening to the converted RAW at full size, then resize down to web size by resampling with Genuine Fractals, without further sharpening afterwards, than by resizing the non-sharpened photo and then apply a slight sharpening to the smaller image.

The two final images seem about the same clarity to me, but those made with the first method seem to display less jagging on critical areas.
It's just a small difference though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally sharpen after resizing. But for high quality I use a mask with which I exclude plain areas and just sharpen the contrast edges...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine Fractals is simply the best resizer out there . . however . . you can use the sharpening at the same size and it's really good. Try a chot then sharpen it between 10 and 100, threshold at 0, radius at 1.

Works great

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine Fractals was made with enlarging in mind. For downsized images i use plain bicubic sharper from ps. Regarding sharpening there are lot's of techniques but choosing the right one for every image it's quite a matter of „science“. I cannot advocate more the excellent book Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop CS2 and the great tool that is PixelGenius PhotoKit Sharpener.
Disclaimer: I've no connections at all with Bruce Fraser or PixelGenius.