Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lenses wider than 24mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Lenses wider than 24mm Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a lens wider than 24mm for my d70s. This will serve several purposes: first I'll have a nice wide angle prime for my crop cam and second I'll use the same lens underwater as a nearly normal lens (inside the UW housing obviously).

I read reviews about russian 20mm lenses, nikkor 20mms, czj lenses but every review has good and bad points most of which cannot be easily compareable with other lenses.

As I understood russians are good performers and relatively cheap, nikkors always deliver certain standarts but pricey, czjs are very pricey and good but nearly non-existent in Turkey second hand and so on.

Therefore I need some assistance. Is there anyone who had a chance to compare wide lenses (not fisheye). What I need is a good performing average priced wide angle lens for the beginning. Compactness and low light capability are bonuses but an 2,8 or 3,5 aperture lens will not make so much difference for me. A slower but a better performing lens would be my first choice.

Due to lack of knowledge I can't even differentiate between different russian 20mm lenses therefore I'd be very glad if you could help.

Regards

yucel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experience with following wide angle lenses.

Nikkor UD 20mm f3.5
Nikkor 18mm f3.5
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f2.8 MC
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f4
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 25mm f4
Olympus OM 18mm f3.5
Olympus OM 21mm f3.5
Tamron SP 17mm f3.5
Vivitar 19mm I don't remember for f value.

From above list I sold only Nikkor 18mm and Vivitar 19mm.

Flektogon quality is depend from samples, all are good , some of them extra ordinary good.

You can't go wrong any of them from above list.
I think any Nikkor 20mm lens can be a very good and not expensive choice.

I not recommend much cheap lenses like Vivitar or similar.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-M-C Takumar 20/4.5

Quite slow but a nice lens, with rather spectacular colours.

Only had one example online (don't use wideangle that much)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! So, so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very beautiful!!
Unfortunately I have a nikon body.
Nikkors or f mount japanese/russian lenses are the only choices for me.
Don't know if a SMC Takumar can be fitted to Nikon.
I guess I can modify a zuiko lens to fit nikon, register distance is 0,5 mm less which can be fixed with machining a male f mount but not sure about mirror clearance issues etc. Just an idea.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case take Nikkor lens, any of them a good lens. Patrick and Richard so happy with their 4/20 Nikkor. I am happy with my Nikkor UD even if I have more expensive zuiko 18mm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also recommend the 20/2.8 and the Tokina 17/3.5 is not at all bad.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with 20mm f2.8 Nikkor AIs, much better than the 20mm AFD I had beforehand. Wasn't cheap though...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all replies.

I'll try to get a 20mm nikkor.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yucel wrote:
Yes, very beautiful!!
Unfortunately I have a nikon body.
Nikkors or f mount japanese/russian lenses are the only choices for me.
Don't know if a SMC Takumar can be fitted to Nikon.
I guess I can modify a zuiko lens to fit nikon, register distance is 0,5 mm less which can be fixed with machining a male f mount but not sure about mirror clearance issues etc. Just an idea.

You should look for a Tokina 17mm f3.5. Mine is the TL coated version and it came in Minolta MD mount but I also had an M42 mount Tokina 24mm f2.8 that I was'nt using much and as the two have interchangable mounting plates I simply swapped them over to make the 17mm into an M42 mount lens. You might be able to get a Nikon mount version as well?
Its may not be the sharpest <20mm lens in the world but it is'nt bad either:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Tokina 17mm 3.5 RMC and was impressed for the cost, needs stopping down a stop or two and is a little lacking in contrast but basically sharp and low distortion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f4...beautiful. Nice colours and I just love taking pictures with it.

Regards,

Fer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it does not come in a nikon fitting....

Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... for Nikon, but not for all pockets, there's this...:

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9/ContentsWWWIntern/E0943E181906E994C125746C0053918C#1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my MIR 3.5/20 to fit my Nikon D70 yesterday.
Odd creature. Shaped like a funnel and lens cover in stamped aluminum plate.
I have only taken a few pictures yet, but so far I like what I see. Colours come out well saturated, and sharpness seems to be ok.
I will probably post more pictures if I get any good ones.