Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Guess the Bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Guess the Bokeh Reply with quote

Shot on the Canon 5D (finally Very Happy )
Wide open at 1.5 (big hint!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios-40 or 40-2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big hint, big lens! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Helios-40.

Still have a lot to learn when shooting with the 5D.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the perspective... and colors.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing lens and camera....... Auhhhhh camera envy Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael
That is one of the most frustrating lenses I have ever used. I still cannot anticipate what effect I might get from it and the boke can be awful

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Michael
That is one of the most frustrating lenses I have ever used. I still cannot anticipate what effect I might get from it and the boke can be awful

patrickh

But it looks cool on the camera.

I pointed it in the direction of the sun a couple times just to see what it would do. I didn't even release the shutter, could see how bad it was in the viewfinder. I am going to experiment with this lens a bit more when time permits.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use it stopped down Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Helios 85 vs Zeiss 85 Reply with quote

I have the Helios 40 85mm f1.5 and I have compared it to the Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T*.
The Zeiss is'nt really niticably sharper than the Helios WO but the where there is'nt too much much fine detail in the subject the bokeh of each is almost identical:

However, where there is a lot fine detail, the Zeiss has smoother bokeh at the corners with the smoothness of bokeh at the center being virtually identical to the Helios:

There is a noticable difference in the shape of each lenses OOF highlights though as the Helios OOF highlights look eliptical where the Zeiss OOF highlights look much more circular:

Conclusion: The Zeiss is clearly the better lens but you can get similar results with the Helios, for a lot less money. Wink

Images resized - please observe the 900 width limit or post in the oversized gallery. Thankyou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, the mystery pic has not only the elliptical highlights in the bokeh but I see the swirly thing going on as well.

What is it that makes that swirly thing happen?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Interesting, the mystery pic has not only the elliptical highlights in the bokeh but I see the swirly thing going on as well.

What is it that makes that swirly thing happen?

Dont know...I only know that its not the iris causing the problem because my Helios 40 does'nt have one!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike your copy of this lens has the Bokeh that people look for. I have seen some with a less pronounced effect.
That swirling "halo" is what people love from this lens. You should keep it for sure. Use becomes easier with practice.
Not all copies have this effect so pronounced. You have what people want and desire from this lens.
I don't think it is realistic to compare the Planar with the Helios.
The Helios open is almost a kind of "special effects" lens that yes, is quite sharp stopped down. I don't imply it was designed this way however.
The planar is more for consistent performance across the apertures and classic Zeiss.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This swirling effect would not be there if the highlights were circular.
But in the first pic the bokeh highlights are ovals each with a transversal axis in different angles that follow the tangent of one big circle which creates this swriling effect.

BTW, congratulations to both the lens and the cam! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helios-40 magic lens ...

f/1.5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I was keeping this one anyway Cool

Have had the 5D for a little while, just never want to put my Nikons down Very Happy

My D3 is perfect for everything (except mounting other manufacturers lenses) Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the following might be interesting.

Helios 40-2 with Kood infinity (glass) adapter on Nikon D40x; ambient + flash; hand held (shake - the lens is heavy); "rough and ready" edit.

Subject from the front f/5.6

Now from the side, f/1.5

100% crop

and another

f/4

50% crop